Out of my element... Any help on the steps i should take would be appreciated

B

Bryan Grimsley

Enthusiast
I want to start with a 5.1 or 5.2 home theater. This will be a piece by piece build.
I just picked up a pair of Pioneer SP‑FS52
with what reviews I found I thought I could not pass these up for under $220 for the pair. I have not purchased a receiver yet any help here on recommendations ? Then I plan on adding center channel or sub.

Can't purchase everything at once, just need the best advise in what to consider purchasing and in what order of importance should I add more once I have a receiver.

Thanks in advance for any help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You need to establish a budget for each item, hard to spend your money if we don't know how much we have to work with. For an avr I'd suggest you look around at accessories4less.com.

I would go with a sub then center myself, altho I wouldn't like to be without either, but I'm a bassoholic, so the sub would be my first choice as I could live with a phantom center for a while if need be; you'll have to make up your mind as to which you'd value more.

If you haven't seen the AH review of these speakers (and their brethren) http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

How big a room is this going in?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

B

Bryan Grimsley

Enthusiast
I would say on a per item price I would not want to go over $400 for a receiver and would really like to be in that $150 to $350 ballpark for a sub and center channel.

I'm looking at a room size of 15x20

So I'm really not even sure if the Pioneer SP‑FS52 will do the job.

And Thank You

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would say on a per item price I would not want to go over $400 for a receiver and would really like to be in that $150 to $350 ballpark for a sub and center channel.

I'm looking at a room size of 15x20

So I'm really not even sure if the Pioneer SP‑FS52 will do the job.

And Thank You
$400 avr should be doable, probably a bit less. Do you have a 4K/HDR tv or plans to get one? Used avrs may also be a consideration to save money so you can spend where it counts--on the speakers/sub.

For the center channel I'd go with the Pioneer center from the same series, the C22 goes for $100 so that leaves $250ish for a sub, maybe $350 if you can get a $300 avr (which would be about as low as I'd go). I'd save up for a better sub than $250-350 buys personally but need to know how much the low end matters to you. Maybe something like a BIC or Dayton sub would fit the budget if you can't grow it a bit, or is that $150 to $350 range for them separately?

Is the room sealed off from others or open to others? Cubic volume matters to a sub; assuming you have 8ft ceilings that's 2400 cuft to start. Try this article http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

The job? What is the job you expect the speakers you bought to do exactly? I think they're pretty good for the price....

B

Bryan Grimsley

Enthusiast
Less than $400 each item .... And the plan is to upgrade the tv to 4k at some point.

And this space is not closed off and we have vaulted ceilings that go from 8ft at the lowest side to I'd say 18 to 20 feet on the highest end.

Thanks for all the links I'm trying to make sense of it. Foreign language most of it is to me. Lol

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
How much are you really into audio? What are your expectations? The reason I ask this is, craigslist and ebay is full of items from people who started out with these budgets in mind, only to upgrade a short time after once the instant gratification novelty wore off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Less than $400 each item .... And the plan is to upgrade the tv to 4k at some point.

And this space is not closed off and we have vaulted ceilings that go from 8ft at the lowest side to I'd say 18 to 20 feet on the highest end.

Thanks for all the links I'm trying to make sense of it. Foreign language most of it is to me. Lol
You have a huge space for subs it seems, still need to know your expectations in this regard. Also why you think the speakers you bought may not work.

It does take some reading and research to make good decisions. If you had started here for example for what you spent we might have sent you looking at these speakers to start http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Bryan, welcome to the Forum.

My take is you already stuck a fork in it, and should probably continue with that line of Pioneers for the 5.0 speakers. The are a good start for a entry level Home Theater system, but the Sub is to be avoided. By the way Audioholics rated these Pioneers the best HT speakers for less than a grand as I remember. Product of the year a couple years back!

The only knock I heard on the Pioneer SP‑FS52 was they were a little short, and needed small platforms to bring them up to ear level. Folks who put them on small boxes said that improve the experience a lot.

I have a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (from the same family of speakers) for my home office, and their great for that purpose. Best Buy & Amazon sold thousands of this line a few years back, so the used market should have lots of them, in decent shape, for a reasonable price. If you can be patient, you should be able to grab the SP-C22 and a pair of SP-BS22-LR for the rears. The real kicker will be buying a decent Sub (eventually 2?) but there are lots around; and again if you are patient the OEMs have specials and "B" stock clearances.

I'd start with a receiver. Right now at accessories4less.com, there is a Denon AVR-S920W for $290 and you can look around the Web for a coupon for a discount, free shipping, etc. I have it's older sibling => an AVR-S900W. I'm very happy with it and the AVR-S920W is even more capable. This unit will allow you to grow or migrate into an Atmos system later if you want to, but it will be the kick ass center for you 5.1 system in the meantime. I certainly wouldn't spend more as you need to save it for the Sub(s). And the Denon AVR-S920W will let you connect a second sub if you want to add another later as your financial situation improves.

Like lovinthehd, I too would head for the Sub next leaving the SP-BS22-LR for the rears until later (or if you stumble across a steal of a deal).

Just for grins I just searched and got a Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker in stock at Amazon for $99 and a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Pioneer Loudspeakers for $129 with free shipping. Best Buy has them in stock at the same price too. Maybe you won't have to wait??

IMHO the real homework will be to get you the right deal on a Sub. But the boys here certainly can assist you there.;)

B

Bryan Grimsley

Enthusiast
Good evening again guys.... thanks for all this feed back so far.

There was a question about my expectations..... I surely want a great bass experience ! but I also don't want a system I can't hear them speaking in any movies I watch either.

I looked into the SP-C22 and they seem to be a nice option but is that the best option between $100 to $300 bucks ?

B

Bryan Grimsley

Enthusiast
As far as a Sub..... I'm looking at a Bic F12 as my leader right now for what I'm willing to pay or Polks PSW505

Any feed back on these ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good evening again guys.... thanks for all this feed back so far.

There was a question about my expectations..... I surely want a great bass experience ! but I also don't want a system I can't hear them speaking in any movies I watch either.

I looked into the SP-C22 and they seem to be a nice option but is that the best option between $100 to $300 bucks ?
Your large space is going to limit what one smallish sub can do for a great bass experience. I'd plan on at least two 15"s myself, perhaps a pair of Dayton 1500s would be a consideration. Unless you're willing to DIY a pair, but still probably a bit above your budget, altho you'd get better performance. If I had to pick between the Polk and BIC I'd go with the BIC just due to user comments.

The Pioneer center may be smallish, but that is the limitation of that line from Pioneer. You can try a different brand center but you may find it doesn't make for a seamless front stage with your L/R speakers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Your large space is going to limit what one smallish sub can do for a great bass experience. I'd plan on at least two 15"s myself, perhaps a pair of Dayton 1500s would be a consideration. Unless you're willing to DIY a pair, but still probably a bit above your budget, altho you'd get better performance.

The Pioneer center may be smallish, but that is the limitation of that line from Pioneer. You can try a different brand center but you may find it doesn't make for a seamless front stage with your L/R speakers.
Lovingthehd is very polite, so please bear with me as I am much less polite but more clear and forward. Hope you can appreciate my honesty.
a) Your space is quite large and to expected even a hint of great bass at $300-400 sub is simply unrealistic. People often underestimate importance of sub. One category of folks will tell you that sub is not needed (or undesired) and they are right, but speakers which could replace it cost at least $2-3k (on very low end)
Others will think that tiny $300 sub could play well enough in their huge rooms (it won't)
Some AH regulars (like warpdrv) used 3 of $2.5k subs (each) in similar room size to get great bass.
Thou a Pair of Daytons sub1500 is decent place to start, you'd probably be better served with DIY sub(s) on your shoestring budget.
c) Pioneer FS52 towers and matching center is pretty much a no brainier and I won't recommend you messing with it, but for surrounds you could pick something even cheaper.
d) a 4k compatible AVR and $400 budget will limit you to only low-end very current models, which are lacking in both power and good features. I'd highly recommend your to go with a bit older 1080p avr, which has more power (your pioneer towers will thank you) and more usable features like higher tier room calibration system.
e) I don't think that neither BIC or Polk are great subs, especially not at your budget.

B

Bryan Grimsley

Enthusiast
BoredSysAdmin.... I appreciated your honesty.

I've also got this question when it comes to some of these AVR that say 90 watts per channel and I've noticed some are up to 140 watts etc in this price range I have stated .

Is getting a Sub that has a rating of 300watts or even higher and having a lower end AVR in those wattage ranges going to even do a good sub justice ????

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While wattage ratings in avrs are often an advertising game, you need to compare specs based on same measurement method to be meaningful. Look for bench tests in reviews with same methodology for example. Takes a doubling of power to gain merely 3dB spl, so difference between 90 and 140 would only be 2dB....look for higher sensitivity speakers to make most of an amp's power.

Sub wattage ratings are not meaningful unless you know the sensitivity of the system (and that is rarely offered), a 87dB sensitive sub system at 300 watts would, all other things equal, would have same output as one of 90dB sensitivity at 150 watts. You don't need to match the avr rating to the sub....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Bryan,

The mixing of LCR speakers is not easy as the Gents above have advised. The SP-C22 will fit in with the SP‑FS52 perfectly as that's what Andrew Jones engineered it to do. Going elsewhere would be more expensive (which you budget can't support) and very likely sound poorer.

I'm with the folks here that you need to go for the Dayton Audio SUB 1500:

Code:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634
At $200 with Free Shipping, that plus the SP-C22 will fit in your budget now. You can add a second Dayton Audio SUB 1500 if you decide you need a little more bass later => when you can afford it. (Probably after you add the rear speakers.)

B

Bryan Grimsley

Enthusiast
Alright gentlemen.... Have decided to go with the Pioneer C22 modified by http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html they have them available and shipped for only $145 dont think I can pass that up and I'm pulling the trigger.

Thanks again for that info Lovinthehd !!

I will also be going with the Dayton Audio 1500..(One for now)

So it just comes down to a good receiver .. I'm going to try and increase that budget to $600 so fire away with and input on what I should look at.

Thanks Guys !!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis