KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If I get a Smart TV like a TCL Roku TV and stream through it, how do I get OSD (like for volume level) while watching content sourced from the TV.

My conceptual model is that the HDMI cable is delivering the audio from the TV to the AVR, but I don't follow how OSD info would get back to the TV. Is HDMI ARC that sophisticated?

I'm sure this is simple, but I'm missing something? ... or do you sacrifice OSD when playing from a smart TV?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If I get a Smart TV like a TCL Roku TV and stream through it, how do I get OSD (like for volume level) while watching content sourced from the TV.

My conceptual model is that the HDMI cable is delivering the audio from the TV to the AVR, but I don't follow how OSD info would get back to the TV. Is HDMI ARC that sophisticated?

I'm sure this is simple, but I'm missing something? ... or do you sacrifice OSD when playing from a smart TV?
HDMI control, aka CEC is the feature that runs over HDMI ARC or any HDMI port, to control volume on the AVR thru the TV remote or the Blu-ray menu and play functions thru the TV remote or AVR remote. You might need to verify with TV models on AVS Forum with your receiver model. I am not familiar with TCL but you may need to google it.

I don’t recall what version of HDMI first had CEC but most 2015 or newer gear should possibly have it. Samsung calls it, Anynet+. Sony calls it, Bravia Sync.

The catch is, the HDMI CEC can also automatically power on other devices and that can be annoying to some. For me I had to get used to it with my Yamaha AVR. So I need to expect that powering off my tv, also powers off my AVR to standby. I also need to be aware that powering off my AVR, doesn’t power off my TV though and that will give the tv sound thru it’s builtin speakers but the TV can still control the Blu-ray and Apple TV. Also, as soon as I power on my Blu-ray, everything immediately switches to Blu-ray. Also if I power on the Apple TV, everything switches to that source. This is ok once you are used to it. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't believe you get a OSD with volume control if you are using ARC and a local source into the TV.

That is, of course, what getting an external Roku gives you. Which defeats my other comment that the TCL Roku TVs are dandy units. I might still get one, but with an A/V receiver, I would likely STILL get a Roku to connect to the A/V receiver to maintain my OSD.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not sure what you guys mean by OSD. The volume that normally controls the tv, controls the AVR and pops up with a logo showing AVR volume going up or down.

The AVR OSD for setup of the AVR goes across the HDMI ARC cable.

Are either of these what was being referred to?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I’m not sure what you guys mean by OSD. The volume that normally controls the tv, controls the AVR and pops up with a logo showing AVR volume going up or down.

The AVR OSD for setup of the AVR goes across the HDMI ARC cable.

Are either of these what was being referred to?
On Screen Display - so if I make setup changes or want to verify my setting they will pop up on the screen instead of having to read the LCD display on the AVR from across the room.
Not what I will use, but this is one significant drawback to the Marantz port design on the SR50XX or SR60XX (the SR70XX has a full-size lcd display under the cover).

I am genuinely surprised that this has not been addressed by the industry! I guess that shows how much in minority we who would use an AVR instead of a sound bar are! Figure they would have started selling a low-profile Information display to set on top of the center speaker to light up when you make adjustments or enter setup.
I have an old 15" monitor with an HDMI input I will see if I can integrate into my system without looking too hokey!

@snakeeyes , are you saying that the volume level (for example) does show on the TV if you change it at teh AVR when the TV is the source feeding the AVR?

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
On Screen Display - so if I make setup changes or want to verify my setting they will pop up on the screen instead of having to read the LCD display on the AVR.
Not what I will use, but this is one significant drawback to the Marantz port design on the SR50XX or SR60XX (the SR70XX has a full-size lcd display under the cover).
I figure that the TV program signal on your HT doesn't pass through your receiver and then to the TV display.

I have a SR5010 and I always have access to set up settings on the TV even when watching a TV program, or playing a Blu-ray or a CD.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I figure that the TV program signal on your HT doesn't pass through your receiver and then to the TV display.

I have a SR5010 and I always have access to set up settings on the TV even when watching a TV program, or playing a Blu-ray or a CD.
Just to be certain we are talking about the same thing.
If you are watching over the air TV which is coming in though your TV and I assume you are running an HDMI output from the TV to get audio to your AVR. Are you saying you still get OSD?
If so, that is great!
(verify that HDMI is the conduit for this!)

I have setup a Roku TLC with an AVR but the AVR predates ARC, so I am hoping that ARC does allow the OSD info to be included on the TV even though the TV show being played is coming from somewhere other than the AVR.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just to be certain we are talking about the same thing.
If you are watching over the air TV which is coming in though your TV and I assume you are running an HDMI output from the TV to get audio to your AVR. Are you saying you still get OSD?
If so, that is great!
(verify that HDMI is the conduit for this!)

I have setup a Roku TLC with an AVR but the AVR predates ARC, so I am hoping that ARC does allow the OSD info to be included on the TV even though the TV show being played is coming from somewhere other than the AVR.
Kurt,
No, I have a cable/sat box and a ROKU streamer connected both to separate HDMI inputs on the Marantz SR5010. Then, I have a HDMI cable connected between the simple Monitor output (not the Monitor ARC) from the SR5010 to one of the HDMI input on the Panasonic plasma set. Both the video and the audio go through the AVR and then the video via the HDMI route to the TV.
The SR5010 allows you to listen to the TV even when in standby (pass through).

Cheers,
André

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt,
No, I have a cable/sat box and a ROKU streamer connected both to separate HDMI inputs on the Marantz SR5010. Then, I have a HDMI cable connected between the simple Monitor output (not the Monitor ARC) from the SR5010 to one of the HDMI input on the Panasonic plasma set. Both the video and the audio go through the AVR and then the video via the HDMI route to the TV.
The SR5010 allows you to listen to the TV even when in standby (pass through).

Cheers,
André
Thanks!
Oh well!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't believe you get a OSD with volume control if you are using ARC and a local source into the TV.

That is, of course, what getting an external Roku gives you. Which defeats my other comment that the TCL Roku TVs are dandy units. I might still get one, but with an A/V receiver, I would likely STILL get a Roku to connect to the A/V receiver to maintain my OSD.
Yep, a (in this case) redundant Roku is probably the easiest solution!

For other smart TV's, I'd get a Roku just to avoid any corporate BS! (My Sony BDP wanted me to register through them before using the Smart feature).

But in the end, I expect I would want to upgrade my Roku before the TV died anyway!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
On Screen Display - so if I make setup changes or want to verify my setting they will pop up on the screen instead of having to read the LCD display on the AVR from across the room.

I am genuinely surprised that this has not been addressed by the industry! I guess that shows how much in minority we who would use an AVR instead of a sound bar are! Figure they would have started selling a low-profile Information display to set on top of the center speaker to light up when you make adjustments or enter setup.
I have an old 15" monitor with an HDMI input I will see if I can integrate into my system without looking too hokey!

@snakeeyes , are you saying that the volume level (for example) does show on the TV if you change it at teh AVR when the TV is the source feeding the AVR?
I can’t speak for Denon as I have Yamaha. Maybe ask @ryanosaur or @PENG

On Yamaha AVRs up through 2017, you press “display” and the Yamaha GUI goes to the TV display. (There are also nice Apple and Android apps for the controller functions). Yamaha changed the remotes in the 2018 models so not sure how the physical remote works or if you need the app

Also the 2016 Samsung and 2015 Toshiba TVs I own, show on tvs a similar pop up in lower right corner showing Receiver volume is being changed and the volume number. I only have 2 TVs that I have tried.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'll experiment with mine when I can. ;) I use the ARC HDMI port, but do not have TV ARC Control activated, rather have a toslink sending audio back to the AVR.
I know when I play a disc in my x700, I see the volume bar on-screen (x700 via HDMI to AVR, AVR to TV via HDMI).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'll experiment with mine when I can. ;) I use the ARC HDMI port, but do not have TV ARC Control activated, rather have a toslink sending audio back to the AVR.
I know when I play a disc in my x700, I see the volume bar on-screen (x700 via HDMI to AVR, AVR to TV via HDMI).
Just need CEC to activate bar tender to grab another beer.... :)

B

bubbrik

Audioholic Intern
I have a TCL Roku TV connected via HDMI to a Marantz NR1607. Under System/CEC settings on the TV - ARC, System Audio Control, and System standby are all turned on.

For example, when watching YouTube using the built-in app on the TV, the volume animation shows on the top right when changing volume using the remote that came with the TV or with the Marantz remote.

However if I want to change settings on the receiver, that does not show on the TV unless I change the input on the TV to Receiver. Volume seems to be the only one that shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have a TCL Roku TV connected via HDMI to a Marantz NR1607. Under System/CEC settings on the TV - ARC, System Audio Control, and System standby are all turned on.

For example, when watching YouTube using the built-in app on the TV, the volume animation shows on the top right when changing volume using the remote that came with the TV or with the Marantz remote.

However if I want to change settings on the receiver, that does not show on the TV unless I change the input on the TV to Receiver. Volume seems to be the only one that shows.

If you connected all your sources via your receiver, with only one HDMI cable connected from one monitor output of your AVR to the receiver input on your TV, you should be able to have access to the on screen display as I do.

B

bubbrik

Audioholic Intern
If you connected all your sources via your receiver, with only one HDMI cable connected from one monitor output of your AVR to the receiver input on your TV, you should be able to have access to the on screen display as I do.
That’s correct. When I use the receiver input of the TV, I can see the OSD of the Marantz menu. However the OSD is limited to volume control (volume slider of the TCL Roku TV) when using the smart TV functionality (e.g. the built-in YouTube app).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello Kurt, If you watch "TV video", you won't get the TV "OSD" whether you use ARC, optical or coax on your Denon or Marantz AVR. The two line LCD display is quite legible from 10-12 away so it is not a huge issue but it is annoying. I am not sure about other brands such as Yamaha, Onkyo and even Sony, but I bet it would be the same.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh that’s what he meant by OSD. I am not sure you can control tv smart functions with the receiver remote but I haven’t tried that. I’m able to control the smart functions on Sony Blu-ray players with my Yamaha remote or the TV remote. I have x800 and x700 Sony Blu-ray UHD players. I can also control the Apple TV the same way.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, interestingly enough, it may be possible to adjust volume of your A/V receiver through your TV. I just have NO idea how/what it looks like. It has been a feature of ARC for years now that your TV can adjust the volume of your A/V receiver through CEC control. In theory, this means that the volume level internal to your television is actually synced up with your A/V receiver. If it really worked right, then your A/V receiver may 'never' show it's own volume when CEC control was enabled and you would have the consistent interface of the TV's internal volume bar, however it is produced.

But, I'm guessing as with all CEC, this is hit-or-miss and all over the place from one TV to another and from one A/V receiver to another.

I'm getting this information from the infographic here...
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis