OSU -vs- LSU tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

chrisw1

Enthusiast
I don't think that's back-to-back repeats, but the first team to have won the national title twice since the inception of the BCS National Championship.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't think that's back-to-back repeats, but the first team to have won the national title twice since the inception of the BCS National Championship.
Unless you want to count USC's split national title in '03 and their BCS sanctioned one in '04 :).

I cannot remember a more boring bowl season than the one we just had. Supposedly the AD's are seriously considering establishing a football Final Four and a real plus-one scenario. 4 of the BCS conference presidents are for it, the 2 against it??? Big 10 and Pac 10. I say we just leave them out and let them f*** each other in the Rose Bowl every year so the rest of the country can play some football that matters.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I agree, the Rose Bowl this year was a farce they hand picked Illinois!! When IMO Georgia would of given USC, all they could handle;).

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Unless you want to count USC's split national title in '03 and their BCS sanctioned one in '04 :).
Finishing first in the AP poll does *not* make you the BCS Champion.

USC has been the BCS Champion once. LSU is the first to be the BCS Champion twice.

I would have really liked to see LSU, OSU, Georgia, and USC in a 2-game playoff though. Georgia vs USC would have been a good matchup too.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Finishing first in the AP poll does *not* make you the BCS Champion.
I know... but it's fun to rag on the BCS.... USC vs. LSU that year would have made for an awesome game.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I guess all that game proved is that LSU is better than Youngstown State. :D

Sorry Bfan and Bnut.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Omg

I guess all that game proved is that LSU is better than Youngstown State. :D

Sorry Bfan and Bnut.
spoken like a true PAC 10 fan:p. In retrospect if OSU had won the game they would of being all over us!;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
spoken like a true PAC 10 fan:p. In retrospect if OSU had won the game they would of being all over us!;)
Heh heh...no way that was gonna happen, Billy! We were safe. :D And now that I think about it, we were also rather kind. :)

C

CitronBull

Junior Audioholic
Usc

I agree, the Rose Bowl this year was a farce they hand picked Illinois!! When IMO Georgia would of given USC, all they could handle;).
USC fans like me were hoping to face Georgia as well. The BCS and NCAA have no credibility whatsoever.

Going back to OSU, IMO the Big 10 should be banned from BCS Bowl Games for the next 5 years. Tressel tried his motivational DVD crap and didn't work. I hate to kick a team when their down but after 2 uncompetitive championship games, they deserve it. They were supposed to have the number 1 defense in the nation. I hope I never hear that again as long as they're in that sissy conference. 1 loss or 0 loss by a Big 10 team is absolutely meaningless. They should be banned from BCS Bowl games for the next 5 years.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
USC fans like me were hoping to face Georgia as well. The BCS and NCAA have no credibility whatsoever.

Going back to OSU, IMO the Big 10 should be banned from BCS Bowl Games for the next 5 years. Tressel tried his motivational DVD crap and didn't work. I hate to kick a team when their down but after 2 uncompetitive championship games, they deserve it. They were supposed to have the number 1 defense in the nation. I hope I never hear that again as long as they're in that sissy conference. 1 loss or 0 loss by a Big 10 team is absolutely meaningless. They should be banned from BCS Bowl games for the next 5 years.
Bull, tell us how you really feel. LOL! :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

Its funny because B_N considerd either Missouri or W Virginia as overrated and they both romped in their bowl games:p!! I don't know how Lloyd Carr can't beat Tressel, but yet always finds a way to compete against the SEC. Something must be said of OSU 0-9 record against the SEC conference. Maybe a ban is in order:D.

AUtiger

AUtiger

Junior Audioholic
SEC Rules

Let's see Florida and Auburn barely lost to LSU and Kentucky and Arkansas beat LSU and Georgia was as good as LSU at the end of the season so does that mean that 6 teams from the SEC could beat Ohio State??????:D

I agree agree the "old" way provided better match ups and it SHOULD have been GA vs USC that would have been a game.:cool:

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
LSU beat 8 ranked teams and both losses were triple overtime losses.

Georgia can't say that. They lost to two unranked teams in regulation. One of those losses was a blowout. They only beat 4 ranked teams.

And USC sure as hell can't say it either after they got creamed at home to a 41-point underdog and only beat 4 ranked teams.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
OK, I'm back from hibernation. Sheesh, that was painful. Be glad you guys don't live here. LOL.

I'm tired of hearing the excuses of these local announcers saying we had 2 returning seniors versus 11 for LSU. By the time these athletes are seniors, if good enough, they're gone their junior year. The whole penalty thing in LSU's favor still wasn't enough to turn that game around IMO. Yeah, it might have given OSU a bit more momentum before the half, but they were outplayed. And that garbage about the Big 10 having to travel to all their bowl games - so what. The Patriots don't seem to care where they blow out other teams. This game was indoors. No excuses.

I think this is what the Big 10 needed rather than a win which would have quieted the critics. A Buckeye win would have done nothing for the conference to focus on more recruits from around the country. When I played high school ball, we never threw a long ball. It was run, screen pass, and run some more. Good 'ol power "I" or wing "T".

What's neat is that these southern and western teams can take coaches from Ohio and still play great ball. It's the players. Tressel grew up 40 miles from Les Miles in Cleveland. Several other great coaches/assistants came from Youngstown, Ohio. What that tells me is that these coaches adopted to southern/western football rather than stay in their power ball rut. Tressel spent all of his time as a head coach in Ohio. Maybe he needs to take a position in Florida for a few years, then come back and teach us something.

Great game LSU. Also congrats to USC, Michigan, Oregon, and Georgia for a great end to a lack luster season. All year I've been saying what a crapshoot schedule OSU's had. I about sh!t my pants when all the one loss teams blew it and OSU snuck into the Championship game. We didn't deserve to be there. Time for a playoff system.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well said, Todd! Tressel has to come under some scrutiny? Maybe his philosophy won't come into question but eventually beating Michigan won't account for a successful season either? Obviously it will be a long off season (for Buckeye fans) but with USC on the schedule for this year it won't be long before the juices start flowing;).

Cheers, Billy P:)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
OK, I'm back from hibernation. Sheesh, that was painful. Be glad you guys don't live here. LOL.

I'm tired of hearing the excuses of these local announcers saying we had 2 returning seniors versus 11 for LSU. By the time these athletes are seniors, if good enough, they're gone their junior year. The whole penalty thing in LSU's favor still wasn't enough to turn that game around IMO. Yeah, it might have given OSU a bit more momentum before the half, but they were outplayed. And that garbage about the Big 10 having to travel to all their bowl games - so what. The Patriots don't seem to care where they blow out other teams. This game was indoors. No excuses.

I think this is what the Big 10 needed rather than a win which would have quieted the critics. A Buckeye win would have done nothing for the conference to focus on more recruits from around the country. When I played high school ball, we never threw a long ball. It was run, screen pass, and run some more. Good 'ol power "I" or wing "T".

What's neat is that these southern and western teams can take coaches from Ohio and still play great ball. It's the players. Tressel grew up 40 miles from Les Miles in Cleveland. Several other great coaches/assistants came from Youngstown, Ohio. What that tells me is that these coaches adopted to southern/western football rather than stay in their power ball rut. Tressel spent all of his time as a head coach in Ohio. Maybe he needs to take a position in Florida for a few years, then come back and teach us something.

Great game LSU. Also congrats to USC, Michigan, Oregon, and Georgia for a great end to a lack luster season. All year I've been saying what a crapshoot schedule OSU's had. I about sh!t my pants when all the one loss teams blew it and OSU snuck into the Championship game. We didn't deserve to be there. Time for a playoff system.

The spread option is running the show now. LSU's offensive coordinator (at Oregon up until this year), Gary Crowton, brought the thing to Oregon a couple of years ago. It was fine-tuned by the new guy, Chip Kelly, as anyone could see (a genius). The power game is on its way out and the sooner OSU realizes it, the better.

Rodriguez will bring the spread option to Michigan, which will further terrorize OSU. The top recruit in the nation, a guy from PA named Terrelle Pryor is going to either MU or Oregon. I think we had him lined up out here until Michigan's entrenched qb said he was transferring because he wasn't suited to the option Rodriguez is installing. We'll see what happens with the guy...but what a nice replacement for Dennis Dixon he would be! As far as I can tell, this offense will dominate the top teams for a few years...until everyone gets tired of having injured qbs. :(

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I was definitely bummed by the way the BCS worked out this year.

[Disclaimer before I go further: I'm from Georgia so naturally I will have a Georgia and SEC bias.]

While I was happy to see LSU win and also have GA && USC in the top 4 of most polls I was very unhappy to see the matchups and what happenned with the BCS polling.

For example [IIRC] before the conference championship week GA was off. They were ranked #4. Both #1 and #2 lost that week and fell out of the top 5 in the BCS standings. However GA slipped down to 5th place???? This means that if there was a plus-1 system GA wouldn't have even been eligible??? I call shennanagans on that. NOTE: All but one of the teams that passed GA in the polls [exception == LSU] ended up losing badly in their bowl games.

I'm sorry but failing to win your conference does NOT mean that you should be automatically disqualified from participating in a national championship scenario.

At the end of the year the two teams playing the best ball were USC && GA. Both had some bad losses earlier in the year but both also turned it up the last half of the season and were playing great ball. Their reward: USC vs. Illinois [I.E. scrimmage] && GA vs. Hawaii [ GA vs. the little sisters of the poor].

I would think a more entertaining set of matchups would have been:

1. LSU vs. Ohio State
2. USC vs. GA
3. Oklahoma vs. Va Tech
4. West Virginia vs. Hawaii
5. Missouri vs.Florida
6. Kansas vs. Boston College

Summary: After the fact most polls have got most of the top 4 right. It's a real shame that we couldn't see half of the top 4 in more meaningful bowls.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The bowl games shouldn't be about who was hottest at the end of the year. If that were the case, a team could lose their first 6 games, then beat USC, LSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, and OSU to finish the season and make it to the NC game with a 5-4 record. That ain't right. IMO the voting should (and, I believe, does) reflect which teams have had the best seasons, not which teams are the best at this very moment in time.

They take the top two teams who have had the best seasons and pit them against each other in a winner-take-all championship. I like it that way.

I do agree that a USC v GA game would have been quite awesome though. I do like your matchups... but they don't really get to choose "matchups."

B

Buckeye_Nut

My take on the game:

The better team won, and once again....the Bucks got their tails handed to them. You can't expect to win a national title when your team turns the ball over 3 times. Not to mention....keeping the opposing teams offense on the field by racking up one 15yd personal foul after another(coupled with the turnovers)!!

LSU played turnover free when it mattered, virtually penalty free, capitalized by scoring off buckeye turnovers, and made the big plays when they needed them in the 2nd half to stick a fork in OSU's chances for a comeback.....and they no doubt deserve to be champs.

Hats off to LSU!!

After a few days of disappointment and reflection, I am very proud of my Buckeyes for their performance in 2008. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for a YOUNG buckeye team that was predicted to finish 3rd place in their conference and play in the Outback bowl. Making a return trip to the Natty Title game exceeded all of my pre-season expectations, so for that.....I thank them for another fine season. With so much talent returning, they should be poised to make another run in 2008:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis