our current mcintosh rig

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
highfihoney said:
i have blown the protection fuses while i was running some pro amps,i had a crown k2 amp running them for a while & that amp would blow the protection fuses all the time but ive never blown a fuse with the mc 1201's,with most music i can push around 900 watts continuous through the 22's before a power gaurd light begins to flicker,with some music i can take the power up to around 1,100 watts but i get nervous so i try to keep the power to around 900 watts continuous so i wont blow a fuse.
Over 1 kW!! :eek: and to think that I used to get complaints about my old 300 watt B&W subwoofer! That must be bassy (floor-shaking) music?

A dazzlingly good system. Those amps look a bit like my dad's old 1960's Rodgers (or is it Rogers?) amplifier. I do think the retro look is great, but I'm more a fan of those lovely 70's chrome amps.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
That is one mean looking setup. Really love it.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
tbewick said:
Over 1 kW!! :eek: and to think that I used to get complaints about my old 300 watt B&W subwoofer! That must be bassy (floor-shaking) music?

A dazzlingly good system. Those amps look a bit like my dad's old 1960's Rodgers (or is it Rogers?) amplifier. I do think the retro look is great, but I'm more a fan of those lovely 70's chrome amps.
hi tbewic,thank you for the kind words,i think the 1200 watt monoblocks may be a bit overkill but the line array speakers im running are very inefficient & hard to drive,they are rated at 86db with a 250 watt max (which is stupidly low for these speakers),they are able to take close to 1,000 watts without distorting.

the system actually isnt real bass heavy,the line array is rated to go down to 20hz & i have the external crossover & amplifier for my sub set at 10hz to 20hz,i set all levels for all the speakers & sub by ear to eliminate any noticable overlap in the bass,the best way i can describe the way they sound is very dynamic & clean,you can feel the music but its not boomy & the highs are exactly to my tastes.

i think there is going to be a change in preamps pretty soon but other than that im perfectly happy with the whole system.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
hi sleestack & thank you,ive been havin a ball with this rig,my whole family loves using it too.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Oh my
That is alot of clean power in there , love the those speakers . Man you mustbe rich to have that system . I must say that is couple ( thousands ) steps up from Denon , Yammy and stuff like that .
Very nice
Congrates

J

jimski

Audiophyte
quite a system

That's quite a system, I wouldn't even know where to find equipment like that. I often kick myself when I think about letting my wife talk me into trashing a 50's vintage Scott system which consisted of Amp, Preamp and tuner. It wasn't very powerful, but it was pretty and I could still get tubes from radio shack. Thanks for the feedback on my current system. I guess I have to decide what I want and more importantly how much I want to spend. The room is not yet finished, but I did wire it to accomodate 6 speakers, 1 center speaker ands a sub.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Good heavens! :eek: By now you should be part owner of McIntosh. Has their ever been a more intimidating looking monoblock than the MC1201? Great rig!!! I'm speechless.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
thanks.

wire said:
Oh my
That is alot of clean power in there , love the those speakers . Man you mustbe rich to have that system . I must say that is couple ( thousands ) steps up from Denon , Yammy and stuff like that .
Very nice
Congrates
im not even close to being rich but i wish i was:)

yup,the power is super clean,i love the features in mcintosh amps like powergaurd,not much chance of damaging a speaker from distortion or clipping.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
wire said:
Oh my
Very nice
Congrates
D&M Holdings is the parent company of McIntosh, Denon, Marantz, Snell, Boston Acoustics, and a few other companies.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, and where did that Insignia CD player come from?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Seth=L said:
Oh, and where did that Insignia CD player come from?
HAHA you win the prize,when taking the pics it was a toss up between the cd player & a kenner close n play record player with henery winkler dressed up as "FONZIE" on the lid.

That was the cdp i used in the shed with a small cheap system but it has since fell victim to a hissy fit i through when the stupid thing kept acting up.

I had just about given up hope that anybody would ever notice that mess of a cdp:)

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Looking good man, that is a beautiful setup. I know you enjoy the heck out of that. It just makes me want to go into my basement and get to work on my own system. (I'm still pulling wires behind walls, yay!)

But right now I'm enjoying the most exquisite cup of Kenyan coffee beans in picked up in old city a couple of days ago. <-- Like drinking brown silk.

But I digress, great setup man!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
highfihoney said:
HAHA you win the prize,when taking the pics it was a toss up between the cd player & a kenner close n play record player with henery winkler dressed up as "FONZIE" on the lid.

That was the cdp i used in the shed with a small cheap system but it has since fell victim to a hissy fit i through when the stupid thing kept acting up.

I had just about given up hope that anybody would ever notice that mess of a cdp:)
Kenner, as in the toy company? You got to get some better sources.:D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Seth=L said:
Kenner, as in the toy company? You got to get some better sources.:D
I bought the "fonzie" record player at a garage sale for a couple bucks with the intention of putting it with a sweet pair of panasonic thruster speakers(chrome woofer dust caps) then posting it as my system over at audiogon but after i tried to post the system the moderators declined my post,they dont like anybody makin fun of all the vinyl gurus over there:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ha, that reminds me of my friend over at HTF, they almost banned him for spamming. The spam, making fun of Bose, HARDCORE I know. How dare anyone give the biggest marketing jargonaut of the speaker world a hard time.:rolleyes:

I read another one of you posts somewhere else about how you destroyed the innocent Insignia CD player.:D Do you have another disc spinner yet?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Seth=L said:
I read another one of you posts somewhere else about how you destroyed the innocent Insignia CD player.:D Do you have another disc spinner yet?
Hi seth,i only put that worthless player in the pic as a joke,damn did i hate that player:mad:

Right now we have 3 cd players in the house,2 tube players & 1 solid state,the solid state is a mcintosh mvp-851(whoda thunk i like mcintosh gear:D ) & the tube players are a shanling cdt-100 & a dynaco cdv pro hdcd.

Alot of my gear constantly changes,right now our main system is ripped apart & components are being switched in & out,since i last posted pics ive sold the c-39 in the pics to another member on this site & was going back & forth between several other mcintosh preamps i have,right now im playing around switching back & forth between a vintage c-20 & a reissue model c-22,both preamps are tube models,i'll probably be selling the reissue c-22 as im not that impressed with it,the c-22 is a good sounding pre but the 40 plus year old c-20 is a better sounding unit to me plus it looks nicer.

The mc-7270 has also been pulled out of the system & replaced with a larger mc-352 i picked up a few months back.

Im still waiting to find a pair of mcintosh xr290's close enough to me to pick up in person,if i do find them the current xrt 22's im running as mains will be moved back to rears but the xrt 290's are hard to find so it may take a while.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
The whole setup is just making me drooling all over my keyboard...

Nice, very nice setup:D :D

S

starcraftbw

Audioholic Intern
Seth=L said:
I wish I knew more about McIntosh stuff.
me too....... his set up is beautiful...... droolingggggggg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis