OPPO BDP 105 receiver?

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Oppo has long been recommended as the top o the heap in blue-ray. With that in mind, given the capabilities of the unit, at least as far as I can tell, would this make a good pre/pro? I dont need multi zone or a lot of the features offered with current AVRs. All I really need is 5.1 HT and 2.1 music. Single HDMI o/i, and the ability to switch between the two. I currently run a Sherbourn PT-7030 that I picked up when Emo took over. I like the 7030 but it has a few quirks that leave me looking for a different solution. Any thoughts or insight would be helpful.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The 105 can be used as a pre/pro; it doesn't have any room correction and things like that, but would work as it allows adjustments of speakers distances, levels, and crossovers, has volume control, etc.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I tried it running to my ATI2002 amp, tired the balanced and unbalanced connections. I just found the OPPO was a little to sterile, little grainier in the highs than my actual pre-amp or even my AVR. But you know it wasn't that bad, I say give it a try.

P

puckhead

Audioholic Intern
I've been using the 105 as a pre-amp since I got it when it was first released. It's a much simpler set-up and the sound is great. I don't miss room correction or any of the other bells & whistles on your typical AVR or pre/pro. The only 2 things on my wish list for the next generation are trigger ins/outs and an analog in for a turntable.

For your set-up I'd say it should work just fine. If you do go this route, just make sure to go into the set-up menu and change volume to variable and turn it way down (I'd start at 0 and work my way up) before you fire up your amps and play something. And check the setting after each firmware upgrade.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
just make sure to go into the set-up menu and change volume to variable and turn it way down (I'd start at 0 and work my way up) before you fire up your amps and play something.
+1 Boy that's for sure... Great point

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Oppo has long been recommended as the top o the heap in blue-ray. With that in mind, given the capabilities of the unit, at least as far as I can tell, would this make a good pre/pro? I dont need multi zone or a lot of the features offered with current AVRs. All I really need is 5.1 HT and 2.1 music. Single HDMI o/i, and the ability to switch between the two. I currently run a Sherbourn PT-7030 that I picked up when Emo took over. I like the 7030 but it has a few quirks that leave me looking for a different solution. Any thoughts or insight would be helpful.
I am currently using the BDP-105D as a preamp and it works fine.
After my AV8801 went out for its second trigger repair, I verified it was working properly and sold it.

I programed the Pronto 9400 remote. It is slower than an AVR to startup and select inputs, but my wife and kids are not complaining. So at this point, I have no need for an AVR/Processor.
I'll see what Atmos has to offer 5.1 systems.

I tried a couple of HDMI switches in front of the 105D HDMI input but they proved to be unreliable. The DVD Quick6 would hang on power up/down and a G2G switch that would sometimes go black.

So, I am currently using the Oppo BDP-105D as a preamp connected to an HA-1 DAC/Headphone Amp/Preamp in HT bypass mode.

- Rich

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for all the replys. I run the Ascend Sierra towers in my front channel. I personally need the bass boost in the lower octave for music. The Oppo has stereo but doesnt seem to have the lfe in stereo mode. Is anyone else running a sub in 2 channel with this unit? I dropped an e-mail to oppo tech support about the .1 in stereo mode. Maybe it will get the ball rolling on a change for a future software upgrade or maybe a next model.

Rich, i'm not too worried about the slow switching or startup. The Sherbourn has slightly worse quirks than that. It skips the first half second or so of a selected track, it doesn't do it with consecutive tracks, just the first when selecting an individual track. Switching is slow, again doesn't bother me. Sound cuts out while it tries to figure out which audio upconvert it wants to run while watching cable. Not that I care about the commercials, it's just annoying.

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
So you can run both the xlr and the rca at the same time?

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I see. So when you were talking about switching, you were referring to going in to change setttings for HT to stereo?
Also what are your feelings on sound quality in stereo. Do you find the sound sterile or grainy compared to other setups you have used?

RichB

RichB

I see. So when you were talking about switching, you were referring to going in to change setttings for HT to stereo?
Also what are your feelings on sound quality in stereo. Do you find the sound sterile or grainy compared to other setups you have used?
The switching is from inputs and locking onto HDMI formats.
The Oppo must be sent an input command followed by a number for each input.

I much preferred the Oppo via 7.1 over the AV8801 HDMI.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

I am not trying to avoid your question but sound quality is so subjective there is just no way to answer properly.

Personally, I am a fan of accuracy and transparency. Many years ago, I bought Revel Salons because I refused to spend that kind of money on a speaker that was not accurate and full range. I still have them, but they now perform up to their potential.

As a software person, I used to believe that if it were digital it had to be better because there was less opportunity for error.
At one point, I had modded an Auzuntech soundcard and it sounded great, but still I believed there had to some equalization responsible for this. My HDMI BD player, although it sounded worse must be correct and I stuck with it.

Then, Oppo sent me a BDP-95 to beta test and suddenly the sound I heard from the Auzuntech had returned.
Many CD's that I had written off were not that bad.

So, I have developed an opinion that LPCM bit streams are not always, in and of themselves, a guarantee of good sound quality. There can be problems when processing a digital data stream that can reduce sound quality. This is easily proven by altering the bit-depth and bit-rate when streaming to USB DACs. The data is the same, yet the sound can be altered. For, me this was a Q.E.D. moment.

I have limited experience with other products, the BDP-105D is a great product, but for a two channel system where bass management is not required, I prefer the HA-1. So, I have both with the HA-1 in HT bypass for 2-channel.

Neither product is what I would call Sterile or lacking in transparency.
If you need the streaming feature of the BDP-105(D) or bass-management this is a great choice.
I do not need these features for two channel and want the most accurate transparent product, so the HA-1 is my choice.
However, that may not be a better choice for your system.

My brother-in-law put together a system with a BDP-105, Revel F206's, and Grotti sub and he absolutely loves it, so do I.</SPAN>

As far as Audyssey is concerned, I am of the opinion, that there is a cost and a benefit. In my system, in my room, the cost outweighed the benefit.</SPAN>

- Rich</SPAN>

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis