Onkyo TX-NR626 - Is it possible to use separate HDMI sources for video and audio?

E

ergalthema

Audioholic Intern
I would like to use the Chromecast (Backdrop) for video to my TV and switch between different audio sources (like my PS3 and the "NET" source in the receiver for streaming audio) while keeping the Chromecast video on the TV (TV only has 1 HDMI input).

Do you know if it is possible with the TX-NR626?

I know I can start with the Chromecast HDMI source and then switch to PHONO and keep the Chromecast video, but that's for the audio-only, analog phono input.

Edit: from the manual, the closest example requires that the video be turned off in the settings for the audio source. So, for the PS3, it seems like I could not watch the PS3 video until I go back to settings and turn video back on for that source. I'm probably asking too much of the receiver, but it would be great to have independent control of audio and video from within the same receiver. I used to run all video separately from audio, and I kind of miss that flexibility.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I know I can start with the Chromecast HDMI source and then switch to PHONO and keep the Chromecast video, but that's for the audio-only, analog phono input.
This tells me it should work with any analog input. If the PS3 has analog outputs in addition to the digital, connect them to the receiver. Since this isn’t possible with the Net sources, you’re probably out of luck there.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis