Outlaw 975 or Emotiva MC-700 to replace Anthem MRX 710

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
Short Version: All features, room correction, and video processing aside, pure HT audio quality only, Outlaw 975 or Emo MC-700?

Long Version:
I have been running an Anthem MRX 710 for a year now and recently acquired an Outlaw 7700 at a great price. The money for the 7700 came from the fund that was to pay for the SVS Ultra Bookshelves (pls don't turn this into a speaker thread) which I've cancelled for now.

The MRX 710 is a lot of receiver to use for only the pre/pro sections and my speakers are in desperate need of an upgrade; so I feel it would be best to unlock some of the potential funds locked up in the MRX 710 to go towards speakers even if that means a slight loss in processing quality.

I intend to eventually get a miniDSP DDRC-88A, so the loss of ARC and lack of auto-EQ on the Outlaw don't play in to the equation so much.

I am open to suggestions outside of the two pre/pros mentioned, but keep in mind the idea here is to sell the MRX 710 and buy something around the $500 mark.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers.

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
I just realized the full, manual PEQ feature on the Emo. That may have sealed the deal.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MC700 does not have multichannel analog input if that matters. Other than that, I am pretty happy with it so far.

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
That was an item of note. The only situation I could see it being useful though is if I was going to run a high quality source like an Oppo player but I am quite a few upgrades away from even considering something like that.

Do you have any recent experience with your setup running something else to compare it to?

I will probably contact Emo today to see what kind of return/in home trial period they offer to Canucks. If it is decent, I will likely just order it and give it a try.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've not run any others recently. I had the Emo UMC-200 before it, which I was more or less happy with too. It had bugs at first, but they fixed them with firmware updates. I had a Marantz 8300 before that, which I was also happy with, but the calibration definitely helps. I feel the current version of Emo-Q, their calibration software, does a pretty good job. Seems to have done better than the UMC did.

I have an Oppo 105, so it sort of hurts me, but it does have stereo analog. Multichannel music still sounds good on the MC700, just not quite as good as the Oppo and it was like having a unique set of calibrations by using the m/c analogs since it was on the Oppo side without having to change anything on the UMC. Oh well. I can just make similar manual adjustments on the MC, I just have to remember to switch between them. UMC and the MC700 allow you to have 3 sets of calibrations (actual calibrated which you can modify and 2 manual) and they have a "flat" setting with no EQ, so you can make different settings and switch between them.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How much do you expect to make from selling the Anthem? I've seen used prices ranging from $500-$750.

Is it worth the trouble of selling it and buying something else for $500?

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
How much do you expect to make from selling the Anthem? I've seen used prices ranging from $500-$750.

Is it worth the trouble of selling it and buying something else for $500?
If you send the links to these $500-$750 MRX 710s I will buy them all. There are about 2 units for sale on CanuckAudioMart.com for $1500 and $1600 CAD and one on the US Audio Mart site for $900 USD.

The MC-700 would cost me about $1000CAD after shipping, duty, and taxes; so I could net around $500 in my pocket.

If I was in the US I would just order the MC-700 and try it but if I order it from Canada and send it back I lose out on about $250 as I wouldn't get the shipping/duty back.

Another option I am now considering is an Anthem AVM 50 posted for $950 right now. Benefit to this route would be getting balanced outputs.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I have to go the other way. I have a 310 after coming from an EMO processor and I wouldn't give it up for the MC-700.

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
I have to go the other way. I have a 310 after coming from an EMO processor and I wouldn't give it up for the MC-700.
I assume that your are using the 310 as a pre/pro with an amp. If I could go back, I would have bought the 510 instead as I should have known that I would eventually pick up a separate amp.

On a slightly related topic:

I disconnected the Outlaw a few days ago as it turns out that I have some pretty bad DC voltage on my AC mains causing a lot of mechanical hum that could eventually damage the amp and what a night and day difference. I don't push my gear very hard as I live in a condo but even at reasonable listening levels, the Outlaw adds dynamics and a soundstage that the Anthem on its own cannot even begin to compete with.

This is completely understandable given the fact that the Outlaw is a monster but now that I have entered into the world of separates, there is no going back. Whether I end up with the Emo MC-700, stick with my 710, or pick up the XMC-1 that I am in negotiations for, I know I made the right choice with the Outlaw 7700.

As a side note, I have an Emotiva CMX-2 arriving in 2 days which will hopefully solve the DC voltage situation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis