G

gilmore

Audiophyte
I have an onkyo tx sr702 7.1 channel 100 watt per channel X 7 unit. When I listen to the radio / cd 2 way front speakers only it seems like I have to crank the volume very high to get serious loud sound out of my speakers. It gets loud but only when cranking up the volume which is unlike my ADCOM 100 watt amp which starts getting loud 1/3 of the way. Is this normal for this unit?

Last edited:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I have an onkyo tx sr702 7.1 channel 100 watt per channel X 7 unit. When I listen to the radio / cd 2 way front speakers only it seems like I have to crank the volume very high to get serious loud sound out of my speakers. It gets loud but only when cranking up the volume which is unlike my ADCOM 100 watt amp which starts getting loud 1/3 of the way. Is this normal for this unit?
You posted this in the wrong forum(PC/media servers), which is perhaps one reason why no one is answering.

Without more information, my inclination is: If it plays loud, it plays loud. It doesn't matter what the volume indicator reads.

Having said that: what does the Onkyo volume indicator read at a reasonable volume?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Gilmore,

The previous poster was correct -- you should move this (or admins should) to the RECEIVER/PRE PRO section.

To answer your question, this is a very typical Onkyo concern -- what you need to do is go into the receiver's "INTELLI VOLUME" settings (it's under the setup menu's SOURCE SETUP section) and raise that value to, say, "+10dB" for the given input you're using (CD player, DVD player, etc.).

This IntelliVolume control is on Onkyo and Integra units, and it's really meant to be used as a "signal level matching" device, where you can "balance" all the input signals coming through the receiver so they're not louder or lower than one another. However, most owners use it like a power amp's "input sensitivity gain control" whereby you can "jack up" the output of a connected device so it seems louder at a lower volume. Hence, I suggest a level of +10dB, but don't really go higher (it maxes out on +12dB on Onkyos).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis