N

noel

Enthusiast
Which is better for digital connection optical or coaxial.My Home theather Amp has both possibility,if you set it to auto it will look first for the coaxial then optical.Does it mean that coaxial connection is better that optical.
Are thee any limitations between the two digital connections.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Funny you should ask...

This subject is pretty much covered in this recent thread in the cables and interconnects forum. http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4547

In my opinion, the last sentence from this excerpt pretty well sums it up.

“Today the TOSLINK optical interface has reached its sonic performance potential. What changed? There are three factors that draw the line separating mediocrity from excellence: purity of the optical conductor, clarity of the optical termination (lens), and flexibility without signal loss.

When each of these parameters is optimized, and the interconnect is used with quality components, the TOSLINK connection is audibly indistinguishable from coaxial S/PDIF.”

But, you might want to read the entire article to get the whole picture.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
If you've purchased decent equipment and cables in the last couple years, the 2 are there more as a matter of convenience - maybe your CD changer or DVD player only has one of the 2 available so your receiver gives you both options for several of its inputs. The information they carry is identical, and as the referenced article explains, neither is demonstrably inferior to the other in conveying that information.

N

noel

Enthusiast
Thanks a lot from the info..actually i also read a lot of comparison between the two and each says better than the other.I don't know if they are just selling their products.
Thanks again....:->

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis