Onkyo Zone 2 Problem

R

rjkirk

Audiophyte
I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR508 AV receiver. I have it setup with cable TV and a DVD changer inputs and HDMI output to a Sharp LCD HD TV. I have speakers in the main listening area and in zone 2 which is the deck. I can listen to FM in the main area and/or in zone 2, that is, I can have zone 2 on independent of the main area, even with the main receiver section turned off. However I have not been able to get the dvd/cd player output to zone 2. If I have cd's playing in the main area and FM (Tuner selected) playing in zone2 and press Zone2/BD/DVD, the sound in zone 2 simply goes off. I am pretty well baffled why I can listen to either FM or cd's (or dvd's) in the main area, but can only listen to FM in zone 2. Can anyone help?

The current setup is:

The TV cable box output is connected to the receiver's HDMI 3 (the default connection). MY Onkyo DB-CP706 DVD changer is hooked up to HDMI 1 which is, again, the default. HDMI out goes to the TV. All hookups are HDMI. The mian speakers are connected to Front Speaker Right and Left. Zone 2 speakers are connected to Front High or Zone 2 Speakers (right and left).

The HDMI settings (Setup/1. HDMI Input) are at the defaut values of BD/DVD - HDMI1, VCR/DVR -HDMI2, CBL/SAT - HDMI 3.

The HDMI Setup (menu selection 10 in setup) is Audio TV Out - Auto, HDMI Control - On, HDMI Control (HIHD) - On, Audio Return Ch (ARC) - Auto, Power Control - On, TV Conrol - On.

The pertinent Hardware settings are Speaker Type – Normal (Not Bi-AMP), Front High/Zone 2 – Zone 2.

That, as Carly Simon would say, is the way I've alway heard it should be.

Rich

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR508 AV receiver. I have it setup with cable TV and a DVD changer inputs and HDMI output to a Sharp LCD HD TV. I have speakers in the main listening area and in zone 2 which is the deck. I can listen to FM in the main area and/or in zone 2, that is, I can have zone 2 on independent of the main area, even with the main receiver section turned off. However I have not been able to get the dvd/cd player output to zone 2. If I have cd's playing in the main area and FM (Tuner selected) playing in zone2 and press Zone2/BD/DVD, the sound in zone 2 simply goes off. I am pretty well baffled why I can listen to either FM or cd's (or dvd's) in the main area, but can only listen to FM in zone 2. Can anyone help?

The current setup is:

The TV cable box output is connected to the receiver's HDMI 3 (the default connection). MY Onkyo DB-CP706 DVD changer is hooked up to HDMI 1 which is, again, the default. HDMI out goes to the TV. All hookups are HDMI. The mian speakers are connected to Front Speaker Right and Left. Zone 2 speakers are connected to Front High or Zone 2 Speakers (right and left).

The HDMI settings (Setup/1. HDMI Input) are at the defaut values of BD/DVD - HDMI1, VCR/DVR -HDMI2, CBL/SAT - HDMI 3.

The HDMI Setup (menu selection 10 in setup) is Audio TV Out - Auto, HDMI Control - On, HDMI Control (HIHD) - On, Audio Return Ch (ARC) - Auto, Power Control - On, TV Conrol - On.

The pertinent Hardware settings are Speaker Type – Normal (Not Bi-AMP), Front High/Zone 2 – Zone 2.

That, as Carly Simon would say, is the way I've alway heard it should be.

Rich
I have not checked your manual, but a lot of receivers only pass analog to zone 2 nothing from digital inputs like HDMI.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
That's exactly the reason. Any sources you want to play in Zone 2 must be connected to the receiver with stero RCA cables (they can be in addtion to the HDMI).

R

rjkirk

Audiophyte
Thank you very much. Yes, that was the problem. Everything is working great now. To satisfy myself on why I did not see this in the manual, I looked for this info. The only way I found it was by a word search in the PDF version I downloaded. It was in one very small note. Thanks again,

Rich

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis