J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Got an email this morning from outlaw regarding the new prepro due to ship in December. Looks like it may be a pretty good alternative for the avr with preouts for $550. No Audyssey though.

Outlaw AudioModel 975

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought they squashed it due to a competitor's underhanded move in China which used teh same factory as Outlaw. :confused:

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I thought they squashed it due to a competitor's underhanded move in China which used teh same factory as Outlaw. :confused:
That was the other, more expensive unit they had planned

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
For me, this unit just makes all the wrong decisions.

Drop the Svid connectors, no one uses them (I'm sure someone will now chime up). Add audessy (or similar).

If it's for a video-heavy source, put in an upconverter, drop some of those 2-channel audio ins, and add more HDMI connectors.

If it's for an audio-heavy user: drop all the video connectors except the HDMI ones, add XLR outs (this is a pre after all). and give me a second Sub-out.

And why oh why, when every AVR and (many amps) have speaker A/B, do no preamps seem to have a second out set for even L/R that can be selected between?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I was under the impression that HDTVs do a better job of upconverting so having one in a prepro / avr is largely a marketing gimmick / waste?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I was under the impression that HDTVs do a better job of upconverting so having one in a prepro / avr is largely a marketing gimmick / waste?
There may be a terminology issue here (possibly on my end).

I'm referring to converting non-HDMI inputs to HDMI out, and non Component inputs (excepting HDMI thanks to insane laws) into Component out.

That way, you don't have to change the TV input to play on your Wii.

(or does it do this and I just need to read the manual?)

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
There may be a terminology issue here (possibly on my end).

I'm referring to converting non-HDMI inputs to HDMI out, and non Component inputs (excepting HDMI thanks to insane laws) into Component out.

That way, you don't have to change the TV input to play on your Wii.

(or does it do this and I just need to read the manual?)
I think i'm the one who had the terminology issues. I definitely agree having the ability to send an incoming composite or component source to an hdmi output is a big plus, and therefor a minus to not have in the prepro like you say.

I guess it's specifically upscaling, converting say 480p to 1080p that TV's do well and is pretty pointless in an AVR.

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
Cross conversion versus upconverting the video signal. If there are legacy video inputs on the back of any current generation component then they should cross convert that signal to HDMI. No video scaling or upconversion necessary in a pre-pro from my perspective as this does add significantly to the cost.

The 975 is a disappointment and a miss in many areas.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If it's for an audio-heavy user: drop all the video connectors except the HDMI ones, add XLR outs (this is a pre after all). and give me a second Sub-out.
Why do you say XLR outs are important on a preamp?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The lack of room correction is what kills this unit for me.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
For me, this unit just makes all the wrong decisions.

Drop the Svid connectors, no one uses them (I'm sure someone will now chime up). Add audessy (or similar).

If it's for a video-heavy source, put in an upconverter, drop some of those 2-channel audio ins, and add more HDMI connectors.

And why oh why, when every AVR and (many amps) have speaker A/B, do no preamps seem to have a second out set for even L/R that can be selected between?
I agree. Outlaw made some rather curious decisions. Even though I ordered a 975 because it happens to do what I specifically wanted it to do, I think the specs *should* be:

- 6 HDMI inputs
- 5 analog audio inputs, at least two with XLR
- 6 digital inputs: 2 coax, 2 optical, 2 XLR
- 2 HDMI outputs with ARC
- 1 set of 7.1 pre-amps outputs, in both RCA and XLR
- 2 sub outputs in both RCA and XLR

Lose all of the legacy video connections. People with legacy video don't buy new pre-pros. I'm not a fan of room correction either in this price range. The problem is that if the design is fully balanced I doubt the price will be $550. Probably more like $995 for all of this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis