Oppo next to create a Blu-ray player!

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Tell me I'm not dreaming!

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/20/oppo-next-to-create-a-new-blu-ray-player/

Oh, I've been waiting for this!

"Oppo fans left on the HD format sidelines can rejoice, as word comes that the company will add a Blu-ray player to its well-received line of DVD upscalers. According to the VP of product development, the company is "very early" in their development cycle, and we should expect more details sometime this summer. While sooner would definitely be better than later, we can't argue with a timeline that leads us to expect nothing less than a fully featured BD Live compatible player from a company with a reputation for delivering more bang for the buck."

Hopefully, whatever we get from Oppo will play Blu-ray, DVD/CD, DivX, SACD and DVD-A. And have Profile 2.0. I'll buy it in a heartbeat!

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: I'll also add to my wishlist: 7.1 analog audio outputs, and internal decoding of all advanced audio codecs!

Last edited:
E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Hopefully, whatever we get from Oppo will play Blu-ray, DVD/CD, DivX, SACD and DVD-A. And have Profile 2.0. I'll buy it in a heartbeat!
Agreed. This is exactly what I need. Just have to sell the DV-980H and I'm good to go.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't been overly interested in any HD dvd player but if Oppo can do a good job that also plays all other formats and comes in under $300 I'd wait for it.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Well given the 2.0 spec needs ethernet, a hard disk and a few other major things I don't see this product coming in under $399.
But I am sure it will be a replacement for their top tier DVD player and hopefully will have the whole HD audio bitstream/PCM thing nailed down.

But if the PS3 gets that in check, I don't see the point of jumping ship.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Price remains to be seen. I only say under $300 because I don't like to pay a lot for a dvd player when it gets very little use in my system.

At $400 I'd still consider it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well given the 2.0 spec needs ethernet, a hard disk and a few other major things I don't see this product coming in under $399.
Not a hard disc - 1GB of persistent (Flash) memory.

Go into your local Best Buy and price out an Ethernet card and a 1GB thumb drive or Compact Flash card.

That's something like $20 - at full MSRP - for both items.

Don't think for a second that this player can't be done for under $300 if the drive component is starting to hit full production levels.

Z

Zetram

Audioholic Intern
EDIT: I'll also add to my wishlist: 7.1 analog audio outputs, and internal decoding of all advanced audio codecs!

I think I rather have my receiver do this and save an extra $50-$100 :p

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I think I rather have my receiver do this and save an extra $50-$100 :p
Not everyone has a fancy reciever like you! :p

I'd be happy to buy another Oppo, I don't like having a player around just for DVD-A and SACD! Mine has served me well however.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Not a hard disc - 1GB of persistent (Flash) memory.

Go into your local Best Buy and price out an Ethernet card and a 1GB thumb drive or Compact Flash card.

That's something like $20 - at full MSRP - for both items.

Don't think for a second that this player can't be done for under $300 if the drive component is starting to hit full production levels.
Well even with a Flash drive, their top level player is already $230.
I just see it being more than $300 but its all speculation.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Not everyone has a fancy reciever like you! :p

I'd be happy to buy another Oppo, I don't like having a player around just for DVD-A and SACD! Mine has served me well however.
Took the words out of my mouth, obsc! I don't want to have to upgrade my receiver unless it's absolutely necessary. Hey, this is a pricey hobby!

I'm happy about this news for the same reason you are: I don't want to have too much gear in the living room. I've only got two HDMI inputs on my HDTV, and my receiver has only one set of 7.1 analog inputs. I don't want to have to get an HDMI switcher and an analog audio switcher as well! Replacing my Oppo 981 with something that will take over all its functions and add Blu-ray is much preferable.

cheers,
supervij

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
I would buy another Oppo. $400 would be reasonable price for all that.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I hope when they do come out with a blu ray player, that they can be controlled with a universal remote. That was my only gripe about my old Oppo player, I had to use their remote since no codes were available for it.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
If it bitstreams to my Marantz and is 2.0 price would not be that critical to me. Something like the high-end Onkyo Hd-DVD in Blu-ray under 600 would get me real interested.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I hope when they do come out with a blu ray player, that they can be controlled with a universal remote. That was my only gripe about my old Oppo player, I had to use their remote since no codes were available for it.
You mean no pre-programmed 'setup codes' were available? Most manufacturers use standard protocols (typically NEC1/2) at standard frequencies (between 38 kHz and 100 kHz) and any learning remote can learn them.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I'd like to see the upconverting abilities of the DV-983H included in an Oppo Blu-ray player. I'd also like them to include DVD-A, SACD via DSD, be fully Profile 2.0 compliant, internally decode and bitstream all audio codecs, AND use high quality 7.1 analog outs. I wouldn't mind paying $499 for one.

Did I miss anything? :p

I think it'd be feasible if they launched it around Christmas 2008. Then again, what do I know? :eek:

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
The reason Oppo players were cheap, was because at the time of their first player (970?) DVD technology was pretty much fully mature. Blu-ray costs and technology isn't there yet.

To expect Oppo to deliver a quality blu-ray player that decodes True HD and DTS MA, along with SACD, DVD-A, CD, and 7.1 analog out for less that the equivalent competition is rather silly and wishful thinking. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see how they can do all that in 2008 at around $299 or so.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
The reason Oppo players were cheap, was because at the time of their first player (970?) DVD technology was pretty much fully mature. Blu-ray costs and technology isn't there yet.

To expect Oppo to deliver a quality blu-ray player that decodes True HD and DTS MA, along with SACD, DVD-A, CD, and 7.1 analog out for less that the equivalent competition is rather silly and wishful thinking. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see how they can do all that in 2008 at around $299 or so.
You are probably right. Their DVD players are still priced a little high given the competition. You can get a samsung 1080P (hate the name), Phillips 5982, or panasonic S97 for less than $75. Excellent players, half the price. Those will suit most people. I suspect Oppo's full featured players will come out at around $399 like everybody else. I hope I am wrong.

Pat

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You mean no pre-programmed 'setup codes' were available? Most manufacturers use standard protocols (typically NEC1/2) at standard frequencies (between 38 kHz and 100 kHz) and any learning remote can learn them.
I had to use their remote, but I'm sure my Yamaha RX-V1600/1800 learning remote would have been ok to use with it, but I never took the time to program it, I just used the Oppo remote.

S

spacedteddybear

Audioholic Intern
You are probably right. Their DVD players are still priced a little high given the competition. You can get a samsung 1080P (hate the name), Phillips 5982, or panasonic S97 for less than $75. Excellent players, half the price. Those will suit most people. I suspect Oppo's full featured players will come out at around $399 like everybody else. I hope I am wrong.

Pat
Well keep in mind that Oppo players can play all other disc formats out there like SACD and DVD-Audio sans hi-def formats. So for $180-$220, their players aren't that bad of a deal. Especially since they also come with an HDMI cable as well.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
What about if the PS3 gets the firmware updates to push DolbyHD bitstream or at least run DTSHD PCM?

Would people still want the Oppo or anything else?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis