Oppo BDP-93 reliability problems

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
Hi All,

I sent this e-mail to Oppo support, and wanted to know if any of you might be having the same problem with audio dropouts and freezing. :confused:

"Hello,

Since having my Oppo player in March of this year, I have had problems of video playback doing a split-second jitter during a movie followed by a complete loss of the audio track. The video will keep playing, but the audio track is absent. I have updated the firmware approximately three times since March and have still had problems with it. Back in March, my setup was Oppo BDP-93 via HDMI to my Marantz SR6003 via HDMI to my Sanyo TV. I have tried switching out the cheap HDMI cables with Blue Jeans Cables, and I have also since replaced my cheap Sanyo HD TV with a Panasonic HD TV (not because of this, just wanted to upgrade). Still no changes in the audio dropout problem I get.

It seems to happen most with DVDs, and then less frequently with Netflix streaming, and no problems whatsoever when playing a Blu-Ray. I understand that I can have the video going out directly to the TV via HDMI 1 on the Oppo and the audio going out via HDMI 2, but frankly I shouldn't have to do that. The whole point of routing everything through my Marantz is that I only have to switch inputs on the Marantz, not on both the Marantz and my TV anytime I want to switch between different devices. Either way, that is a workaround to the problem rather than fixing the problem. It could possibly be a problem with the Marantz, but I'm not sure.

What will fix the audio dropout problem is if I switch inputs on the Marantz from "DVD" (I have the Oppo connected to the DVD input on the Marantz) to some other input on the Marantz (like say TV), and then back to the Marantz's DVD input. Then the audio track is restored. The only reason why I suspect this is an Oppo player problem and not a Marantz receiver problem is because I have had the Oppo player freeze up on me numerous times. Any help would be appreciated."

I like the fact that this unit plays both Blu-Ray and SACD, but other than that my old, non-HDMI Pioneer DVD player was a lot better in terms of reliability and ease of use.

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
*Update*:

Oppo's timely response:

"If you connect the player to your television with HDMI 1 and connect to your receiver with HDMI 2, do you experience the same errors?

Have you upgraded the firmware on your Marantz receiver? We have seen several cases where the firmware on the receiver needed to be upgraded in order to resolve HDMI handshaking errors.

Try replacing the HDMI cable between the receiver and your television to ensure that this cable is not causing your handshaking errors."
Is it even possible to upgrade the firmware on a Marantz receiver? I've been on Marantz's website and the only "Downloads" are spec sheets and manuals- no firmware updates. The Marantz I have is a SR6003 (thanks to fellow forum member's recommendations).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Is it even possible to upgrade the firmware on a Marantz receiver? ...).
If not on their web site, give them a call, then you may also want to call Oppo is they know anything about those updates. You may need to send the receiver to a service station for an update:eek:

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Unfortunatley that reciever needs to be sent back to the manufacturer for firmware updates because it does not have the ability to be done via the internet. If you call Marantz they can tell you how to check the firmware and let you know if any updates are available.

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
Hmmm. Well I called one of the authorized service stations (the closest one is 8 miles away, so not too bad) and the guy on the phone said there were a few updates available to put on the receiver. When he asked if it was a refurbished Marantz or a new one, I said I honestly don't remember. I bought it from Accessories4Less and I'm not sure where the receipt is.

Point being, if it's still under warranty the update can be done for free, but if it's out of warranty the update will take hours to do he said, and probably won't be cheap. Now I need to find that receipt:eek:.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I alway's put the reciept back in the box and that way I alway's know what I did with it....Good luck in your hunt....:)

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
Well, it turns out I got a refurbished Marantz and it's out of warranty. I wonder if it's worth the money to send it back and get the firmware updated, just to see if that fixes what may or may not be a receiver problem.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

One thing to consider is the receiver is a refurb. Chances are the receiver was returned originally because of HDMI issues. Since the problem is intermittent it may not have acted up when it was checked out by the manufacturer. So it could be firmware or it could be a fault in the receiver itself. If cost to update/repair is too high you may have to reconsider using both HDMI outs on the Oppo.

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
Update: I replaced all of my cables with Blue Jeans cable (I had one cheapo HDMI cable in the signal chain) and the drop-outs are much less frequent, but they still happen. Being that my BDP has always been freezing up occasionally, I really think it's the Oppo acting up and not the Marantz. I don't know, I just get the impression that the Oppo is tempermental and buggy, at least from my experience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis