Overall, how would you rate the chat?

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Today I contacted opened a "live chat" session with one of Crutchfield's representatives. First time I've done this.

When Vern (not the real name) responded, I quickly asked my simple question. Within less than a minute Vern responded with the answer. I thank him and we both said good-bye and disconnected. The exchange was very short and perfunctory.

A few minutes later, I received an email from Crutchfield containing the short script of the conversation.

Then I received another email from Crutchfield with reference to Vern, asking, "Overall, how would you rate the chat?" I clicked "Excellent"

I immediately received this message:

"We’re happy Vern made you happy! If you want to share the joy, reward Vern with one of the options below."

"Below" consisted on three boxes, with a different graphic in each box. I could reward Vern with "Coffee," "Lunch," or "Product." I did not click on anything.

I just thought this was so wierd. I admit that it embarrassed me a little, and the unexpected effrontery managed to get under my skin a bit.

This would in no way change my mind about purchasing from Crutchfield if I felt the need to do so. But it does deter me from using the "Chat" function to find out more about their products.

Doesn't Crutchfield pay its people? Or is this the beginning of gratuity-based product assistance?

Disclaimer: Nothing against Vern -- he was efficient.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sounds like something new at Crutchfield. I've done that chat thing once and never had them ask me to 'pay' the advisor! I don't think the telephone talkers (at any company) get paid much more than minimum wage but I could be wrong. I've asked questions and sometimes they have to go get the answer from someone else. It's not fair for me to assume the person on the other end as 100% knowledge of every product on the planet. Crutchfield is a great place, when I had a problem (damaged speaker upon delivery), they replaced it no hassle.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't like retailers sites generally unless they have useful stuff like measurements....but anytime that chat thing comes up I mostly ignore it and sometimes tease them with info they just can't handle...

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Sounds like something new at Crutchfield. I've done that chat thing once and never had them ask me to 'pay' the advisor! I don't think the telephone talkers (at any company) get paid much more than minimum wage but I could be wrong. I've asked questions and sometimes they have to go get the answer from someone else. It's not fair for me to assume the person on the other end as 100% knowledge of every product on the planet. Crutchfield is a great place, when I had a problem (damaged speaker upon delivery), they replaced it no hassle.
Yeah, I don't know. Rex Reed once said that he NEVER tipped at restaurants because the management should pay their employees enough. It was just an odd event. Maybe if the Chat person had said, "Oh, but you don't need THAT, why don't you just get THIS and save yourself $300," I might have been more persuaded. Oh, well.

Really impressed with the depth of your AV equipment. I see you have 2 8-inch subs, rather than 10-inch subs, or something much larger. Interesting. I'm poking around for my first subwoofer and am always confused by discussions of the smaller sub "punch" vs the larger sub "reach."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I don't know. Rex Reed once said that he NEVER tipped at restaurants because the management should pay their employees enough. It was just an odd event. Maybe if the Chat person had said, "Oh, but you don't need THAT, why don't you just get THIS and save yourself $300," I might have been more persuaded. Oh, well.

Really impressed with the depth of your AV equipment. I see you have 2 8-inch subs, rather than 10-inch subs, or something much larger. Interesting. I'm poking around for my first subwoofer and am always confused by discussions of the smaller sub "punch" vs the larger sub "reach."
Smaller subs are simply limited, very hard for a 10" driver to be meaningful.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Don't like retailers sites generally unless they have useful stuff like measurements....but anytime that chat thing comes up I mostly ignore it and sometimes tease them with info they just can't handle...
Well, that's about what I going to do (ignore the Chat).

Seems there should be a preliminary note saying, "After consultation, you will be asked to rate the Chat Assistant and will be given an opportunity to compensate him/her if you choose to do so."

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Smaller subs are simply limited, very hard for a 10" driver to be meaningful.
Just that Mr. Magoo obviously seems very discriminating...The smaller subs (at least in pairs) must have something going for them. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

8 inch drivers can barely qualify as subs in most cases...smaller sub punch is usually bullshit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just that Mr. Magoo obviously seems very discriminating...The smaller subs (at least in pairs) must have something going for them. :)
Mr Magoo is very inexperienced, he's still feeling his way around here for the most part. If you want to base it on his experience/knowledge....meh

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Mr Magoo is very inexperienced, he's still feeling his way around here for the most part. If you want to base it on his experience/knowledge....meh
Oh, I don't know. "Every man is my master in that I may learn something about subwoofers from him."

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Whatever, your choice. I've built more subs than he's owned.
Out with it! What sub (subs?) are you running now for music? For HT? I do not for a moment doubt your knowledge or range of experience. I'm only here to learn.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Out with it! What sub (subs?) are you running now for music? For HT? I do not for a moment doubt your knowledge or range of experience. I'm only here to learn.
Why would a sub be for music rather than HT? That's silly unless you just lower your standards for one or the other. I have over 10 subs in the house at the moment, more in build mode. Crutchfield help...please.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Loving hd dude seems to know his stuff, while other poster i have on ignore list. I second the comment on 8" is not a sub. Simple math, the area of 10" driver is very significantly larger than one of 8". It's physical limitations of how much air could it move before distorting badly

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
On the original topic, Warby Parker (ID glasses) has the same thing. A few months back I had to ask them to fix a problem with some glasses I had ordered. (As an aside that company has great customer service). I contacted them by chat and the woman helping did a great job. At the end of the chat I was asked how she did and if I wanted to award her with coffee, lunch or product. I thought it was unique, but I actually liked it. She did an excellent job and it was a cool way to let the company know I was pleased. Whether she got any product as a result of my feedback, I will never know. But my take is that if you do not let a company know that their customer service is appreciated the company will stop caring about customer service.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis