Oppo DVD player questions..

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
he guys..looking for a few user opinions on the Oppo DVD players.

I currently have a Denon 2910 DVD player and more and more, I am finding certain discs I burn aren't playing on it. It's not the DVDs as I ordered Taiyo Yuden directly, I burn at slow speeds on my LG burner, use the best decrypting software, DVD Fab Dycrypter Platinum.

Every disc I burn, including AVIs, downloaded movies, MP3s burned to DVD, play on my Yamaha DVD 657 in my bedroom. Never had one that won't play,but it does not upconvert nor has HDMI, hence the reason it is in the bedroom with my Sony Trinitron tube TV.

As I think the Denon 2910 does a great job on playing what it can, my question is about Oppo compatibility with burned discs.

Those with an Oppo player, what are your experiences? Thanks. i am considering getting their top model to run side by side with my 2910. I read the picture quality is close to the Denon anyways. I need to know if it's worth it as I need something that will play everything you throw at it. For example, Mp3's burned to a DVD don't play on most DVD players. How about the Oppo? Does it play AVI's or do you have to convert them, hence losing more quality. DivX?

I am losing faith in my Denon. Like I said, great for it's limitations..it is in fact three year old technology.

Thanks!

P.S. Post # 666!!!

JC

Last edited:
R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:
Nobody has an Oppo DVD player around here???????
I've got one! :) However, I'm not big into all the formats you're looking for. I know the 981 will play just about anything out there.
I would recommend checking out avsforum.com (sorry....don't know how to post links! :rolleyes: ) They have a LOT more info on Oppos in general. Also check oppodigital.com, as the company website has a lot of good info as well.

N

newtoitall

Junior Audioholic
JC,
I have the OPPO 970 and it has played everything I threw in it including the formats you mentioned above, I bet it could play an LP if I could figure out how to get one in it:D.
Seriously, I haven't had a problem playing anything.

Frank

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Friend just bought an oppo 970. I burned him some DVD-R's. He says there suppossed to work, they didn't. I then burned him some cheap DVD+R's which he said shouldn't work. They worked.Go figure.
I have a Marantz DV7600 which playes everything.

Don_T

Don_T

Junior Audioholic
I have the 981 and so far it has played several Taiyo DVDs with no issues but would freeze up on a movie recorded on an old 1X DVD that came free with an old Mac I had.

Hope this info is useful to you.

N

newtoitall

Junior Audioholic
BMO,
I back up all my movies on either cheap sony DVD-Rs or Verbatim DVD+R DLs and have had no problems, Some players don't like some discs as with some burners.

Frank

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I've burned lots of DVDs on cheap Ridata and Staples brand DVD-R and DVD+R, both of which should work.

Haven't had anything not work in my Oppo yet.

I don't really burn anything that's in DivX format.. the quality just isn't high enough on the DivX rips to look good on the big screen. And no MP3 DVDs because I just play music on my system right from my iPod.

It is supposed to have no problem with DivX, Xvid, and MP3 though.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Thanks alot guys for all the responses. I may get an Oppo as for that price, you can't go wrong. I may end up selling my Denon 2910 if the picture is as good...however, my analog DAC's on the 2910 are really sweet and it beat every Yamaha player I tied so it may still be of some use for music.

Anybody have any comparisons to the Denon 2910 and Oppo DVD players? Any links anywhere? I don't care if you say anything bad about the Denon so feel free to tell me really what you think...I know it's 2-3 year old technology now. For what it does and its limitations, it's great...fantastic actually.

I guess ultimately i am asking if you would scrap the Denon for a new Oppo?

JC

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis