Only $11k per channel

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Moon Evolution 870A, which measures 18.75”W x 7.5”H x 17.5”D and weighs about 90 pounds, is Simaudio’s largest, most powerful, most expensive stereo amplifier. The 870A delivers its claimed power output with 16 proprietary, ideally matched Moon bipolar output transistors per channel, and has 300,000µF of power-supply capacitance. Since the 870A is dual-mono, its power supply includes two 1.3kVA transformers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
at $22k for stereo amp, some could say they are reaching for the moon

/snarehit

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'd rather have one of those than a $22K wristwatch.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
$22,000 for a stereo amp :eek:?

I can say with absolute certainty that I would never own such a thing. I wouldn't say no to 22 kilobuck speakers, but never for an amp. I'd probably make a terrible salesman, but I'd be embarrassed to try to sell that to ANYONE.

$11k per channel, even at $36 per watt, its a lot.

For that kind of money, I could buy:

Five Salk SS8s for a full surround sound system.

Six of these avahifi - Fet Valve 600R Amplifier, each of which produces 300 wpc

And still have some change left over.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
As the old saying says, there is one born every minute...

There is just no way that that thing is worth that price. Some people are just plain stupid, and some of them happen to have a significant amount of money to waste.

For those who feel the need for some justification of that, compare with this:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr1

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As the old saying says, there is one born every minute...

There is just no way that that thing is worth that price. Some people are just plain stupid, and some of them happen to have a significant amount of money to waste.

For those who feel the need for some justification of that, compare with this:

XPR-1 Mono-block Power Amplifier | Emotiva Audio | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amp
Yup. It is a pretty dang nice amp, BUT overpriced. I wonder what the profit margin is on this thing? It must be silly! But, the whole Simaudio/Denon debacle has put Simaudio on my boycott list for good anyway. I guess that saves me another $22K ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, probably has a Denon or Yamaha amp inside. :eek: :D

No, wait, it probably has an ATI amp inside. ;)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yup. It is a pretty dang nice amp, BUT overpriced. I wonder what the profit margin is on this thing? It must be silly! But, the whole Simaudio/Denon debacle has put Simaudio on my boycott list for good anyway. I guess that saves me another $22K ;)
Many components in this price range have dealer margins in the range of 40-50%, which means that the dealer's cost is probably around $11K. In low-volume high-end components like this you can usually get the dealer to split his margin with you, so 20-25% off MSRP is sometimes achievable, especially if you're a previous customer. As for Simaudio, that machined aluminum chassis looks relatively expensive. Perhaps a few hundred bucks each. It looks like there's at least a few hundred dollars worth of power supply and electronics in there. Add in R&D, board costs, hand assembly in Canada, packaging, and shipping, and the fact that volumes are probably pretty low, so fixed costs don't get a big denominator. I'd be very surprised if their gross margin is more than 50%, meaning that out of the $11,000 dealer cost they might be seeing $5500. Maybe. And then there's corporate overhead. I can't imagine what their anticipated volume is, but if they sold more than 100 of these amps per year I'd be shocked. You've got to wonder why anyone builds high-end components.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You've got to wonder why anyone builds high-end components.
I agree completely. Rather, high-end components is one thing, but here we are talking about boutique components. I just don't see it, unless I am building it for cost-no-object personal use. Even at cost-no-object, I couldn't imagine going over maybe $3000 for a DIY amp.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I agree completely. Rather, high-end components is one thing, but here we are talking about boutique components. I just don't see it, unless I am building it for cost-no-object personal use. Even at cost-no-object, I couldn't imagine going over maybe $3000 for a DIY amp.
DIY amplifiers in this class get expensive quickly, because onesy-twosy parts costs are ridiculous (those big smoothing caps might cost you $50 each), and if you want professional results, like the DIY speaker guys get, then you'll want multi-layer, two-sided PCBs and a custom chassis just like Moon. It wouldn't surprise me at all if building just one - and only one - of these Moon amps DIY cost over $50K, and that's assuming you could design it yourself. (I suspect chassis and board costs would swamp everything else.) Hmmm... DIY amp or kitchen remodel... I think I'd rather go appliance shopping. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Assuming your referring to the Emotiva XPR-1 as being overpriced, I think you are greatly mistaken. A monoblock of this caliber would easily sell for $5k if it wasn't sold direct and had a fancier nameplate.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Assuming your referring to the Emotiva XPR-1 as being overpriced, I think you are greatly mistaken. A monoblock of this caliber would easily sell for $5k if it wasn't sold direct and had a fancier nameplate.
I'm sorrry Gene... trying to figure out the relationship between the Emotiva you referenced and the Moon's price being silly.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Its a gorgeous amp and the build quality is definately there but 22K is way to steep. However, people buy this stuff because they can and want the bragging rights.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You misunderstood my meaning. The Emo is a great price for the specs!

The Moon on the other hand is over-priced.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
DIY amplifiers in this class get expensive quickly, because onesy-twosy parts costs are ridiculous (those big smoothing caps might cost you $50 each), and if you want professional results, like the DIY speaker guys get, then you'll want multi-layer, two-sided PCBs and a custom chassis just like Moon. It wouldn't surprise me at all if building just one - and only one - of these Moon amps DIY cost over $50K, and that's assuming you could design it yourself. (I suspect chassis and board costs would swamp everything else.) Hmmm... DIY amp or kitchen remodel... I think I'd rather go appliance shopping. :)
I'm not suggesting building an exact clone of the 870A.

I'm suggesting building DIY that could match it in PERFORMANCE. I'm not worried about aesthetics, so any $ that would go to that can go out the window. Also, when you go the DIY route, you often re-purpose parts from old electronics and old projects, so that saves $ too (granted, I did say "cost no object" in my first post).

There are many amplifier schematics/plans available, so take that $ out of the equation too.

What I'm saying is that $22K is silly-expensive. I bet a DIY could achieve "as good" performance for 10-20% of the cost of this Moon.

Edit:
On a side note, looking at the Moon site, I see a few interesting items:
*This is a "no overall feedback" topology
*I'm curious as to why they used BJTs on the outputs instead of MOSFETs?
*Output impedance <0.01ohm :eek: wowza! :eek:
*S/N is "only" 106dB???
*Teflon-insulated wiring--NICE! What a luxury.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis