H

Haitred

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum. My name is David and I just treated myself to a new speaker set for my H/T. My current setup is a JVC RX-8020VBK and a JVC 7 disc DVD changer. I just bought a pair of JBL E100's for the fronts, E35 for the center and e10's for the surrounds. I have good cables running to all the speakers but when I played Bourne Identity in DTS on volume 7, it cuts off and says overload. If I play it in DD, it cuts off at volume 14. It clips off if there is action (gun shots or someone getting hit etc). I know now that it may not be a great receiver but is it the receiver? In stereo (120x2) it's fine. It’s 100x5 otherwise. Is it time for a new receiver or should I get this one checked out? I was looking at thishttp://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV2600.htm if that is the case. I would rather save the money if I could but I can't even watch a movie at a decent volume because of this.

Also, my brother in-law is recommending getting a processor and a power amp. I don't know much about this. Any info on both would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Haitred said:
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum. My name is David and I just treated myself to a new speaker set for my H/T. My current setup is a JVC RX-8020VBK and a JVC 7 disc DVD changer. I just bought a pair of JBL E100's for the fronts, E35 for the center and e10's for the surrounds. I have good cables running to all the speakers but when I played Bourne Identity in DTS on volume 7, it cuts off and says overload. If I play it in DD, it cuts off at volume 14. It clips off if there is action (gun shots or someone getting hit etc). I know now that it may not be a great receiver but is it the receiver? In stereo (120x2) it's fine. It’s 100x5 otherwise. Is it time for a new receiver or should I get this one checked out? I was looking at thishttp://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV2600.htm if that is the case. I would rather save the money if I could but I can't even watch a movie at a decent volume because of this.

Also, my brother in-law is recommending getting a processor and a power amp. I don't know much about this. Any info on both would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Well, those volume numbers are meaningless as it is not referenced to anything useful.
Maybe you are driving your system beyond its limits?
Did you even calibrate and level match all your channels with an spl meter and internal test tone or external test disc? That would tell us something. The speakers don't seem to be a difficult load to drive.

H

Haitred

Audiophyte
Understood. Not sure if I am over driving my system either. I never calibrated my system and not sure how. I will do some research on that and get back to you.

Thank you!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Haitred said:
Understood. Not sure if I am over driving my system either. I never calibrated my system and not sure how. I will do some research on that and get back to you.

Thank you!

Please search this site for that help, it is here but I don't have it at my finger tip:eek:

It is important to calibrate the channels properly to a known quantity. Then, we all can figure out issues.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
Even without calibrating, having the volume at 14 on a Dolby Digital/DTS source sounds very high to me. I did read somewhere that the dB voltage scale, or something like that, has 100 watt power-amp pre-amps having a maximum volume of something like 18.

You could check to see if there is a short-circuit occuring with the speaker cable.

I would have thought that a 100 watt amplifier would be sufficient in most situations. If your set up is in a large room and you are sitting some distance from your speakers, then you'd need probably a power amp of ~300 watts to get really high volumes, maybe even higher if your speakers are demanding.

A possible issue could be the LFE channel. If you're not using a subwoofer, and the amplifier is sending out the LFE to your main speakers, then this could be causing the overload. To disable the LFE channel, turn the subwoofer on in system settings, and set all your speakers to 'large'.

You should note that without a subwoofer, you are losing a large part of the possible dynamic range in DTS/Dolby Digital soundtracks. This could be why you are disappointed with the performance of your system. Use of bass and sub-bass (i.e. floor-shaking) is encouraged by THX as this is less tiring for audiences. To get true dynamic range from noisy DD/DTS soundtracks, your speakers and subwoofer have to be very capable of bass. This means 15 inch driver(s) on your subwoofer and big, efficient, floor standing speakers.

One other thing is that DTS soundtracks usually seem to have more bass than DD ones, so the DTS cut-off at a lower volume isn't at all surprising.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

tbewick said:
Even without calibrating, having the volume at 14 on a Dolby Digital/DTS source sounds very high to me. I did read somewhere that the dB voltage scale, or something like that, has 100 watt power-amp pre-amps having a maximum volume of something like 18.

You could check to see if there is a short-circuit occuring with the speaker cable.

I would have thought that a 100 watt amplifier would be sufficient in most situations. If your set up is in a large room and you are sitting some distance from your speakers, then you'd need probably a power amp of ~300 watts to get really high volumes, maybe even higher if your speakers are demanding.

A possible issue could be the LFE channel. If you're not using a subwoofer, and the amplifier is sending out the LFE to your main speakers, then this could be causing the overload. To disable the LFE channel, turn the subwoofer on in system settings, and set all your speakers to 'large'.

You should note that without a subwoofer, you are losing a large part of the possible dynamic range in DTS/Dolby Digital soundtracks. This could be why you are disappointed with the performance of your system. Use of bass and sub-bass (i.e. floor-shaking) is encouraged by THX as this is less tiring for audiences. To get true dynamic range from noisy DD/DTS soundtracks, your speakers and subwoofer have to be very capable of bass. This means 15 inch driver(s) on your subwoofer and big, efficient, floor standing speakers.

One other thing is that DTS soundtracks usually seem to have more bass than DD ones, so the DTS cut-off at a lower volume isn't at all surprising.

Do you know what that JVC indicates in volume numbers? Does it go to +14 from a - something? I don't know for sure.

Yes, a 100 watt amp should give lots of volume, most of the time. Right now though, I am uncomfortable with not knowing how his volume is set up, where and if it was properly set up in the first place, etc. Don't like too many unknowns.:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis