V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
I just received the Oppo DV-970HD for my birthday and I am a happy man! I didn't fully realize how much my Samsung HD-841 sucked, most particularly audio-wise. Played DVD's, DVD-A's and SACD's for a couple hours last night and it's like night and day! I am falling in love with my system all over again. I am hearing things in DVD soundtracks for the first time that I have watched ad-nauseum in the past.

One thing I can't believe is how bad the Samsung was and I tolerated it for 2 years. I never realized how bad this DVD player was until last night! :eek: Should always remember what my Brother told me years ago...

It's all in the source!

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I so want to get the Oppo 970, but all my stuff is black, and that thing is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I hear a 972H is coming out this fall at some point. It will be black and identical to the 971 except with SACD and DVD-A capabilities.

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
Color and finish mean nothing to me. I have both black and silver components and a white Xbox 360.

Seems like a shame to miss out on quality because of color.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
vlad335 said:
Seems like a shame to miss out on quality because of color.
My thoughts exactly the video performance & cost of both oppo players should supersede all else!! If both where made available, then black would of been my choice!!;)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I had a horrible experience with the Oppo 971 due to the macroblocking issues. Much worse then the Samsung HD-841 I was hoping to replace. Ended up returning the Oppo. Any comments on the MB issue?

I have upgraded my TV since then, maybe I should give it another shot?

T

tejax

Audioholic Intern
Oppo 970 doesn't have the MB issue as it uses mediatek chipsets both for decoding and scaling. The MB on the 971 is caused by the faroudja chip.

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
We just watched Xmen 3, The Last Stand and the PQ was amazing on the Oppo. The closest to HD quality from a DVD player I have ever seen.

My wife even made a comment on the quality when the opening menu came up.

I am very pleased with this player!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis