Over ear headphone purchase suggestions

P

pizzafordinna

Audiophyte
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum and I'm an audio newbie so please bear with me if I ask the wrong questions or use the wrong terminology. I'm here to learn! I didn't get any responses over in the headphones section and I know it's bad to re-post, but i'm trying to get some advice before Christmas so have a little Christmas spirit and help me out!

I'm looking to buy a pair of over ear headphones between $100-$120. I purchased the Beats by Dre. Studios 4 years ago but they have fallen apart and I've been told on many different occasions that there are better headphones out there for less.

Let me describe my current audio habits. I primarily listen to music through my PC. I'm not using a soundcard: it's just the on-board audio chip. My music library isn't chocked full of high quality files (mostly Electronic). I game on my PC a lot; but not competitively or in any specific genre. I plan on buying a mic later down the road but it's not necessary right now. I don't need noise canceling (though it is nice) or any sort of bass boosting. My biggest complaint about my Beats is that they are pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

The only other headphone company that I've heard of is Seinheiser, so any discussion or feedback is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

P

pizzafordinna

Audiophyte
I think i've fallen in love! What a great suggestion: thanks for your help.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Imho ATH-M50 have are extremely overrated due to extremely overemphasized bass. I recommend to look for DJ open back headphones from this list:
These are built to be comfortably worn for extended time periods..
Samson RH100 Open, Reference Headphones | Sweetwater.com
Samson SR850 - Semi-Open, Studio Headphones | Sweetwater.com
Samson RH600 Open, Circumaural Reference Headphones | Sweetwater.com
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

Btw: I think it's worth to add a cheap dac/headphone amp - most PC's don't have good headphone to drive larger headphones:
NwAvGuy: Headphone Amps/DACs Explained

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I really, really can't agree that the ATH-M50 are "extremely" overemphasized on bass. There's a modest bass boost, not quite neutral, but not too bad. Head Room's measurements show about a broad, gradual 6db bass boost, which really isn't all that different from, say, how the Sennheiser HD650 measures, a model hardly thought of as a "bass monster". (The Senns have a broader "hump", centered a little higher in frequency, of about ~5db; important differences to be sure, but not radically different). I think the Audio Technica's are fairly neutral, with a tasteful amount of bass boosting if that's your thing. I love mine, and think they're an amazing value.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Like they say - it's in the "ear" of the beholder... They were no there close to be neutral for me, but ymmv.... I would take my Fostex T20RP over ATH50 any day
Just my 2c

But you like extra bass - than sure - you might like ATH50s

P

pizzafordinna

Audiophyte
I'm curious. All I've ever experienced before are the Beats by Dre. Studios. How does the bass boost in the ATH50 compare to the Beats? Is there a way to quantify the difference?

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Musical Instruments

I hope this link works ok. I researched headphones alot recently for a christmas gift. I did not persoally listen to these but was impressed by the review and the across the board praise that these headphones got for the price. In case the link does not work properly, they are Sony MDR-7506. A great review of them is on thewirecutter.com, under best $150 over ear headphones.

Again, I have not personally listened to these, but in my opinion, this review was much more extensive than what I am capable of, with very strong results from what seemed to me like a pretty good panel of judges, and judged against other top rated headphones. Will let you know after Christmas how they sound(they are for my wife) if I remember to pop back onto the thread.

The Best $150 Over-Ear Headphones | The Wirecutter

this should be the link for the review, the first one was an option on where to buy them.

Last edited:
P

Pat D

Audioholic
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum and I'm an audio newbie so please bear with me if I ask the wrong questions or use the wrong terminology. I'm here to learn! I didn't get any responses over in the headphones section and I know it's bad to re-post, but i'm trying to get some advice before Christmas so have a little Christmas spirit and help me out!

I'm looking to buy a pair of over ear headphones between $100-$120. I purchased the Beats by Dre. Studios 4 years ago but they have fallen apart and I've been told on many different occasions that there are better headphones out there for less.

Let me describe my current audio habits. I primarily listen to music through my PC. I'm not using a soundcard: it's just the on-board audio chip. My music library isn't chocked full of high quality files (mostly Electronic). I game on my PC a lot; but not competitively or in any specific genre. I plan on buying a mic later down the road but it's not necessary right now. I don't need noise canceling (though it is nice) or any sort of bass boosting. My biggest complaint about my Beats is that they are pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

The only other headphone company that I've heard of is Seinheiser, so any discussion or feedback is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
The first thing I will give is the link to HeadRoom. They do not always have the best prices, but they are a wonderful resource.

HeadRoom: Headphones: Full-Size, In-Ear, Wireless, Noise Cancelling, Headsets

Do you want closed back or open back headphones?

A few years ago, I got the closed back Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, which has very good sound isolation, but fit pretty tightly, though it was never a problem for me. It is easy to drive and our computer soundcards work fine with it. The sound is pretty good, very clear on voice, but not as warm, smooth, and spacious as some others. Later, I got the open backed Senn HD 598, which is warmer, smoother, and more spacious.

Based on the measurements at HeadRoom, plus their comments, these might be good bets in your price range.

For closed back, the Sennheiser HD 449 might be a good bet. HeadRoom thinks they will work very well from a computer soundcard, too.

For open back, the Sennheiser HD 518 might be a good bet. These use similar technology to my more expensive Senn HD 598. The measurements indicate they would be little warmer in sound. HeadRoom thinks they are easy to drive, and should work well from a computer soundcard.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
ATH-m50 ~$100
sennheiser amperior ~$130
grado sr60i ~$80

The m50s are over ear, the other two are on ear.

I love the grados...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis