onkyo tx-nr709 vs processor and amp

S

ssaeed

Audiophyte
hi guys,

I have an Onkyo TX-NR709 in my HT setup currently driving some fairly old Klipsch mid tier speakers. Just purchased the Paradigm Studio 60 and Center Channel 590 and using a pair or Paradigm micro monitors as my rear surrounds.

I was wondering how the Onkyo would compare to say a separate Processor/Amp combo such as an Emotiva UPA-7 or Outlaw 7125 with an Integra Processor DHC 40.2 or similar?

The Onkyo is full of features, I'm just wondering if the amp in it is up to par for driving the paradigms?

R

RegeG

Audiophyte
Why not try the 709 with the Paradigms? If needed, you can always add an amplifier at a latter date.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Welcome to the forum ssaeed.

The 709 will drive the Paradigms just fine in most situations. It really comes down to how large your room is and how high a volume level you are trying to push. It is THX select + certified so it is rated to reference level SPL's with medium sized rooms (2000 cubic feet).

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
The 709 has preouts so you can always use it as a preamp and upgrade to an external amp if the 709 doesn't power the Paradigms well enough for your tastes.

You can also offload just some of the amplification duties; get a stereo amp to power the main l/r and let the Onkyo handle center and surround.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
92 db means you can get 113 db at 1 meter with the Onkyo. 105 is THX peak reference. As long as you are within 3 meters you are golden. That being said externally amping the front 3 channels will likely extend the life of your receiver. Heat kills electronics and an Emotiva XPA-3 will run much cooler on your fronts.

I recommend external amplification to extend the life of electronics and reduce the heat load in a theater room. Sound quality isn't helped much, but a solid 3 channel amp should last you a while.

S

ssaeed

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the input guys, super helpful forum!

So the audio quality of the Onkyo 709 should be OK it sounds like. Guess I'll save my money and put it towards a better sub :rolleyes:

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Guess I'll save my money and put it towards a better sub :rolleyes:
Definitely. A quality sub is far more important than the receiver IMO. The 609 was benched test and it did very well into 5 and 7 channels. The 709 has an even beefier amp section.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis