M

Mclovin

Enthusiast
Had this blue ray player for about 2 yrs now and thought I would give you my thoughts.. the player plays DVDS very well..fast loading.. you press play and it plays a dvd..wow.

As far as picture goes... I'm running a 40 inch Samsung led.. looks nice... but probably no better then any other DVD player with this size tv.

The remote.. Guess this is personal preference, but the thing is the size of a football stadium and i find the ergonomics quiet shitty indeed, but I do like the built in light, so that's something.

Smart features.. well i have had numerous lockups with Netflix.. and YouTube mirroring is an absolute joke! No more than 3 videos then it will freeze and you have to shut the system down. I have been in contact with Oppo about this once before and they said it's a YouTube Problem.. but this doesn't do it with any other players I've owned. Actually I've currently just purchased a Ruku and it's 3 times faster with absolutely no locking up. They need major software revision.

Audio.. Oppo has amazing audio for blue ray and for streaming! Ruko (ultra)does not compare. This is really the only place this thing shines, but it shines bright.

Not shitting on oppo...for a dvd player (which is what it's purpose is).. it serves its purpose well. Just probably a little overpriced for a standalone dvd player with decoding (which most likely is an unused feature to most)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How was it with blu-rays? Do you use digital or analog audio connections?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes always blue ray.. should have stated that. Digital via hdmi
You typed "dvd" like 3 times in your first post, lol.

I've been using my Xbox 1s for blu rays and it works really well. I haven't had an opportunity to check out anything from Oppo, but everything I read about them is generally very positive.

M

Mclovin

Enthusiast
You typed "dvd" like 3 times in your first post, lol.

I've been using my Xbox 1s for blu rays and it works really well. I haven't had an opportunity to check out anything from Oppo, but everything I read about them is generally very positive.
Haha..true...but eat poop.. yes the ability to play BLUR RAY works flawless.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes always blue ray.. should have stated that. Digital via hdmi
Thanks, have heard the handling of dvd is better than some, but what makes the digital audio better than another unit?

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I've had my Oppo BDP-103D for a year and I am very happy with it. HDMI-1 out to display (Samsung KS8000) and HDMI-2 to AVR (Anthem MRX 520).
The player is used only for CD, SACD, Blu-ray, and DVD playback, so I have nothing to say about its streaming capabilities. Darby chip is set at 35% for both Blu-ray and DVD and really does a nice job on the video image. SACD playback is set for multi-channel if available.
What I believe is the "best feature" of this player is its video processors. Upscaling of DVD's to 4K x 2K output look great on the display. In fact, many of my DVD's look about 80%-90% as nice as their Blu-ray counterparts, which is what sold me on this unit....my collection of DVD's now has a second life. Blu-ray images upscaled to 4K x 2K look stunning.
Audio playback is excellent, but that's a function of the AVR as the Oppo is only sending it a digital signal.
The large remote is not an issue for me, but I wish many of its functions did not require having the display on in order to use them.
Load time is very fast.
What impresses me the most about this player is its ability to upscale DVD images to 4K x 2K output really, really well. I am not concerned about replacing my DVD's with Blu-ray's (though I did replace about a dozen early release Criterion DVD's that were non-anamorphic with their newer Blu-ray releases--zooming the postage stamp images to fill the screen lost too much resolution and detail). The Darby chip is also impressive and gives excellent results. And to top it off, the Darby output is adjustable by the user. I have no regrets having purchased this player. In fact, I was impressed enough with the product to consider Oppo when I purchased headphones last January (I wound up getting a set of their PM-2 headphones).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis