Outlaw LFM EX v. Power Sound Audio XV15 v. any other sub under 750

D

dk10438

Enthusiast
a few more opinions please
I've decided to increase my budget to 750 or less and wanted to know peoples opinions on the LFM @600 dollars delivered or the XV15 (B stock) at 720 delivered. I know there isn't a lot of experience with the XV15, it appears as though the experience has generally been positive. I'd like to have a sub made in USA, but this isn't a critical.

so, do people think that
the XV15 is any better than the LFM EX sonically? or from a quality standpoint? Also, I know that the founders of PSA have a great pedigree, however, it is a new company and a new product and the warranty is only valid if the company remains in business. I am a little hesitant since elemental Designs went under and sounds like Epik has there own problems. Any opinions on buying a new product from a new company??

TIA
Dave

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Judging from the measurements, the PSA does have an advantage over the LFM-1 EX, from 30 hz to 60 hz, but at its greatest at 40 to 50 hz. You can compare their measurements here and here. On the LFM, you can beef up the mid 20 to 40 hz output at the expense of sub 20 hz output with their variable tuning. At $750 you should take a look at the Hsu VTF3, it is basically a more refined version LFM-1 EX, it will handle deep bass better and has more configuration options, but, like the LFM, it isn't likely to match the XV15's output at 40 to 50 hz.

D

dk10438

Enthusiast
thanks
what's your opinion on build quality between PSA, HSU and Outlaw and price/performance?

my last Hsu, Tn1220 had a DIY type of feel to it. Judging by the pictures, the outlaw LFM and Hsu VTF 2 look fairly similar. OTOH, the PSA looks to be quite beefy. Maybe it's just me but "made in China" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The XV15 looks like it has a slightly higher cabinet build quality with 1" mdf as opposed to the LFM's and VTF3's 3/4" mdf. As far as made in China vs USA, that doesn't mean anything for quality control, what does make a difference there is how well each company inspects its products (I once worked in a US factory that had dreadful QC). Some factories in China can make things to a high conformity spec, others don't. Hsu and Outlaw uses bash amps which are pretty reliable, so they have a good source in China. These subs all have high build quality with respect to their price. The Hsu are Outlaw have a proven track record for reliability, and the Power Sound looks solid but only time will tell with a new product. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything from any of them regarding reliability and build quality. I've never had any problem with any of the five Hsu subs that I have owned or either of the Outlaws that I have owned. One of my VTF3s have been going strong since February of 07 with zero problems.

D

dk10438

Enthusiast
Thanks
Whats ur opinion about the pb12-nsd v.the other 3 subs?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I think you cannot go wrong with Hsu, SVS and Outlaw subs since they are all well designed and fairly priced. Based on what I read in the forums, in the rare instances where products were faulty, their customer service has come through in a stellar manner. I received great customer service from SVS when I called on them.

Not saying PSA is not good, just that I've found out about them relatively recently and there is not much forum talk on them either. Their products seem to be well designed and robust construction.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I think you cannot go wrong with Hsu, SVS and Outlaw subs since they are all well designed and fairly priced. Based on what I read in the forums, in the rare instances where products were faulty, their customer service has come through in a stellar manner. I received great customer service from SVS when I called on them.

Not saying PSA is not good, just that I've found out about them relatively recently and there is not much forum talk on them either. Their products seem to be well designed and robust construction.
PSA is a brand new company, but it's owners were some of the founders of SVS.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis