OPPO BDP93 or the Panasonic BDT310. Which one is for me?

R

Retired

Audiophyte
I am buying a Blu Ray Player to view Blu Rays on a Panasonic P65VT30 3D TV.
I will also stream netflix etc. The Blu Ray Player will be hardwired with ethernet high speed internet cable. Technology changes so fast. Is it worth spending $500 on the Oppo when the Panasonic BDT310 costs $225? Pls post or reply.Tx

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I own the BDP-93 but I don't use any streaming services. For me, owning SACDs and especially DVD-As was the compelling reason to get the Oppo. Actually my cheaper Sony BDP (forget model #) plays SACDs.

Oppo has a really good chipset for scaling and de-interlacing which is nice if you have a lot of DVDs. I'm not sure, however, if it's that far ahead of anyone else anymore. The good video processing has trickled down to the less expensive players in the last year or two.

If you don't care about relatively obscure audio disc playback, then I would look at which one handles the streaming better or more conveniently.

Jim

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will also stream netflix etc. The Blu Ray Player will be hardwired with ethernet high speed internet cable. Technology changes so fast. Is it worth spending $500 on the Oppo when the Panasonic BDT310 costs $225? Pls post or reply.Tx
If you don't care for SACD and DVD-A but would like the best PQ when streaming Netflix you may want to consider the PS3. For $299 you get an internal hard drive, better Netflix streaming picture quality than Oppo (IMO), and much more, including the ability to play games.

I love my PS3, and I bought the Oppo mainly for MCH HD audio playback.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Reliability?

I understand that Oppo has had some reliability problems reported elsewhere in these forums. That might be something to consider.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
If you don't care for SACD and DVD-A but would like the best PQ when streaming Netflix you may want to consider the PS3. For $299 you get an internal hard drive, better Netflix streaming picture quality than Oppo (IMO), and much more, including the ability to play games.

I love my PS3, and I bought the Oppo mainly for MCH HD audio playback.
Actually the PS3 dropped to $249 today. Thinking of picking one up, but I may wait for a holiday deal. Don't really need one, but would like one. I have Google TV, an XBOX 360 and a Roku, so I am not sure what I would be really gaining except a better blu ray player than I currently have.

To the OP, I would probably go with a PS3 in your case if that would interest you. I know you didn't ask about the PS3, but Peng makes some solid points.

P

PhiPsi32

Enthusiast
Can anyone with the Oppo 93 comment on the disc loading speed? I'm also considering the Oppo. Overall, the PS3 looks like the best value. The PS3 has consistently placed at the top of Blu-Ray disc. But if you don't need or want a game system, there are other choices.

The Panasonic 310 looks like it packs a bunch of features dual HDMI, multiple streaming services, and 2D to 3D upscaling. I don't have one, so I can't tell you how well the features work. If you have an opportunity to demo the player, try everything out.

Otherwise, I have received strong positive feedback on the Oppo 93 (along with the admonition that the Oppo 95 doesn't offer much more for the extra $$$). But likewise, I'd like to demo the unit or hear from someone who has used it.

The bottom line, if the player has the features you and want and looks good on your TV and stays within your budget, then you made a good choice.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Oppo 93 load speed is about the same as PS3 load speed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually the PS3 dropped to $249 today. Thinking of picking one up, but I may wait for a holiday deal. Don't really need one, but would like one. I have Google TV, an XBOX 360 and a Roku, so I am not sure what I would be really gaining except a better blu ray player than I currently have.
Other than bundle deals, I doubt the PS3 is going to be any cheaper than that come holidays IMO. They dropped the price because the Vita is coming out and ironically as a hand held device, it will cost the same price as the PS3.

Oppo 93 load speed is about the same as PS3 load speed.
My Panny BD65 actually loads faster than my PS3. My 83SE is about the same as the PS3.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Although it has already been said, I think it is the right advice and worth repeating. If you need SACD or DVD-Audio playback, then get the Oppo. Otherwise, I would get the Panasonic, as they make good units for playing BD and their upscaling of DVDs is quite respectable, and save the money for upgrading speakers, or getting a bigger/better TV, or buying or renting more movies and music.

R

Retired

Audiophyte
One reason to choose the BD310 over the Oppo

I have my Blu Ray tucked in a kitchen cabinet as my plasma is hanging from a wall in the family room. Blu Ray all have IR remotes so if you have a Panasonic TV, any Panasonic Blu Ray can be controlled via the TV remote and Viera Link. With the Oppo you have to get an IR extender, lay down a separate cable etc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have my Blu Ray tucked in a kitchen cabinet as my plasma is hanging from a wall in the family room. Blu Ray all have IR remotes so if you have a Panasonic TV, any Panasonic Blu Ray can be controlled via the TV remote and Viera Link. With the Oppo you have to get an IR extender, lay down a separate cable etc.
Not if you use an IR to RF extender.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Although it has already been said, I think it is the right advice and worth repeating. If you need SACD or DVD-Audio playback, then get the Oppo. Otherwise, I would get the Panasonic, as they make good units for playing BD and their upscaling of DVDs is quite respectable, and save the money for upgrading speakers, or getting a bigger/better TV, or buying or renting more movies and music.
But knowing the Panasonic 110/210 BD Players will work with NetFlix 3 - streaming in for Movies at 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus, my question is whether or not these players will also play .AVI files via uPnP DLNA Home Network.

Has ANYONE tried it w/ the Panasonic 110/210 players??:confused:

My LG BD-590 does play .AVI files via uPnP DLNA, but does not support 5.1 HD Audio from NetFlix Streaming.:(

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My LG BD-590 does play .AVI files via uPnP DLNA, but does not support 5.1 HD Audio from NetFlix Streaming.:(
I am not aware of any BDP that supports 5.1HD Netflix streaming and as far as I know Netflix (Canada anyway) does not offer any 5.1HD movies at the moment. They do have 5.1 DD+ movies. Even for 5.1 DD+ I was surprised to find out my Oppo 95 can't do it but my PS3 can.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am not aware of any BDP that supports 5.1HD Netflix streaming and as far as I know Netflix (Canada anyway) does not offer any 5.1HD movies at the moment. They do have 5.1 DD+ movies. Even for 5.1 DD+ I was surprised to find out my Oppo 95 can't do it but my PS3 can.
I have 2 of the Panasonic-110 players.

These players will in fact stream Netflix 1080p HD5.1 Audio (Dolby Digital Plus).

Bitstream DD+ 5.1 on the Denon.

I've been streaming some movies & TV shows on Netflix in HD5.1 (The Tudors for example).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 2 of the Panasonic-110 players.

These players will in fact stream Netflix 1080p HD5.1 Audio (Dolby Digital Plus).

Bitstream DD+ 5.1 on the Denon.

I've been streaming some movies & TV shows on Netflix in HD5.1 (The Tudors for example).
Okay if you consider DD+ HD, but I don't. I only consider it HD if it is "lossless". Or perhaps by HD5.1 you guys meant HD video and 5.1 audio. In that case we simply misunderstand each other.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay if you consider DD+ HD, but I don't. I only consider it HD if it is "lossless". Or perhaps by HD5.1 you guys meant HD video and 5.1 audio. In that case we simply misunderstand each other.
Yeah, I guess everyone has a different definition of what HD Audio is.

Can DD+ be bitstreamed via Optical or Coaxial Digital cable?

I think DD+, D TrueHD, DTS-HD HR, & DTS-HD MA,, & LPCM can only be bitstreamed via HDMI or ethernet cable.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic

Netflix HD video is hardly HD, either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, nothing beats 100% uncompressed 1080p video and DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, and LPCM audio.

Netflix claims 1080p, but you can tell they compressed the heck out of the video for streaming speed. So both the video and audio are nothing compared to a decent blu-ray movie.

I still prefer my blu-ray movies over any streaming, but Netflix streaming is better than nothing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis