Out with the Old and In with the New. A New Approach to AV in the Home

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wow you got two of them great deals! I’ve started to buy vintage or used equipment on eBay and so far so good. The latest used buy is a pair of open-box in-wall speakers and I’m watching a couple of amps for a small 2 channel system for the master bath. My wife thinks I’m crazy but it takes all my time lol
For a master bath with shower I would be looking at outdoor rated speakers or speakers specifically designed to handle high humidity. I would be concerned about what the high humidity levels might do to a regular speaker.

P

prerich

Audioholic Intern
Wireless is may be. What we really need is an upgrade on the versatility of TVs, so that they have a sub out and can be connected to active speakers with preouts or via HDMI. Alternatively a small unobtrusive device that can be connected to the TV by HDMI and then used as an interface to active speakers. This technology actually exists, as it would be a sound bar less speakers. These generally connect to the TV eARC connector.

We should learn the lesson of the extreme popularity of sound bars. If you go to a Target or Walmart, these units are stacked wall high.

So they are a route to simpler cheaper good audio. I have a feeling people don't have a clue about auto Eq, and if they do buy a receiver I would be far more likely than not it is set up incorrectly.

Guys, things are off the rails big time, and the sales show it. Return to vinyl record players connected to powered or active speakers is another wake up call. They are stating to fly off the shelves I understand.

Talk of rabbit holes, we have been flying down the blind alleys.

I am convinced there is a route back to a reasonable and enjoyable audio in the home at reasonably affordable prices using simpler, and above all, more reliable technology.

I'm now waiting for Lovin to jump in about what he calls my rant against receivers.

I am unrepentant. In my view the AV receiver and all its power amps, has been about the dumbest product of my life time in this whole audio and visual arena. It was just always a very bad idea and destined to be doomed.
There's one huge issue with active speakers...the failure of the amp necessitates the purchase of an entire speaker (some of which are only sold in pairs). The failure of amps in towers with active subs has shown us that in the past. I get the desire for more lifestyle friendly products, but for that to happen, dependability must be proven, or will the average consumer ante-up for a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c's or are we just going to go with Apple home pods and call it a day?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There's one huge issue with active speakers...the failure of the amp necessitates the purchase of an entire speaker (some of which are only sold in pairs). The failure of amps in towers with active subs has shown us that in the past. I get the desire for more lifestyle friendly products, but for that to happen, dependability must be proven, or will the average consumer ante-up for a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c's or are we just going to go with Apple home pods and call it a day?
Replacement amps not entire products would be the model. Take someone like Genelec and their model and it shouldn't be an issue.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
For a master bath with shower I would be looking at outdoor rated speakers or speakers specifically designed to handle high humidity. I would be concerned about what the high humidity levels might do to a regular speaker.
Thanks for the reminder I checked with the manufacturer before purchasing to make sure they were okay for a bathroom environment. They aren’t waterproof but can handle steam. Have similar speakers in my hot tub room and they’ve worked for years without any issues.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis