J

jakester

Audioholic Intern
I just watched my first movie with my new 980H, after I watched it I was looking at some of the settings, in the video res, it was on 480 I set it at 1080P 60hz and the pic seemed blurrier, what is the proper way to set the resolution on the 980H for the optimum picture, still looking at the settings there are a ton of them.

Chet

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
A friend of mine is using the Oppo 983 with a Vizio TV and it took him a while to get things looking the way he wanted. First off I'm going to assume your TV is capable of 1080P. If it is only capable of 1080i, that might be your issue. Are you running the HDMI into an AVR or directly into your TV? If it is into an AVR, is it possible both the Oppo and the AVR are trying to do upconversion? My friend had to go into the TV menu and choose a blur reduction setting that the Vizio has (I forgot exactly what it was called). Others may be able to offer more suggestions if you tell us which TV you have. Sorry I couldn't offer more help.

J

jakester

Audioholic Intern
Is your display calibrated?
J Garcia

Please don't m ind, but this is my first HD tv coming from a 32 CRT type tv, the TV is new 2 days ago it is a Samsung LN52B750, as for Calibrated, don't know what that is. do I need a special disk, a disk did come with the TV, I will check it out, just got the OPPO 980H yesterday.

thanks
Chet

J

jakester

Audioholic Intern
A friend of mine is using the Oppo 983 with a Vizio TV and it took him a while to get things looking the way he wanted. First off I'm going to assume your TV is capable of 1080P. If it is only capable of 1080i, that might be your issue. Are you running the HDMI into an AVR or directly into your TV? If it is into an AVR, is it possible both the Oppo and the AVR are trying to do upconversion? My friend had to go into the TV menu and choose a blur reduction setting that the Vizio has (I forgot exactly what it was called). Others may be able to offer more suggestions if you tell us which TV you have. Sorry I couldn't offer more help.

Hi OppMan

just got the new TV 2 days ago, it is a Samsung LN52B750 it is 1080P, I have a HDMI from the OPPO to the HDMI into the TV and a digital audio coax from the OPPO to the Yamaha receiver

Chet

J

jakester

Audioholic Intern
OPPO 980h

I emailed OPPO about what resoultion is best, my tv is a 1080P, this was their reply

Chet,

Ensure that you have done a proper video calibration using AVIA, DVE, or the THX Optimizer to ensure that your brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness settings on your television are set appropriately when using 1080p. Also disable any 120Hz or other video enhancers, as these will negatively enhance the picture.

the way It looks I will need a DVD calibration disk, are these available at a local Best Buys, Walmart ect. or are they mail order only, and if I might ask would a brand new tv need to be calibrated

Chet

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Chet. Yes, you'll benefit from calibration on a new TV.

One of the calibration discs available is Digital Video Essentials. Another is Avia. Both are available at Best Buy, and probably at other local stores (but I didn't check any others). If you have any questions about how to use one of them, just let us know.

BTW, congrats on the new TV! That's a nice model that you got.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just watched my first movie with my new 980H, after I watched it I was looking at some of the settings, in the video res, it was on 480 I set it at 1080P 60hz and the pic seemed blurrier, what is the proper way to set the resolution on the 980H for the optimum picture, still looking at the settings there are a ton of them.

Chet
Aside from being a settings and calibrations as others have suggested, there is an outside chance that you may not be able to do much about it. I have had similar experience with my Denon 3910. I can get excellent PQ in 480i or 480p but not so good in 1080i. If the 980H use the ABT VP for upscaling then it should do better but it is still possible that your Samsung 750 has a better upscaler in it. If the 980H has the Faroudja VP in it then it is quite possible the Samsung display could actually do a better job upscaling to 1080p.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can find out if your set has a better upscaler than the 980 by setting the 980 to 480i.

Also from the Oppo page:

Q: Why should I buy the OPPO DV-980H player when my HD display has an internal scaler?
A: That's because, in general, the scaler in a high-performance up-converting DVD player, such as the DV-980H, is more specialized in de-interlacing and scaling DVD signals than a typical HD display's scaler, leading to better picture quality. The process of converting a standard-definition DVD signal to the native resolution of your HD display may cause a host of video artifacts if not performed properly. These flaws will be especially noticeable on large and high-resolution screens. Quality de-interlacing and scaling are the key components to stable, artifact-free movie watching, and frequently the components built into the display (and into many competing DVD players) to perform these tasks are not up to the challenge. In most cases the scaler built into the DV-980H is more suitable for up-converting DVD video signal to high definition video signal, because:

* The de-interlacing and scaling are performed at the point closest to the video source, thus avoiding video artifacts that can be introduced when analog video signal travels from the DVD player to the TV display. Once unconverted to HD signal, the video signal is carried to the TV in pure digital format via HDMI output, and is no longer susceptible to analog noise.
* The de-interlacer and scaler have a direct digital hookup with the DVD reader, so that it can get the flags and additional information encoded in the DVD disc directly and performs the up-conversion accordingly. Doing up-converting outside of the DVD player may lose this advantage.

On the other hand, for HD displays that have high-quality internal de-interlacing and scaling circuitry, and for external video signal processors found in high-end home theater systems, the OPPO DV-980H is an excellent universal transport. Its HDMI output supports 480i/576i resolution, which is the native video format as encoded on the DVD discs. By using the 480i/576i resolution output over HDMI, digital video and audio signals stay in the digital domain all the way from the disc to the display, without going through unnecessary digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversions
The MAIN thing that needs to be set correctly is the sharpness. If it is set too high, the picture will look artificial. Contrast and brightness are very important as well, as they ultimately determine most of the PQ. Any of the calibration discs will explain all of this for you as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis