Onkyo SC885P or Emo UMC-1

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
I found a decent deal on a refurb. Onkyo how would it compare with the new UMC-1 ?

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
The Onkyo exists. The UMC-1 is vaporware.
I recall that the term "Vaporware" was originally applied to products that were announced and never came into production, as in further development and ultimately production efforts were eventually dropped.

The UMC-1 is still in development has not been dropped. It's just taking longer than some folk's command of patience appears to allow.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I recall that the term "Vaporware" was originally applied to products that were announced and never came into production, as in further development and ultimately production efforts were eventually dropped.

The UMC-1 is still in development has not been dropped. It's just taking longer than some folk's command of patience appears to allow.
Arguing with a cat ninja. What has this world come too. I like Onkyo and would buy their products over the emo. Though I would consider a 906 or 876 instead. You get all the features with a very nice amp section.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
Arguing with a cat ninja. What has this world come too. I like Onkyo and would buy their products over the emo. Though I would consider a 906 or 876 instead. You get all the features with a very nice amp section.
I was looking at the 906 but since I have a nice amp already all I need is a good Pre / pro. Thanks

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Count me in that number. I started waiting for the UMC-1 back in 2007. I got the Integra processor in late 2008 because it actually existed. Fast forward to mid-2009 and we're still waiting for the UMC-1. At this point, the Onkyo/Integra is an established product while the UMC-1 is still untried, untested and unavailable.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
Count me in that number. I started waiting for the UMC-1 back in 2007. I got the Integra processor in late 2008 because it actually existed. Fast forward to mid-2009 and we're still waiting for the UMC-1. At this point, the Onkyo/Integra is an established product while the UMC-1 is still untried, untested and unavailable.
while I have time to wait. The Onkyo sounds like it has a decent following. I have always liked Onkyo and have a 777 driving my AT1505 amp right now. Just want to make sure I get a decent Pre.Pro and I can get a reburb Onkyo for 800 and 2 years warranty.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
While reading reviews about the Onkyo At the end under cons it says you can not over ride the 4:3 stretch version to normal 4:3 if I am reading it right. Can some one with the unit tell how the unit plays the 4:3. IT is normal or messed up? I am new to the wide screen TVs but do want to watch movies as natural as possible. Thanks

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
While reading reviews about the Onkyo At the end under cons it says you can not over ride the 4:3 stretch version to normal 4:3 if I am reading it right. Can some one with the unit tell how the unit plays the 4:3. IT is normal or messed up? I am new to the wide screen TVs but do want to watch movies as natural as possible. Thanks
I finally had a chance to play with the format settings a bit. I toggled between the Auto, Pass Through and 1080p output formats to note the differences. Using my sat. box, the Integra sets the proper 4:3 and full screen HD formats properly in all three settings.

The one area of difficulty I found was using the OSD of my Fireball. It only sends a 480i signal that can be formatted for 4:3 or 16:9. When the VP is set to 1080p or auto, it displays the signal in full screen, regardless of whether the output is set to 4:3 or 16:9. In this case, when I chose 4:3 output in the Fireball, the image is stretched out to full screen and looks odd. If I choose the 16:9, the image takes the full screen and looks normal. On the other hand, if I set the Integra to pass through, it always displays the image in 4:3. In this case, it's the 4:3 setting that looks normal and the 16:9 player setting that looks squished to fit the 4:3 format.

I would say that for normal viewing and toggling between SD and HD channels on a STB, you won't have a format problem using the auto, pass through or 1080p output settings. If you were to use a legacy source (standard DVD, VHS, etc.), you would be able to adjust the format to suit your needs by adjusting the output resolution of the processor. This is not to mention the viewing options available by your display, like zoom, stretch or full screen modes. I didn't adjust my TV's mode at all while I checked out the various formats. I had it in native resolution the whole time.

Any more questions or clarifications, let me know. I'd be happy to answer or clarify anything else you need to know.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
Fair enough. I decided to write Onkyo off after the M-282 I bought froze up 2 months after the warranty expired and Onkyo told me it would cost about $250 to repair the speaker protection circuit. Let's see, new M-282 = $199.

Given my ability to put off gratification, I am willing to wait for the UMC-1. Had I been waiting as long as you have waited, and I really needed a new pre/pro, I would have bought something else. For me, the Rotel RSP-1066 will do fine until Emotiva releases their offering and I will be happy to spend 1/3 of what it would cost to "upgrade" the Rotel.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input. I have used Onkyo for 15 years and on model 777 now, with out any problems. It just does not have the sound nor guts needed I am looking for with my XT$4 B&W speakers. I am using an AT1501 amp which I picked up very cheap with the 777 outputs till I can find the right prepro. I can wait a month or 3 and see where emo is at that time but I don't want to wait a year like some on here I need something now. I have not upgrade in about 10 years and am half way to getting this one done. I need the Pre pro and the Sub will be last as my veleo is still working fine.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
Well I went a head and ordered the Onkyo pre/pro wed. it arrived today. Now for the fun set up time, this has a lot more to it compared to the 777 I have been using, I will actually have to read the manual to get the best out of it. Thanks for the feedback.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats. I'm sure you'll love it. It has a ton of features and capability. If you have questions, post 'em up. There's a few of us with that unit that will be more than happy to help.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
The Onkyo PR-SC885P (& PR-SC886P) are #1, period!

Two weeks ago, the Onkyo PR-SC885P was selling for $529!, at Onkyo own shopping web site.

Balanced outputs for all channels, balanced inputs for 2-channel, Audyssey MultEQ XT, THX Ultra2, HQV Reon-VX50 video processor, TI PCM-1796a Dacs for all channels, toroidal transformer, separate power supply for video and audio, gold plated jacks all around, great remote control, good ergonomics, great build with top grade parts, VLSC for all channels, and much more...

Anybody knows what you have to pay to even come close to that?

Emo UMC-1 (non-existent) or any other surround processor by any other manufacturer are not even in the same playing field with their feature's list below the 885 and prices way above the 885.

The 885P (or 886P) are in a class of their own, same as all the Emotiva amps, period! They cannot be touch performance and value wise.

Bob

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
I wish I had seen that price, I paid a bit more then that. still good. But then no matter what you buy it will come up somewhere/time cheaper. One thing I don't like so far is this new remote. I had my old 777 well broken in. I think it is time for a new all in one like the Harmony One maybe? Sunday I will get it set up with my AT1505 amp and try out the setup.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I wish I had seen that price, I paid a bit more then that. still good. But then no matter what you buy it will come up somewhere/time cheaper. One thing I don't like so far is this new remote. I had my old 777 well broken in. I think it is time for a new all in one like the Harmony One maybe? Sunday I will get it set up with my AT1505 amp and try out the setup.

Yep, prices always fluctuate.

The remote with some use is not bad at all, but a Logitech Harmony is mucho better, it's true.
I use the Harmony 550 (only $50 on sale), and it is fantastic.
But the Harmony ONE is the cadillac of remotes, except for RF frequencies (through walls). You'll be very happy with the Harmony ONE. I'm sure that you can get it for a good discount, and it will be the last remote you'll ever purchase.

Happy Setup, :)

Bob

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've got a couple of Harmony remotes, but I use the remote that came with the 9.8 almost exclusively, same remote as the Onkyo you have. Once you get your other devices programmed into the remote, it's very simple to use. With the learning function, you can program pretty much any function to any button. The macro functions are easy to program too. For me, the stock remote is better than the Harmony in most cases but is limited to the number of devices you can control.

B

Birdman84

Enthusiast
I've got a couple of Harmony remotes, but I use the remote that came with the 9.8 almost exclusively, same remote as the Onkyo you have. Once you get your other devices programmed into the remote, it's very simple to use. With the learning function, you can program pretty much any function to any button. The macro functions are easy to program too. For me, the stock remote is better than the Harmony in most cases but is limited to the number of devices you can control.
I tried programming my Motorola cable box into and it will not take it tried the code in the book and Manual it will not take.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis