Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver and stereo audio output question

L

LaP

Enthusiast
Hi!

I just bought an Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver. It works well and has all the features i want. But there's something i am not able to do with it and this is a feature i really wanted.

When i listen to TV or play video games (mainly NHL 2008) at night when the house is sleeping (i'm a night bird and rarely go to bed before midnight) i use my wireless headphone. I could use the headphone output but it is in front of the receiver and turn off the speakers so i need to plug and unplug it each time. Since i almost use it each night of the weeks at this time of the year (it's cold here at winter) and since the headphone is wireless i would like to connect it to the back of the receiver inside a stereo output so i would not need to unplug it each time.

Problem is i can't find a way to do this with the TX-SR605. Zone 2 doesn't work since the input must be analog and all my stuffs are connected via digital. That is kinda stupid imo and makes Zone 2 useless. Even for music this is useless as i use my DVD reader to listen to CD (or my PC for mp3) and the DVD reader and my PC of course are connected using digital optical and coax output.

So i wonder if there is a way to output the sound of the TX-SR605 to an analog stereo output other than the front headphone output ? I really expected this receiver to have at least one analog stereo output on the back converting digital to analog so i could connect my wireless headphone using rca audio cables and enable it using a simple button from the remote.

So TX-SR605 owners if there's a way to do this please tell me.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The tape outs and the audio outs of the video inputs are active at all times but like zone 2 will not convert digital to analog. If the signal arrives in a digital format it will be sent out the optical out and if it arrives in analog format it will be sent out the tape outs and video outs. Most receivers work that way because they would need an additional set of DACS to do it otherwise and that would add to the cost.

Even if you did use one of those outputs, you would not have volume control and the main speakers would still play. The headphone out is really your only choice.

As an alternative you could probably use the variable audio outs of the TV.

L

LaP

Enthusiast
I don't need volume control as my headphone has volume control on them. In fact i prefer fixed volume so i can control the volume using the headphone only.

I don't have any digital output on the SR605 so anyway even if i could buy a digital to analog converter it would not work.

Well i guess my only hope is like you said to enable HDMI sound output and use the analog output of my TV (i can set my TV to output fixed volume).

My DVD reader, cable box and console are all pluged using HDMI either directly in the TV or in the receiver so that's cool.

My headphone has 2 inputs so i'll connect the TV and PC directly into it. Will just need to buy a spliter for my PC sound card.

Thx for the answer.

L

LaP

Enthusiast
Houston we have a problem.

God when i enable HDMI out the receiver can't output 5.1 sound anymore i can only use Pro Logic or DTS Neo.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Then you are getting a 2 channel signal. The player should be set to output bitstream if it is connected to the receiver.

L

LaP

Enthusiast
Bah i think i'll use the headphone output instead. I will have an ungly cable in front of my receiver and i'll need to unplug it each time but it will be less complicated this way.

T

tcm5

Audioholic Intern
I use a 2nd zone in my kitchen. I have got around this problem by running additional analog cables (besides the optical) from my DVD player (Don't know if you can do this from your video game). This allows 5.1 (from Comcast Box) while wathcing TV in the family room and music in the kitchen (DVD Player).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis