Outlaw 770 Seven- Channel Amplifier

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
About a month ago I purchased an Outlaw Audio Model 770 seven channel amp.

I will post my thoughts on this amp starting with the pros and cons and then the summary.

Pros:
Excellent detailed sound at low or high volume levels!
Excellent wide open soundstage
Very low noise floor see the specifications!
Very solid build quality, it weighs in at over 90 lbs.
It employs quality parts throughout:
Two huge Toroidal Transformers
22,600 uF of capacitance per channel (158,200 uF total)
10 output transistors per channel (70 total)
Individual winding from transformers for each channel
Very high damping factor
Power to spare
five year warranty
excellent customer service from Outlaw Audio

Cons:
Very heavy 90 plus pounds
Runs hot- adequate ventilation a must
Huge takes up a good amount of space
A very slight 60 Hz hum -noticable only when not playing a source (eliminated slight hum by shortening pre-amp output leads to amp)
Requires good solid AC wiring in your household- subceptable to ground loops
The cover is used in the support of the chasis- the frame is solid but could be better supported
Recommend you have a friend to install it with you to avoid back injury etc.
Requires a short 10 to 15 minute warm up period to obtain best sound output

Specifications:

Inputs: 7 single-ended (RCA)
Outputs: 7 pairs binding posts
Power output: 200Wpc RMS, 20Hz–20kHz,
<0.05% THD, all channels driven into 8ohms;
300Wpc RMS into 4ohms
Signal/noise: 119dB
Power bandwidth: 5Hz–100kHz, +0/–3dB
Power requirements: 115V, 50–60Hz
Power consumption: 1800W maximum
Dimensions: 17.2" x 7.75" x 18" (WxHxD)
Weight: 90 lbs

In summary:
At the $1799.00 asking price it's very difficult to beat!
I'm pretty certain that this amp would cost at least $3.000 in a brick and mortar store.
I would give this amp a 4.5/5 star rating without hesitation.
This amp is sweet and will definitely run with the big boys! :)

Attachments

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Looks like a great amp thanks for sharing the info!

Don't get too caught up on "all channels driven" as its mostly a marketing ploy and only repeatable under very unrealistic conditions.

Take for example this amp which claims max power consumption of 1800 watts. This amp can utilize a full 15A line 120V line, but no more as it is has to be limited via a fuse to get UL approval and only uses 1 power cord.

If this is a traditional class a/b then the typical efficiency you can expect is around 30-40% max meaning the total available power would be 720 watts (40% eff). 720/7 = 102 wpc.

However, if this amp swiches to Class G, efficiency may be higher to get you a better rating but again this type of test is mostly academic and not real world.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
gene said:
Looks like a great amp thanks for sharing the info!

Don't get too caught up on "all channels driven" as its mostly a marketing ploy and only repeatable under very unrealistic conditions.

Take for example this amp which claims max power consumption of 1800 watts. This amp can utilize a full 15A line 120V line, but no more as it is has to be limited via a fuse to get UL approval and only uses 1 power cord.

If this is a traditional class a/b then the typical efficiency you can expect is around 30-40% max meaning the total available power would be 720 watts (40% eff). 720/7 = 102 wpc.

However, if this amp swiches to Class G, efficiency may be higher to get you a better rating but again this type of test is mostly academic and not real world.
Thanks Gene.
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it won't output 200 W to all channels simultaneously.
I'm kind of surprised at Outlaws claims, they must have marketing advisors, also! :D
But as you have stated so many times, this will probably never be required from a source.
It should meet most peoples power needs as it has large capacitance resovoirs.
Again, thanks for all the help you and the other audioholics have given me towards better audio video products.
You are appreciated!
Kelly

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No problem Kelly. That looks like a phenominal amp and value and should serve you very well. One of these days I will check out some of their products.

The power game is old and thriving, but we plan on demistifying it like we did with cables. Stay tuned...

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Im glad to see a good review of this amp cause I was looking to get one soon. The only real downside I see is no XLR inputs but at the price its not compleatly suprising or disapointing. I should aslo mention that I E-Mailed them asking why they dont have XLR inputs but there pre amp has XLR outs. When I get a reply Ill be sure to post it here.

Sean

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Sean, I really like my Model 770.
I congradulate you, it's a pretty darn good amp.

Kelly :)

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Where do they manage to stuff all the caps? I've looked at the 755 on their site & have always wondered because, from the pictures of the unit, it doesn't look like there's any room.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

gene said:

Isn't that why amps stiffen their power supplies with banks of caps? I'm not that technically inclined when it comes to amps, but that's what I'd always assumed...

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
zipper said:
Where do they manage to stuff all the caps? I've looked at the 755 on their site & have always wondered because, from the pictures of the unit, it doesn't look like there's any room.
The capacitor pairs @ 22,600 uF per pair are located at the back side on each channel. Please forgive my crude attempt at graphics in the attachment?

Kelly :eek:

Attachments

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Thanks Surveyor..............I've wondered about that for a while.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Well guys I got a reply from outlaw today about the lack of XLR inputs on the 770 Amp and here it is.

Hello Sean,

The Model 770 is a few years old, and the Model 990 started shipping this
month. While we will eventually add balanced amplifiers to our product
mix, I do not have a time frame for these additions.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Scott

Its good to see that its something there working on and that they got back to be in 1 day. I may wait till they have the XLRs though but other than that it seems like a great amp and a great company.

Sean

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
surveyor said:
The capacitor pairs @ 22,600 uF per pair are located at the back side on each channel. Please forgive my crude attempt at graphics in the attachment?

Kelly :eek:
Correction to above:
4 ea. 5,600 uF Capacitors @ 80V (85deg celcius) plus 2ea. 100 uF 100V capacitors per channel. Totaling 22,600 uF per channel.
:)

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Wow, just the sheer size of the amp is impressive. I want it just to put on my audio rack to see the look on peoples faces. Congrats on owning a fine piece of equipment.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Spiffyfast said:
Wow, just the sheer size of the amp is impressive. I want it just to put on my audio rack to see the look on peoples faces. Congrats on owning a fine piece of equipment.
Thanks, I really enjoy the amp.
:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis