Overscan issue w/ 360

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
I have my 360 Elite hooked up to my XBR970 via HDMI and have issues with overscan :eek:.

These are screen shots from the same Halo3 : E3 2007 Trailer. You can see a difference in the two. Top is on my TV via 360 and bottom is on my HP LCD via WMP, more picture on bottom pic. (not too good with free hand lines, but figure i'm loosing up to an inch on both sides:mad:)

I guess I will be calling out the Elite;)Technicians ASAP to have this fixed!
2yr. manf. warranty and 5yr. store warranty! Both say do to size and weight of this beast, I get in home service:D.

hyghwayman

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
My samsung DLP tv overscans as well when using HDMI. I went into the service menu, but still didn't see anything for overscan adjustment... it's not bad enough to bother me though.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Overscan is pretty typical with RP CRT's. It almost looks like you may have some screen geometry issues as well, those windows in the first pic don't look the same shape as in pic #2. Good luck with the tech's and let us know how it goes.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Overscan is pretty typical with RP CRT's. It almost looks like you may have some screen geometry issues as well, those windows in the first pic don't look the same shape as in pic #2. Good luck with the tech's and let us know how it goes.

After reading your post, I went back and looked at both pictures. What I did see, is that not only am I loosing some picture on both sides I'm also loosing picture on top and bottom too due to overscan:mad:. I do have slight Geometry issues with this TV as well; (top left, bottom left dip down and bottom center bows up slightly) but it never bothered me that much.
The windows look ok to me but I may just be in a mode of denial:eek:.

You can see the dippy:p of the top left corner in this picture.

hyghwayman

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Do you have overscan issues from a non-HDMI connection?

I've got overscan issues also but it comes from just about all sources and not just HDMI.

BTW: I noticed the overscan issues when I started adding subtitles to some DVDs that I own. I don't even want to say how bad the overscan was :)

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Do you have overscan issues from a non-HDMI connection?

I've got overscan issues also but it comes from just about all sources and not just HDMI.

BTW: I noticed the overscan issues when I started adding subtitles to some DVDs that I own. I don't even want to say how bad the overscan was :)

You said you don't want to say how bad the overscan was.
Did you get it fixed? If so how did you go about it?

I contacted Sony support vai live chat over the internet. The person I was chatting said the both of my issues (overscan and geometry) were covered by the 2yr warranty.

hyghwayman

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
The person I was chatting said the both of my issues (overscan and geometry) were covered by the 2yr warranty.

hyghwayman
That's really good, props to Sony for not telling you "too bad" which is what I expected to be honest. Are theyh coming to your house to fix it?

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
That's really good, props to Sony for not telling you "too bad" which is what I expected to be honest. Are they coming to your house to fix it?
Yes I to didn't think the CSR would openly say my issues where covered by the warranty.

Well that's another story:rolleyes:. Where I live there is only 1 Auth. Serv. Center (ASC) in my zipcode. They are on the other side of town and I wouldn't trust them w/ a rock. There is another company that is a ASC, 1 zipcode to the south of me that I would prefer to use. Using the Sony eSupport site I just submitted a request for repair using the ASC that is closer to me and the one I want. In my confirmation, it says;

"A Sony Authorized Technical Support representative will contact you prior to 5:00pm during the next business day to discuss the problem with your TV and review your appointment."

So I guess I will know some time Tuesday if I will be able to use my preferred ASC.
The soonest I could schedule my appointment for was September 25th 2007, but I will be sure to keep everyone updated as to how this goes.

hyghwayman

P.S. here is a small part of my chat w/ Sony

Larry_ > Hi Donald. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Larry. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
Larry_ > Thank you for waiting, Donald.I understand that you're getting black bars on both the sides of the TV. Is that right?
Donald Benson > No, I'm not getting any black bars at all. The picture fills the screen completely, too far.
Donald Benson > I have one more question to ask you about this TV. I also notice some geomentry bending at the top left, bottom left (picture dips down about 1/2" and bows up slightly in the middle on the bottom)
Donald Benson > Can this be corrected by a qualified Technician?
Larry_ > Yes, Donald:D.
Donald Benson > Do you have any info that may help me with this ?
Larry_ > Yes, Donald. The unit is under warranty for 2 years on parts and on labor.
Larry_ > Donald, as the TV is under warranty, the service will be free of cost:D.
Donald Benson > Once again, thank you very much for your time this morning and have a great day!
Larry_ > You're welcome.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Update....

Got the call yesterday from the ASC that I wanted to have look at my set.

The person on the other end asked me a few questions to verify my issues and to determine if a visit to my house would produce a positive outcome. After about 10 minuets on the phone he said he would forward my request to another phone Tech. that would call to set up the appointment. That call came about two hours later, with more question to determine my if a service call visit was indeed needed. After about fifteen minuets I was informed that my request for service would be granted.

So now it will be a waiting game until the 25th comes.

hyghwayman

Note: Just got a call at 7:20am this morning from the Technician that will be doing the work on my set. He wants to bump up my service date :D to sometime next week. Also he is driving from Cincinatti, Ohio to Dayton, Ohio :eek: which is a 47mi. road trip!

K

Kaizor

Enthusiast
Wow i was going over these posts and it was thinking do i have this issue and sadly i do i couldnt believe i never realized that. now i am getting really bothered by this situation. Hope everything works out for you, i am now on my quest to get it fixed as well lol

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
new pictures...

Wow i was going over these posts and it was thinking do i have this issue and sadly i do i couldnt believe i never realized that. now i am getting really bothered by this situation. Hope everything works out for you, i am now on my quest to get it fixed as well lol

Here are a couple of pictures I took today of the bowing on the bottom of the TV, I wanted something to show the Tech on Friday.

:eek:

These are from OTA SD​

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Servce Date has come and gone...

My Auth. Sony Serv. Tech. was very knowldgable and profiecent inside the service menu and my TV looks so much better than before. It was awesome watching him go through the service menu with such ease, it only took about an hour for him to address and fix both my Geometry and Underscan?Overscan problems:). Here are a few pictures to show how the TV looked before and after servcing.

I now have a little more understanding of how the service menu looks and works:cool:. That will make it easier for me to to go in there down the road when my TV is out of warranty;). I'll just leave it to the pro's while I'm covered under a 5yr. protection plan:D.

Before and after

Before and after

Good Day to ALL,
hyghwayman

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis