Opinions on PSB Image B25

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I've read the posts concerning the Monitor Audio S-2 & the Paradigm Studio 20. I have been able to hear both and like both. I will buy either one on price in near future (very near).

One thing I haven't heard is the PSB Image B25 (can't find them locally). I've really enjoyed the PSB setups I heard a few years ago. I even own an Image 8C center, love it. I'll be traveling next week and I will finally have a chance to hear the newer PSBs.

Any opinions on the PSB Image B25? Are they even in the same ballpark as the S-2 or the Studio 20s???

(Oh ya, I'm using a Pioneer 1014 receiver)

audioferret

audioferret

Enthusiast
PSB Line

farscaper said:
Any opinions on the PSB Image B25? Are they even in the same ballpark as the S-2 or the Studio 20s???
I can't speak for the B25, but I have heard the B15, C40, T45, T55, and T65. I own a pair of B15s that I took down to the local Paradigm dealer to AB with a Mini Monior setup. My time was limited and budget even more limited, so I could only compare the two for an hour or so.

Bottom line, the Image series is very nearly on par with the Monitor line, not the Studio line. Studio is clearly a step above, in my opinion. Eventually, I will get a chance to objectively compare the Image and Monitor to determine which I prefer, but now they are too close to say.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
farscaper said:
I've read the posts concerning the Monitor Audio S-2 & the Paradigm Studio 20. I have been able to hear both and like both. I will buy either one on price in near future (very near).

One thing I haven't heard is the PSB Image B25 (can't find them locally). I've really enjoyed the PSB setups I heard a few years ago. I even own an Image 8C center, love it. I'll be traveling next week and I will finally have a chance to hear the newer PSBs.

(Oh ya, I'm using a Pioneer 1014 receiver)

I love PSBs Image series, owning the Image 1B (surrounds) Image8 (center) Image T45s (mains) and subsonic5 (sub) I haven't heard the B25s personally but have read lots of good stuff about them. Stereophile loves em;

http://stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/1204psb/

But the Image series is out of the league of Paradigm's Studio Series. To make that a more fair comparison espcially in terms of price and quality, go up to PSB's Stratus Series. But the Stratus series is very power hungry and I don't think the Pioneer is up to the task to make em sing like they can when mated to something like Bryston.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I have to give a call here....as I just went speaker auditioning today in arguably Portland, Oregon's highest high-end A/V store. I went in with the idea of slappin' down the plastic on a 5 speaker Paradigm setup (the store's cheapest line-up). And ya know what? No way, Jose! No way a Paradigm of any mold will ever grace these fake-wood floors o' mine. It's a good thing I left my icepick at home, or my eardrums would be gonners.

If you like those piercing, grating highs, almost as bad as horns, you'll never like my speakers. I was VERY impressed with their imaging and their mids and high to mid-bass. But those tweeters will be in my nightmares for days. I tried 4 different 'digm models/price levels...all had that irritating (to me) high end.

So now? Now I can't settle for anything less than Thiels. They had a really warm, yet transparent presentation. Ooooh. And the cabs....what a touch of prettiness, my sweets.

Yeah, like the boss-lady is gonna let me part with several grand to listen to blues, rock, and sci-fi. As I said. No way, Jose! :(

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Hummmm. I listened to the Paradigm studios hooked to a NAD receiver. I believe it was a T763. I did hear the highs but I didn't find them to be that harsh. That said, I didn't bring my own music. I'll have to check that out.

As for the PSB Stratus. I looked at some of the specs earlier and I have to agree. I don't think my Pioneer is appropriate. Maybe in the next genaration of my setup. The one that includes a Marantz receiver and a nice multi-channel amp. :rolleyes:

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I own PSB 2B's and I've heard every speaker your thinking about. I think that the B25's are great, but the other two outgun them by a fairly large degree, as the price difference will reflect. Those Stratus will give the other two a go, but the 1014 isn't up to it. The most efficient of the speakers you are looking at is that MA. Those Paradigms are very power hungry as well, at least according to my local shop. I'm not saying that those MA's are pictures of efficiency but they seem to be the ones that will be driven most easily by the Pioneer you own. Please do me one favour. If you haven't done it yet demo the MA B2. I love that speaker and think that it performs well above its price point. It is about on par with the PSB 25B spec/pricewise.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Takeereasy said:
I own PSB 2B's and I've heard every speaker your thinking about. I think that the B25's are great, but the other two outgun them by a fairly large degree, as the price difference will reflect. Those Stratus will give the other two a go, but the 1014 isn't up to it. The most efficient of the speakers you are looking at is that MA. Those Paradigms are very power hungry as well, at least according to my local shop. I'm not saying that those MA's are pictures of efficiency but they seem to be the ones that will be driven most easily by the Pioneer you own. Please do me one favour. If you haven't done it yet demo the MA B2. I love that speaker and think that it performs well above its price point. It is about on par with the PSB 25B spec/pricewise.

Takeereasy...

Can you expand your comments on the MA lines? I know very little about them, but that they are attractive speakers.

I asked the salesguy at the A/V store yesterday his opinion of KEF products. He said that, in general (and including B&W), he didn't much care for British speakers. He found them transparent, yes, but also all very "flat" and "lifeless". I'm not sure what he meant by that because I didn't ask for clarification. What's your take, Take?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I think Monitor Audio makes a great product, period. One of my first trips ever into a hi-fi shop had me on my hands and knees looking for the sub that had to be filling in the lows for a pair of MA B2's. (At the time I had never heard of Monitor Audio) There was no sub, only great sound from two bookshelfs a tad smaller than my own PSB's.

I would never say that the B2 is lifeless. It throws out a ton of depth and really does a great job of translating the source information provided into sound. The B2's are not THAT transparent IMO. They will cover some flaws that a truely revealing speaker would make obvious. To me that's not always a bad thing. The B2 was a source of great concern for me because I seriously considered returning my 2B's for these speakers. The S2 is a real step up. Both pricewise and quality wise. Where the B2 is pretty enveloping and warm the S2 is just great. It images better than I imagined, engages the listener, really does go pretty low for a bookshelf, and it is one fantastic looking son of a gun. The gold series is the best looking and to be honest the best sounding, but I think the real value in the MA line is in the Silver or now I guess the RS Silver lineup. For towers I've never heard the entire lineup of MA's, but I have heard the S6, S8, and the GR 60 & 20's. The S8's were in a room with Paradigm floorstanders (not signature or reference but monitor series) and they were my favourite by far of the group. Super "rich" sound. The GR60's sound incredible, no way around it, but for value I'd go with the S8's. The 60's I heard where in a treated dedicated HT room that was very deadened for sound and they were up against Paradigm 100's. I can't tell you which was better for music but I liked the Paradigms better for movies. Also in this room there was a sub on at all times.

I read that you disliked the Paradigm Studio 20's for the harsh highs (while I really liked them), and the MA's do have a more, I don't want to say refined or laid back sound, but it is a less aggressive sound I think youd prefer. I really like Paradigm speakers and would be thrilled to own almost any of their products, but I think I would be happier with some Monitor Audios for extended music only listening. I have no trouble picturing me popping in a cd and lounging with any of the MA's starting with the Bronze Series. When I think of the paradigms it's always in relation to movies for some reason, and generally action flicks at that. I know that this is only my opinion, but most honest audio fans have to admit that speakers are a very subjective thing.

MA speakers are also pretty damn sexy IMO. They have what I feel are THE best looking tweeters available form a large speaker manuf. today.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
:( Super report, Takeereasy! I'd give you a green chicklet (again), but they're making me spread it around before you can get another. :rolleyes: That was a great personal perspective and enjoyable review.

I gotta find some MA's to audition. Your description allows for some moderation in the MA's of those active highs I hated on the Paradigms. Your observation is quite correct. I do like the laid-back, warmer speakers. That's why the Thiel attracted me. A lot of folks here would find them wanting as HT speakers, I think. But I have more of an MA style checkbook. :(

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
RJ, you should check out the PC line from Phase Technology. Slightly laid back on the highs. Great sound though. Soft dome tweeter, soft dome midrange, and mega mid woofers. Their top of the line (made in the USA) speakers are $2000/pr. The bookshelves are $1200/pr.

Check out what I thought of them here.

C

ChrisTX

Audiophyte
New to the forum.........hello.

I have a smaller room, and I auditioned the PSB B15/Monitor Audio B1 (Bronze)/Klipsch RB15 a couple of weeks ago. I know you are asking for the larger bookshelves, but maybe my experience can be of help. The reciever pushing was a NAD.

I could only compare 2 at a time A/B. My first was the MA vs the Klipsch. The first song I listened to, Cat Stephens Wild World, I actually preferred the Klipsch. It seemed more accurate, and the acoustic guitar in Stephens' songs stood out. But, as I moved on to other music, I started to prefer the MA's, by a wide margin. They seemed much more "natural" and true; the Klipsch started becoming irritating after awhile.

Next I A/B'd the MA vs the PSB. This was a very close call at first, but again the more I listend the more I preferred the MA's. Voices on the PSB had a "nasally" ring to them. Even so, I would choose the PSB's over the Klipsch.

The best way I can describe the MA's is "natural" sounding, smooth. The PSB's a little more "grating" at the higher frequencies, and the Klipschs even worse than that. I do like the look of the PSB's, though. Those are some great looking speakers and if they would have been a little closer to the MA's in sound quality to my ears, I would have gotten them.

I did end up A/B'ing the B1 vs the B2 MA's; the B2 is the same size as the B25's you asked about. I preferred the smaller B1's over them as well. I did prefer the B2's over the PSB's, though.

I ended up purchasing the MA Bronze system with the B1's all around a 5.1 setup with the Bronze center; I have not picked it up yet because they only had 2 B1's in the box and they had to order another pair. I have an Elite 54TX I luckily ran across an open box at Tweeter a month ago at a very low price. I plan to purchase an STF-2 sub to complete the system. Hopefully, I will have it all set up within the month. Hopefully, the Elite will be complimentary to the MA's; I think it will.

So, I hope this gives some insight of PSB vs MA. Of course, you might like the PSB's more. Good luck.

Chris

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i seemed to agree with the general consensus. although i havent heard the silver series, ive read a lot of comparisons with MA and the axiom line. many reviews said matching their axioms and MA silvers together would be no problem. but, the MA are supposedly more defined, at leasst with their floorstanding speakers. Im not so sure about the bookshelves, but im sure the quality would a league above the images.

Last edited:
T

trw005

Audioholic Intern
Well ya know an Axiom guy has to chime in here. lol I auditioned the B25's and was very impressed especially with the soundstage and image. And I checked a few of the botique brands and skipped anything from mass merchants. However, with all the hoopla over Axiom (M22) I had to try those too. Same price as B25's. I like rock, blues and jazz, some classical. I had the Axiom M3 's here too at same time. (tried to get away cheap lol) M22's have a unique way of being revealing and super accurate but still have some punch with warm tight bass but I'd use a sub too. Most do anyways. They're 8 ohm and efficient too. Was an easy choice for me. Axiom has a message board and unbeatable service. Definately a brand to consider. ( I have 5 of them now, sheesh) Shopping for audio gear is fun. Cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis