Opinion on Buying a Polk psw505, or Bic Woofer

A

Arjav

Audiophyte
Right now, I can pick up a psw505 for $320 CAD + tax from Amazon, and am wondering if it is worth it for the money. Room is pretty big (25x20x8 and open on one 25ft side).

I can also get a Bic F12, Bic Venturi 1220, or some other Bic sub, as they tend to be under 400. Are there any others I should be considering?

Budget is $400. I know that's not a lot, but its what I got. I don't mind buying a used sub if I can get a better one for 400 or less.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I've used a PSW505 in a room about like that. It was boomy and distorted at the volume levels required to fill the room much. It might be *okay* for movie watching if you tuck it in a corner, but it will disappoint with music. I say this as one who loves bass but does not have experience with a multitude of quality subwoofers. If you've never had a dedicated sub at all, you might be impressed. A PSW505 served me well through my college years and beyond. I cannot speak from experience on the Bic, although by most accounts I've read, they make a better sub than Polk.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Right now, I can pick up a psw505 for $320 CAD + tax from Amazon, and am wondering if it is worth it for the money. Room is pretty big (25x20x8 and open on one 25ft side).

I can also get a Bic F12, Bic Venturi 1220, or some other Bic sub, as they tend to be under 400. Are there any others I should be considering?

Budget is $400. I know that's not a lot, but its what I got. I don't mind buying a used sub if I can get a better one for 400 or less.
Where in Canada are you? Maybe there's a used Paradigm or Velodyne or SVS or something respectable on Canuck Audio Mart or Fleabay within your price range?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Where in Canada are you? Maybe there's a used Paradigm or Velodyne or SVS or something respectable on Canuck Audio Mart or Fleabay within your price range?
With that budget i'd be looking at used if it were me. That or build a DIY sub if you have the tools/skills or a friend that does.

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
I own a 505. I would not recommend it.

The SVS PB1000 is 499, comes with in home trial period. It gets stellar reviews.

If you buy the 505, I suspect you will want to upgrade soon. I don't think you would be able to recoup your investment in the 505. Raising your Budget a tad is actually cheaper in the long run.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis