optical digital audio cable

N

Nickstermon

Audiophyte
I have an Onkyo HT-S790 system and want to hook it directly to my Samsung 61” DLP 1080p TV. I have the DVD player hooked up & get surround sound. I also have Comcast cable. The audio coming directly from the TV is quite low. I’d like to get the same surround sound from the TV to Onkyo. Can I just hook an optical digital audio cable between both? If so, does it matter about the price of an optical digital audio cable? I can get a Belkin Av20000B03 PureAV Digital Optical Audio Cable - 3 Ft. for only $7.99. Some of these cables go as high as over $100. What cable do you recommend?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The optical port on your tv is an output, not an input, run the optical cable from your cable box directly to the onkyo unit. As far as cables go, they are all the same pretty much, don't spend any more than you have to. Check monoprice.com, firefold.com, meritline.com or even ebay for cables, you can get a brand new 1 meter toslink cable for under $2 shipped on ebay.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You would connect the cable box directly to the receiver with optical and leave it connected to the TV the way it already is. Then when you want surround for a movie, you turn on the receiver and mute the TV. If you don't mute the TV or turn it to 0 volume, you will most likely hear an echo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis