Oppo BDP-83 What price do you want to pay?

J

josko

Audioholic
I'd buy it today for $499, and even $599, but think they are making a mistake announcing the product and then leaving us 'dangling' on the release date. I'd like to wait for it to come out, but am having a hard time waiting. I simply need and want to buy a BD player. Soon.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
From the buzz I'm hearing I doubt the unit will be priced lower than 499$. If the PS/3 stays around 400$ though I figure the most I would pay would be in the low to mid 400s if the reviews are stellar.

I prefer a 300$ device but if this unit matches the buzz it may be worth the premium ....

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
What price do you want to pay? Lets give feedback of the price we belive is fair.

A. $599
B. $499
C. $399
D. name your price
If it were region free or easily "hackable", I would probably be willing to pay $599 for it. But since it isn't supposed to be, I would not even be willing to pay $399 for it. I already own the Oppo DV-983H DVD player, which is easily "hackable". In my case, I need multiregion playback, so a new player that isn't hackable is not going to replace what I already have. Therefore, the new player only needs to deal with Blu-ray, and nothing else. Unless other Blu-ray players do a crappy job of playing BD discs, there is no reason for me to spend much on a BD player. Upconversion of DVDs, SACD, and DVD-Audio playback are already well handled by the Oppo DV-983H.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I have been on the fence about Blu-Ray for a while now simply because I haven't found the right player at the right price for me!!! I have the Denon AVR3805 and thus I definitely need analog 5.1 to connect since I lack HDMI support on my receiver!!!

Here is my take on the price for the OPPO!!! I feel with DVD-A and SACD combined with the Blu-Ray 2.0 standards they will probably sell it at $499 and justifiably so, but I know I won't buy one!!!

DVD-A and SACD support are not what I am looking for, I want a standalone BD player that can compete with the PS3 and provide me with hi-def audio format support through 5.1 analog inputs and I don't want to pay more than $399 for it!!!

At $499 I will just stick with the PS3 and look to upgrade my A/V receiver in the near future!!!
Most certainly sound reasoning on your part!

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
399.00 would be a comfortable trigger price. At 499.00 I would have to think twice and consider the WAF factor also in these troubling times.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
I have a PS3 and my wife has a laptop with a BD reader. I would like to have the Oppo, but I won't pay $500. Even at $400, I hesitate. At $300, it would be a go.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I have a PS3 and my wife has a laptop with a BD reader. I would like to have the Oppo, but I won't pay $500. Even at $400, I hesitate. At $300, it would be a go.
Obviously, since nothing else gets even close to it at that price. ;)

Sticking with Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. is not a bad way to go at all at that price-point!

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
$399 Tops.
Right now you can buy a Pioneer BDP-51FD for $300 has everything I need (I already have a oppo 980h for sacd and dvd-audio but I never listen in this formats anyway) and I like the pioneer construction...
<br/>By <a target="_new" href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mardelgo">mardelgo</a> at 2009-04-29[/IMG]
<br/>By <a target="_new" href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mardelgo">mardelgo</a> at 2009-04-29[/IMG]
<br/>By <a target="_new" href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mardelgo">mardelgo</a> at 2009-04-29

Last edited by a moderator:
H

henrii

Audiophyte
$499 is currently a bargain for a true universal (BD, DVD-V, DVD-A, CD, SACD) player.

ricks778

ricks778

Audiophyte
I agree with Henrii. This is a question of price for a "True" universal "All-in-one" player. the only other one I know of that is planned to be out soon. is the Denon DVD-A1UDCI. At over $4000. So what is wrong with Oppo asking $500 or more dollars for it, if it is a really good player.
This is not a discussion about something you don't need.

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
The only thing not "universal" about the Oppo is that it is a not a region free Blu-Ray player!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$500 for a true Universal Player is a bargain.

I would get one, except I already have a Denon BD player, an Oppo SACD/DVD-A player, and 2 HTPCs.:D

$500 is a great price.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
The only thing not "universal" about the Oppo is that it is a not a region free Blu-Ray player!!!
That's the problem! Oppo spoiled you guys in the past with region free players!

I understand, it would not be cheap to have an after-market mod either, if even possible.

5 big ones is not chump change. But there is no alternative for a player with the same credentials, if there even is one around.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis