Opinions on Pioneer Elite vsx-82txs

K

kenz5

Audiophyte
Hey guys just curious as to what you think of this av receiver (good or bad)? I was thinking of getting it with the OrbAudio sat. system but wasn't sure if the receiver (~$1100) was way more than I needed for the Orb's? Is there something better or just as good that you could recommend? Thanks for your time, Ken.:eek:

E

edonsmith

Audioholic Intern
I looked at the 82 and 84 to upgrade my 10 year old Denon AVR3600. I have a very good authorized Pioneer dealer and for the $100 difference in discounted price I ended up doing the 84. It has 1 more HDMI, more power slightly, plus two remotes and a isolated power supply.

I have it going for a few days now and really love it. The sound EQ program is easy to use and helped my room a lot.

Don

K

kenz5

Audiophyte
Thanks Don, that might be a good idea. For an extra $100 the 84 maybe the way to go. May I ask how much you paid for the vsx 84? Thanks, Ken.

E

edonsmith

Audioholic Intern
I got mine for $955 plus shipping and since it was out of state that means no tax. So it totaled about $975.

I think the 82 was about 869 from the same dealer. If you want a contact info let me know. I can give you their phone and dealer info. They are a pioneer authorized dealer and I have dealt with them for years.

Sometimes they also have some open box or refurbished units but on the refurbs the warranty is only 90 days

pm me if you want the info

Don

T

tommyboy11746

Audiophyte
Don, would you mind telling me who your contact is for the pioneer 82. I have been getting good prices without a warranty, which is important. Thanks Tom

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I too would be interested in that dealer... could you pm me with the info also..

thanks so much

Warp

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks alot Don... you have been a great help...

Hopefully this will take care of my needs... :)
I don't care about scaling, just upconversion... the Pioneer VSX-81TXV will fill my needs respectively....
Or even the Pioneer 1016tx
My only contention is that they have a problem with Audio over HDMI, which will reduce LFE by -10, which is a problem with most brands, right now... and hopefully they will administer a firmware fix...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511&page=32&pp=30&highlight=lpcm

Not a killer for these receivers, but something to think about...

Warp

Last edited:
J

JayMan007

Audiophyte
Don, I would also be interested in that Pioneer Dealer info.

Warpdrv said:
Hopefully this will take care of my needs... :)
I don't care about scaling, just upconversion... the Pioneer VSX-81TXV will fill my needs respectively....
Or even the Pioneer 1016tx
My only contention is that they have a problem with Audio over HDMI, which will reduce LFE by -10, which is a problem with most brands, right now... and hopefully they will administer a firmware fix...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511&page=32&pp=30&highlight=lpcm

Not a killer for these receivers, but something to think about...

Warp
Warp,

You should be able to get audio over HDMI and pass video to the display with the 81 (82 & 84), but not with the 80 or 1016-they are both passthrough only (HDMI switch). So if you are looking to use HDMI with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, look at the upper Elites.

JayMan

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
JayMan007 said:
Don, I would also be interested in that Pioneer Dealer info.

Warp,

You should be able to get audio over HDMI and pass video to the display with the 81 (82 & 84), but not with the 80 or 1016-they are both passthrough only (HDMI switch). So if you are looking to use HDMI with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, look at the upper Elites.

JayMan
Yes you are correct with that info JayMan, looking at that information I am seriously battling back and forth with the Pioneer 82, and the Denon 2807... I can get the Denon for cost...

Either way, I need to upgrade to something here.. but it was really just going to be a temporary Pre/Pro for me... with a Rotel 1095 amp, with new Paradigm Studio setup and I seriously didn't want to spend that kind of money, for a temporary unit.

ruvic

Audiophyte
dealer info

Hey Don.. also kindly e-mail me the info of your dealer for the VSX-84TXSi.

thanks,
ruvic

ruvic

Audiophyte
edonsmith said:
I got mine for $955 plus shipping and since it was out of state that means no tax. So it totaled about $975.

I think the 82 was about 869 from the same dealer. If you want a contact info let me know. I can give you their phone and dealer info. They are a pioneer authorized dealer and I have dealt with them for years.

Sometimes they also have some open box or refurbished units but on the refurbs the warranty is only 90 days

pm me if you want the info

Don

thanks,
ruvic

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I ended up with Pioneer 81, and Im really diggin it... lots of tweakability...
Hooked up to a seperate Rotel amp, sounds fantastic... Now for the speaker upgrades... off to the dealer today... :)

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Let me preface this by saying I am a happy owner of a 74txvi, the 82's older cousin. The only semi-serious audio issue with Pioneer's (and many other brands) AVRs is the incorrect processing of LFE information (the low bass effects in the .1 channel of multichannel mixes) when digitally passed to the AVR as PCM. This results in the LFE being -10dB compared to the other channels (because LFE is supposed to receive a +10 dB boost -- which occurs properly if it is passed as bitstream). Furthermore, If bass management is used, the LFE deficit can't be corrected by simply boosting the subwoofer channel level, because that also boosts the redirected bass, which *DOESN'T* require +10dB. LFE can be separately boosted if using the multichannel analog inputs, but then you can't apply MCACC (room correction) or speaker size/delay.

This is a 'semi' serious issue because it ONLY affects *PCM* input of LFE , meaning it only affects 1) multichannel DVD-Audio and 2)high-def DVD (HD-DCD and Blue-Ray) input , because these are the only multichannel formats that must be output as PCM from players. (The situation with multichannel SACD , whether passed as native DSD or converted in the player to PCM, is more complicated -- its LFE may not require a 10 dB boost. Still investigating this.) It does NOT affect regular multichannel DVDs passed the usual way, as a digital bitstream. So the consumer with the average setup (i.e, with a standard-def DVD player that can't do DVD-A) won't encounter it.

Pioneer is going to offer a firmware fix for the issue...soon, they say.

More info on LFE issues in modern AVRs/players here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147&page=1

Last edited:
X

xblairp

Audiophyte
Pioneer Dealer Info request

Thanks
xblairp

P

pdxsound

Audiophyte
Did anybody got the dealer information for this pioneer elite receiver from Don??

Please PM thanks

E

edonsmith

Audioholic Intern
Sorry everyone but I am no longer giving out the info on the dealer. As many of you know Elite dealers are prohibited by Pioneer from selling mail order. Its right on their website plain for all to see.

So I kept getting emails from many of you claiming to be serious about buying one etc etc. So I gave the info to you via pm and assumed some would actually buy from the dealer. Then those of you that asked for the rush info stated that you were just price shopping, thinking about buying one later etc etc.

So I called my dealer and asked if anyone had actually called or bought anything and he said NOBODY had. So rather than risk his elite dealership to a bunch of window shoppers I think it is best for me not to pass it along anymore. Sorry to any of those of you that were actually going to buy something.

Don

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis