oppo 981 vs. panasonic s97

N

ndangrd

Audioholic Intern
need a new upconverting dvd player which will also be my primary cd player (so i need good sound quality as well). which one will work better for my system? i want to stay at or under $250...

will i have problems with either of these and my 50" panny plasma?

N

ndangrd

Audioholic Intern
well, i emailed oppo & they replied quickly & suggested the 981. so, i'll give that a try first...

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I'm not familiar with the other unit, but I have the 981 which I use with my Pioneer 50" plasma and soon my HD72:D It works really well with the plasma, so I think you made a good choice. I was using a 7-8 yr old Sony unit up till then on a 35" Toshiba CRT. I had no idea what I was missing:p
Hope you enjoy your purchase.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
well, i emailed oppo & they replied quickly & suggested the 981. so, i'll give that a try first...
Honestly, did you really think that Oppo is going to suggest the Panasonic over their player? :D

I've never owned an Oppo but I have no reason to doubt their quality. I do own a Panasonic DVD recorder and I am very happy with it.

Keep in mind that the only way you will hear any difference between DVD players is if you are using the analog outputs. If you use the digital outputs then there will be no difference.

majorloser

majorloser

I own a OPPO 981 and have no complaints. Works great.

L

lubmar

Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with the other unit, but I have the 981 which I use with my Pioneer 50" plasma and soon my HD72 It works really well with the plasma, so I think you made a good choice. I was using a 7-8 yr old Sony unit up till then on a 35" Toshiba CRT. I had no idea what I was missing
Hope you enjoy your purchase.
I have the hd6800 the costco ver. of hd72, I did try my pj with panasonic S77 that uses same chip as S97 and oppo 981. With the 1st Matrix movie I got a huge MB. I wonder how is Your pj with 981.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
ndangrd said:
need a new upconverting dvd player which will also be my primary cd player (so i need good sound quality as well). which one will work better for my system? i want to stay at or under $250...

I have the Panny 97 S, great piece of gear, I recommend it, always strong reviews. I use it along with the Panny SAXR 70S sorround receiver, excellent combination. And my 42" Panny plasma.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
ndangrd said:

I have the entry level Oppo 970 and would recommend one of their players. For detailed DVD player specs, check out the Secrets of HT site. There is more to a player than using a good chip and Oppo has some of the best implementations.

Also keep in mind, when using a digital audio cable from the DVD player to the receiver there will be no difference in SQ between the players. The receiver will do the D/A conversion.

majorloser

majorloser

lubmar said:
I have the hd6800 the costco ver. of hd72, I did try my pj with panasonic S77 that uses same chip as S97 and oppo 981. With the 1st Matrix movie I got a huge MB. I wonder how is Your pj with 981.
I'm using my OPPO 981 with a Optoma H78-DC3 with no issues.

L

lubmar

Enthusiast
I'm using my OPPO 981 with a Optoma H78-DC3 with no issues.
Did You try the Matrix? When Trinidy talks to Morfius on the phone the wall in the back is "flashing", same when the track is going toward the pay phone.

majorloser

majorloser

lubmar said:
Did You try the Matrix? When Trinidy talks to Morfius on the phone the wall in the back is "flashing", same when the track is going toward the pay phone.
Sorry, I don't own the Matrix. I'll see if I can get a copy and try it out. First movie?

N

ndangrd

Audioholic Intern
Hi Ho said:
Honestly, did you really think that Oppo is going to suggest the Panasonic over their player? :D
ah, i asked oppo which one of THEIR players would work best for my system. no, i didn't think they were going to tell me to buy the panny :)

it appears a lot of people recommend the 970 for plasma's. the s97 uses the same chip (i believe) as the 981/971 so i would assume that since panasonic sells plasmas that they would mate well. by that logic, the 981/971 should work well too. i'll see soon enough...

L

lubmar

Enthusiast
Sorry, I don't own the Matrix. I'll see if I can get a copy and try it out. First movie?
Yes the first part of matrixs, begining of the movie.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
lubmar said:

Well, I just got my pj the other day. I finally have it up, but the install is not finished. I have watched two movies with the 981 with no problems at all with MB. I watched "Curse of the Black Pearl" and "Van Helsing". Lots of dark seens with no problems. I don't own "The Matrix", so I can't compare. FWIW I have used the 981 for many movies on my Pioneer plasma with no problems, either. Have you called Oppo back to help troubleshoot?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
A bit off topic

the issues regarding MB and the oppos. Is the MB effect prevelent only with shades(whites & blacks)? Also will the contrast ratio of the tv(high or low) effect the MB effect of a dvd player. I ask this question because I've adjusted my tv to death and with certain dvds it appears but only in those instances.:eek:

Thanks, Bill:)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
billy p said:
the issues regarding MB and the oppos. Is the MB effect prevelent only with shades(whites & blacks)? Also will the contrast ratio of the tv(high or low) effect the MB effect of a dvd player. I ask this question because I've adjusted my tv to death and with certain dvds it appears but only in those instances.:eek:

Thanks, Bill:)
What is MB?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Macroblocking

darien87 said:
What is MB?
or so I thought:)! The oppos have this issue with some dlp & pj tv's and was trying to make sure if tv's with a lower contrast ratio have more of an issue. I should of maybe asked this question in a new thread? Sometimes, if a question is asked in another persons thread its' slow to get a response, should of known better.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis