Outdoor speakers opened Pandora's box...

T

tfulmino

Audiophyte
Hello. This is my first post on the forum...

We recently purchased outdoor speakers on a whim and I realized after mounting them and running the speaker wire through the attic, the receiver "supports" zone 2, but needs an amplifier... sweet.

About 6 years ago I purchased a Rotel RSX-1056 to use as my main stereo / av receiver. The component has worked great and we have never had any issues with it. The dilemma I have been facing over the last week has been choosing the best solution to my current problem.

This forum has plenty of individuals who I am sure have been faced with/solved this type of dilemma.

Current system: Rotel RSX 1056; B&W 602 S3, B&W LCR60, B&W LM1

Options:
- Keep the current Rotel RSX 1056 and purchase a "simple" amp to power Zone 2
- Purchase a new AV Reciever with current technology
- Purchase separates to prevent having to discard a perfectly good receiver in the future

Open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Todd

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is typical on A/V receivers to NOT power zone 2. This is still the case. Some receivers offer 7 channels of amplification and if you only use 5 channels then you can assign the extra 2 to zone 2. But, cheaper stuff doesn't typically power zone 2.

Zone 3 (if it exists) is almost never powered.

If you are happy with your current A/V receiver, then pick up another amp. I strongly recommend you to do this no matter what. Powering more speakers off your primary A/V receiver can shorten the life of the receiver. Doesn't make sense to do that when you can pick up another amplifier for a fairly decent price.

Something like this is excellent:
Sonance Sonamp 260 | eBay

Make sure you have good airflow around any stand alone amplifier!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis