Onkyo SR 706 / Exhaust Fan

M

mblanco2000

Audioholic Intern
Well I have an enclosed cabinet w/ the Onkyo SR 706. Currently I just have been leaving the glass door open to keep the enclosure vented. The other day I picked up a 110V exhaust fan that moves 68 CFM.

I was just planning to attach a male plug to the fan and plug it into the back of the receiver so it would only come on when the receiver was on. However, today when I went to go do the work and looked at the back of the unit it did not have the female AC outlet like I have seen on older units I have had in the past. So now I am looking for recommendations. I also tried looking at other devices I could hook fan up to, but no luck. Can someone give me some help so I can get my cabinet door shut and my wife happy?

Thanks.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Return the AC fan if possible and purchase a 12v DC fan. You can run the fan off the 12v trigger for the second zone if you aren't using the second zone for anything. You can just activate the second zone when you want the fan to come on, and deactivate the second zone when you want it off. Note: you will always need to turn the zone on and off, regardless of whether the receiver is "on". The second zone runs independantly from the regular receiver functions.

M

mblanco2000

Audioholic Intern
Scholling which one did you buy from these guys? I was suprised to see how pricey these units were.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Scholling which one did you buy from these guys? I was suprised to see how pricey these units were.
Sorry I posted the wrong link. Those had built in fans.

I used this cooler guys fixed temperature switch because it's all they had available at the time.
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086611.html
http://www.coolerguys.com/htaccessories.html

I don't remember for sure if I had to buy a power brick so I'd contact them before ordering and find out what all you need. I'm using mine with a very quiet 120mm computer case fan and a silicone fan vibration absorber. My only complaint is the fan does come on at a lower temp than I would like - but it's a $14 controller. They do have adjustable versions available now and you could probably set one of those a bit higher. The important thing to me was using a 12v near silent fan. I didn't want a 120v fan coming on while I'm gone just for fire hazard reasons and this cabinet is in my bedroom and quiet counts.

I'm using this 33cfm fan but if it's not in a bedroom you could go with more powerful or even two.

Here you can barely see the bottom of the fan just above and behind my receiver and the temperature probe to the right.

Last edited:
M

mblanco2000

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help. What is the temp range that you would like to be able for the fans to come on? I believe that they are defaulted to come on at 87 and turn off @ 81. For $14 more dollars I do not have a problem getting the extra temp control unit, but would like to know the range you would set it at if you had the option.

The cabinet that I am trying to keep cool is fairly small, and only has a Motorola Cable/DVR box and the Onkyo receiver. The true dimensionsons of the cabinet are 19"Wx24"Hx17"D. I have eliminated my search down to these two fan units, or at least I think I have.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082231.html
This one has the three 120 mm fans, but it might be overkill.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086352.html
This one has the two 120 mm fans, and an integrated temp. control

On both units each fan is rated as moving 47 cfm, and by my calculations the cabinet is only about 4.5 cubic feet.

Thanks for the help.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the help. What is the temp range that you would like to be able for the fans to come on? I believe that they are defaulted to come on at 87 and turn off @ 81. For $14 more dollars I do not have a problem getting the extra temp control unit, but would like to know the range you would set it at if you had the option.
My reasons for wanting it to come on higher are based on where I live. During the summer it can hit 110 or more here and I set the AC for 90 when if I leave for the day. That means when I'm gone for the day/weekend that the cabinet fan is running even when the receiver is off (which is why I want 12v - no fire hazard if the fan baring freezes up). Depending on your habits or where you live the preset temperature may not be an issue for you.

The cabinet that I am trying to keep cool is fairly small, and only has a Motorola Cable/DVR box and the Onkyo receiver. The true dimensionsons of the cabinet are 19"Wx24"Hx17"D. I have eliminated my search down to these two fan units, or at least I think I have.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082231.html
This one has the three 120 mm fans, but it might be overkill.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086352.html
This one has the two 120 mm fans, and an integrated temp. control

On both units each fan is rated as moving 47 cfm, and by my calculations the cabinet is only about 4.5 cubic feet.

Thanks for the help.
I can't help all that much with your fan choice. I just went with a super quiet (8.7db) 120mm computer fan because I only had 2 cuft to deal with. It's so quiet that I have to look inside the cabinet to tell if it's on. Perhaps someone that's cooled larger cabinets can help. Or contact coolerguys.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Return the AC fan if possible and purchase a 12v DC fan. You can run the fan off the 12v trigger for the second zone if you aren't using the second zone for anything. You can just activate the second zone when you want the fan to come on, and deactivate the second zone when you want it off. Note: you will always need to turn the zone on and off, regardless of whether the receiver is "on". The second zone runs independantly from the regular receiver functions.
I would caution that one should check the current consumption available through trigger out, some of the 12V trigger circuits are quite low..

Just my $0.00.. ;)

L

LesE

Audiophyte
I use a smart power strip to turn on my fans. My AVR plugs into the master outlet and the fans plug into the slave outlet so the fans turn on and off with the AVR. I have an NR1007 and an XPA-3 and since the 1007 lacks a zone 1 trigger, I also use the smart strip to power a 12V wall wart which turns on my amp at the same time. Works like a charm.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis