Onkyo TSXR604 / PS3 Help please!!!!

V

vjliberto

Audiophyte
First, i'm a novice. Just got a TSXR604 amp, Klipsch Quintet III speakers with 10" sub and Playstation 3 for Xmas. After getting everything setup (but b4 PS3) i noticed that i have to turn up the amp to prob 3/4 of the way (between 60-70 on display) up to get a decent output thru the speakers. I guess i expected that the amp was really powerful compared to these small speakers and it would really get loud. I want to make sure this is normal and i didn't hook something up wrong?

My second problem, and this is a biggie, is when i try to hook up the PS3. As soon as i either plug in one of the (3) A/V plugs or if i use the HDMI i get a overwelming HUMM. If i turn the amp down to like 1/2 way (about 50 on display) the HUMM goes away, but the volume is so low that i can barely here the game or movie i try playing. If i plug the PS3 into like my digital cable boxes aux input instead, the HUMM is fainter but it's still there.

Can anyone give me some advice on what my problem may be? Is this amp just not powerful enough to run my speakers and since i have to turn it up so loud is this causing all of my problems?? Thanks in advance.

aglozier

aglozier

Audiophyte
vjliberto said:
My second problem, and this is a biggie, is when i try to hook up the PS3. As soon as i either plug in one of the (3) A/V plugs or if i use the HDMI i get a overwelming HUMM. If i turn the amp down to like 1/2 way (about 50 on display) the HUMM goes away, but the volume is so low that i can barely here the game or movie i try playing. If i plug the PS3 into like my digital cable boxes aux input instead, the HUMM is fainter but it's still there.

Can anyone give me some advice on what my problem may be? Is this amp just not powerful enough to run my speakers and since i have to turn it up so loud is this causing all of my problems?? Thanks in advance.
I also have an Onkyo 604 and had a HUMM problem. In my case the Humm was caused by a "ground loop" (see http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/). A ground loop occurs when two or more devices are connected to a common ground through different paths. In my case the two grounds were the electrical power ground (three prong power plugs) and the cable TV cable ground. Audio and video cables completed the loop by connecting my cable box through my receiver to my HDTV (which had a three prong plug). I cured the problem by using a three prong to two prong power plug adapter. This disconnected the electrical power ground from my system and "broke" the ground loop.

You can test for a ground loop by disconnecting cables/plugs and listening for the HUMM to stop. In my case disconnecting the CATV cable OR unplugging my HDTV from the power stopped the HUMM.

George

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis