Optoma Older H27 Repair Advice - Replace?

D

Danmac156

Audiophyte
My optoma H27 720p projector which is 8 years old will not light up. I tried another bulb and still the same problem.
It powers on,makes a humming noise, then stops and restarts several more times. I think it is trying to ignite the lamp during this time. Then this process stops, the fan turns on and the red lamp error light turns on.

I want to use a projector for outdoor movies only so am budget minded. Is it worth repairing is the big question, as I hate to just thow it away. Does anyone have an opinion as to what the problem likely is and if so an idea on diagnosis and repair costs. I suspect this is a power supply / ballast problem but don't want to throw more money at this guessing what the problem is.

Any suggestions as to a repair facility?

Or just give up and buy a new Optoma of BenQ which both have projectors in the $600 to $700 range? If I was sure I could fix this one for under $200 I may be tempted.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, you really have the normal question of repair vs. replace in front of you. If you are electronically proficient, then take the projector off, measure the voltage at the power supply. See if you can get a replacement power supply and hook it up.

Most repairs run $400+ so there is no chance that I would send it in for repair. This isn't a car, and a tech sitting at it making $80/hr only makes sense if the part is cheap, and the repair is quick. Most of which is rarely the case with projectors.

So, if you don't think you can fix it yourself, it certainly may be time to look for an upgrade. It may be worth posting your issue, with full details, at AVS Forum. I'm not a huge fan of that site, but they get a lot of people through there who own projectors.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis