opinions on cerwin-vega?

P

pelvis70

Enthusiast
I was looking at two huge friggin cerwin vega towers on the weekend, horn tweets with mids and then 2 12" woofers per speaker 1600.00 cad are these any good or should I save my money , (maybe some paradigm reference down the road) P.S. thanks for the opinions:)

nav

nav

Audioholic
I can't say I'm a fan of the brand. Bigger isn't always better. However, how I feel doesn't matter. Do you like how they sound? I have no clue on the model and accordingly no idea on the MSRP.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Totally depends on what you want them for. Cerwins are great party speakers and can really pump out the bass. I think That they sound great with hard rock and club/techno and rap. That price is really over the top though compared to prices in the states. JR.com for example is selling these guys:http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3964182 for $300 US a pair. They have dual 15" drivers but I'm not sure if they are the same models because the tweeter only looks like a horn but it's a dome according to the info. I'm not sure if these are comperable models but they should give you an idea of the difference in cost. If you like the sound of cerwins then they could be for you. I'd take the Paradigms in a heartbeat though ;) .

E

electricdick

Audioholic Intern
Hi Pelvis.

CV are great rock speakers. You want to rip the roof off the house then these will do the trick. Years ago I took a long look at them and was very interested, just had no house at the time. I think they are Canadian made and have a number of distributors out west so you should be able to find some competitive prices out there.

Myself I run the Mirage OM-7's along with the C3 and rear speakers. Rich, supple but definitely not for full volume rock.

D ick

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
If you can get them cheap enough CVs speakers can make great, sturdy speaker stands :)

P

pelvis70

Enthusiast
thanks for the advice guys maybe ill keep saving for the paradigms:)

W

whateverman

Audioholic Intern
i got a pair of e-712's last night and i have to admit, at first i was pretty disappointed. i thought the bass was excellent (which is probably the main selling point of cerwin vegas and one of the main reasons i wanted the speakers), but i thought that the highs and mids were pretty bad. i hooked them up to my computer (via my receiver) and i was messing around with both the equalizers in winamp and my soundcard and after a few hours i feel like they are definitely worth the money i paid for them. i wouldnt trade them for anything. these speakers require tweaking to get them to the level YOU want them to be at. they're not perfect for anybody right out of the box. i was watching return of the king last night and the sound was amazingly clear (it wasnt even the dvd, it was a movie i downloaded online), the bass was so loud that it was shaking my windows UPSTAIRS while keeping the highs and mids crystal clear.

today i played a few kinds of music (rap, rock, classic rock, heavy metal, even some of my dads doo wop) and each and every type of music sounded perfect on these speakers. even though the music and vocals in doo wop go extremely high, these speakers can output the sound at very high volumes without ANY distortion and it sounded perfect. even mp3's i have that are really bad quality sounded better than decent. and the really good quality mp3s i had sounded wonderful, i could hear everything with great detail.

i'm definitely not an audiophile but i am VERY picky when it comes to what i like and what i dont like. like i mentioned before, when i got these speakers i was extremely picky at the sound but after some tweaking they sound absolutely PERFECT to me. it just takes some time to get them to the right level.

they are even comparable to my dads vintage acousti-phase phase II speakers, made in the 1980's. those speakers POUND like crazy and are awesome, and right now after i finished tweaking my vegas i would have a hard time choosing between the two pairs (if i had to pick between the acousti-phase and the vegas to keep). before i got the vegas i would choose the acousti-phases in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have a pair of Cerwins from 1985. I am the original owner. They are no longer in use, but were bulletproof. I agree with the other posts. Great for parties, rock, techno, & rap. NOT for HT or clean music like jaz, adult alternative, and soft rock.:)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've heard that they respond well to some mods. Some guys have added some damping (Black Hole 5) and glued in some internal bracing and reported getting excellent sound out of the 215's. The big problem with those "pet coffin" speakers is that they often are completely unbraced and undamped, but it's pretty cheap and easy to do it yourself.

For my own part, I'd love to have a pair of Classic 215's to mess around with. Sadly, though, although they're only $600 per pair from J&R, shipping is something like $250!:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis