ONKYO TX-NR515/NR616 vs. VSX-1122-K

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
I'm looking at the 515 or 616. I know these haven't hit the streets yet but the specs are on the Onkyo website.

My question is, besides THX certification and a few more watts of power, is there any difference between the two models.

Next comes the big question, which would be a better receiver, the Pioneer VSX-1122-K or the Onkyo TX-NR616 since they cost the same right now at $599 each.

I'm still looking for previews of the Onkyo equipment as I'm leaning in that direction in an attempt to future proof due to the video output.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
I strongly recommend you get the Pioneer VSX 1121 being sold out for $450 now vs the 1122. The 1121 is 30lbs and has the amp of the Elite models that run $800-$1,000. The new 1122 is now a 22lb unit similar to the VSX models below it with a much more modest power supply. New Egg has the 1121 for $450

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
PS......THX Certification not a buying factor....kind of like "deluxe" on products years ago. Mfgs pay a small fee to use the rating on their products which are the same as other products without the tag...

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
That is good to know information. I already pre-ordered the Onkyo TX-NR515 from NewEgg. It has the features I think I will be able to live with for the next 10 years (hoping it lasts that long). I also purchased a pair of bookshelf speakers (Polk Monitor II) and a matching center speaker. This will be a major step up from my puny home theater speakers in a box thing. The sub I have is beefy and actually sounds good so it will stay. I'll use my current cheap surrounds to fill in the rear channels (only doing 5.1) and likely replace those with another pair of the Polk speakers once I have tested everything out, seen the Polk speakers and figured out how to mount those on a stand for the rears. My current stands will never handle the weight.

Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to report how the Onkyo turns out.

I agree with the THX comment.

T

therick83

Audiophyte
I am looking for a receiver to run 2+ zones for a den and backdoor patio area. Which of these would you recommend?

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
Well the Onkyo Rocks! So far I've performed a generic installation and it sounds nice. I'm in the process of upgrading the firmware. WARNING ! This takes a very long time. I've been waiting for 20 minutes already at I'm at 53%. The download was fast, it's the actual internal update that is killing me. Hopefully I don't have to repeat the setup again.

The Onkyo has a single zone 2. I will play with that more over the weekend just to see how flexible it is or isn't. The manual is very lengthy and trying to figure everything out from it hurts my eyes and brain.

I'm not a high quality audio/video guy in the sense that I have to tweak and tweak until some meter says I'm flat but I try to obtain a flat response and do what I can to get an original type sound and video as well. I'm a bit more anal with the video and will calibrate it as best I can with my Sound & Vision DVD. If someone doesn't beat me to the punch I will write a first hand review on how the features work. Reviewing the sound quality is not fair since everyone has different speakers and room layouts. Video and features should be easy.

Cheers, time to go see if the update is done yet :eek:

C

CedarPark

Audiophyte
Not 4K input

Note that although the Onkyo can upscale the output to 4K, it doesn't accept any input resolutions higher than 1080p, so it really isn't future-proof.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well the Onkyo Rocks! So far I've performed a generic installation and it sounds nice. I'm in the process of upgrading the firmware. WARNING ! This takes a very long time. I've been waiting for 20 minutes already at I'm at 53%. The download was fast, it's the actual internal update that is killing me. Hopefully I don't have to repeat the setup again.

The Onkyo has a single zone 2. I will play with that more over the weekend just to see how flexible it is or isn't. The manual is very lengthy and trying to figure everything out from it hurts my eyes and brain.

I'm not a high quality audio/video guy in the sense that I have to tweak and tweak until some meter says I'm flat but I try to obtain a flat response and do what I can to get an original type sound and video as well. I'm a bit more anal with the video and will calibrate it as best I can with my Sound & Vision DVD. If someone doesn't beat me to the punch I will write a first hand review on how the features work. Reviewing the sound quality is not fair since everyone has different speakers and room layouts. Video and features should be easy.

Cheers, time to go see if the update is done yet :eek:
Does it run hot? or does it have a fan?

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
Does it run hot? or does it have a fan?
No fan that I can see, does not run hot. It's very well ventilated (slots on the top). My cabinet has an open front and lots of open room above and below. My IR Thermometer says it's ~115F (ambient air temp 72F) and that is just running 5 speakers at a moderate listening level for TV. So it's warm to the touch but not hot. I'm sure if I were blasting music it would jump up some but that gives you an idea.

As for future proof, I'm hoping that if the output is capable of 4K that a firmware update will make the inputs 4K compatible later. To be honest, I'm so old that 4K will doubtfully ever be something I must have but I'm certain you young kids will have it in about 10+ years as standard stuff.

As for how this receiver functions, it's pretty nice. My wife hates it from the perspective that she now has to turn on the receiver in order to hear the speakers. My DirecTv remote doesn't turn it on when you press the "On" power button. There might be a work around to make that function but I doubt it, short of leaving the receiver on all the time.

One thing I don't like is I am unable to relabel the inputs. I'd like to change GAME to DVR2 and change CBL/SAT to DVR1, but mostly just change GAME.

One problem I had this morning was when I tried to turn it on this morning using the remote the audio functioned but there was no video on my TV. I had to turn off the receiver using the front panel switch and then turn back on. It was like it rebooted saying "ONKYO" and then the picture was restored. Not sure what happened there at all. If it occurs again I will report it.

vTuner isn't that great. Selecting stations and memorizing them as a favorite doesn't seem to work well. I need to spend more time with this which is one of the problems, it should just work without much effort. The audio stream quality isn't the best, a comment from my teenage daughter which shocked me, but I fully agree. This has nothing to do with the receiver, it's the service.

Pandora [free] streaming sounds very good. I haven't listened to over 30 minutes of it yet but I will soon to see if it stops playing after a period of time as I expect. All the music appears to have the Thumbs Up automatically selected but I'm hoping it is just a GUI error. Signing up my account was easy except the comma and period are right next to each other on the TV and they look identical. I recommend using the front panel display as it's very clear to read the characters.

When you select "NET" on the remote or front panel, the last network stream that was playing will automatically start up, very nice feature.

The FM tuner is nice and sensitive as it was pulling in radio stations that most other receivers in my house and car cannot pull in.

Setting up the video and other setting is not that easy. I've seen much better GUI's. To be honest, I found a menu on changing the video settings (brightness, color, etc...) but damn if I can find it again. Again, time to read the manual.

Speaking of the manual, it's so large it's a pdf on a CD. No printed manual which doesn't work for me as my computer resided in one room, the A/V equipment in another. I ended up printing out the entire manual and using the pdf to search for things, write down the page number, then when I'm futzing with the receiver I can just thumb to the page I need. Wish they provided a printed manual.

The automatic speaker tuning appeared to be accurate enough for me. I did the quick single location setup but will redo everything using the three spot calibration and then tweak down the surrounds just a little as my wife doesn't really care for them so much. Hopefully I can figure out how to save two different settings so I can enjoy the surrounds when watching a movie when she is gone. My family room is not a home theater layout so this is why the surrounds are not great for every seat in the room.

I do believe this receiver is worth the money and would do it again. I can't wait to play around with the Zone2 settings as I'm looking to add a set of speakers outside on my deck. The Android Application works well so far as I only briefly used it but I'm hoping it can control Zone2 as that will make it really a functional item. Who wants to buy another remote and fire it into a window or run an IR blaster? Not me.

This is not a full review of the product, just a few observations.

H

honeymonster

Enthusiast
I am also in the market for a network receiver in this price range, have been considering the benefits of Onkyo TX-NR616 over 515, as far I can see the 616 has 165 watts power per channel, THX Select2 certification and has multiroom audio output to Zone 2 (amplified) and zones 3 (not amplified). Not sure I would benefit in my 20' x 14' listening room, so I think I'll go with the Onkyo TX-NR515 :D

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
You can download the users manual online but until you get a few hours to play with it, setting it up can be a pain.

I'm not fond of the remote control that came with it (buttons too hard to read) however it does control my BluRay player and DirecTv tuner. I may wake up my harmony remote to see if that helps things out.

And I still recommend the 515 for sure. Once everything is setup I recommend writing down all your settings. I don't know if a firmware update could erase things but I would hate life if I had to start from scratch again.

R

rambler

Audiophyte
Nr616

I've been watching the Onkyo NR616 to see when it was available and it now is.
I have a pioneer vsx-53tx that has performed flawlessly since it was new. I also used to be a avid reader of Stereo Review. So now the technology has changed to where I feel I need to spend more money to get the sound produced from the movie studio rather then the only input I have from blu-ray which is Fiber optic.
I don't really use the video connection to my receiver as I believe the more connections that have to be made the more room for image error. Now comes HDMI which forces me to use the receiver to send/receive video signal. I have my Blu-ray player connected directly to my projector via HDMI cable 40ft. I need the two HDMI out connections for my flat panel and projector.
Any suggestions or alternative ways of achieving the A/V connections suggested receivers to look at ect.......
Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis