R

rabbit_ears

Audioholic Intern
Are the two words synonymous or should i be worried.
I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR805 less than a month ago and so far its only been running a pair of bookshelf speakers (Angstrom Module 2's); not exactly a huge load. I bought the 805 because the 705 was sold out and the price was pretty good. I wanted the video scaling and switching features and will be using the receiver to drive in ceiling speakers in a second zone in a couple months.
however last night the display on the front panel went black. i tried the dimmer, switching audio modes (even though i knew i wasn't in pure audio mode). then i decided to do a factory reset as recommended in the manual. oops now i can't use it at all because i lost all my settings and without the video set up i have no OSD.
the store that i purchased it from is going to send me a new 805. my question is should i just return for refund and get something more reliable or should this be treated as an isolated event?? just my luck to get a dud.

F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
most likely a dud I'd give it a second chance

if it turns bad again report back for some Onkyo bashing

Good Luck!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This is the first I have heard of a malfunctioning TX-SR805. Be sure that when you hook your new one up that the cables are not shorted anywhere.:) You may also want to check your AC voltage and contact Onkyo to be sure the TX-SR805 will work correctly with that voltage. You may need to borrow a voltage meter from someone you know to get a reading from the outlet you are using for the receiver.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
This is the first I have heard of a malfunctioning TX-SR805. Be sure that when you hook your new one up that the cables are not shorted anywhere.:) You may also want to check your AC voltage and contact Onkyo to be sure the TX-SR805 will work correctly with that voltage. You may need to borrow a voltage meter from someone you know to get a reading from the outlet you are using for the receiver.
hey seth whats your take on voltage regulators? worth the buck?

S

sammyhd

Audiophyte
Are the two words synonymous or should i be worried.
I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR805 less than a month ago and so far its only been running a pair of bookshelf speakers (Angstrom Module 2's); not exactly a huge load. I bought the 805 because the 705 was sold out and the price was pretty good. I wanted the video scaling and switching features and will be using the receiver to drive in ceiling speakers in a second zone in a couple months.
however last night the display on the front panel went black. i tried the dimmer, switching audio modes (even though i knew i wasn't in pure audio mode). then i decided to do a factory reset as recommended in the manual. oops now i can't use it at all because i lost all my settings and without the video set up i have no OSD.
the store that i purchased it from is going to send me a new 805. my question is should i just return for refund and get something more reliable or should this be treated as an isolated event?? just my luck to get a dud.
Hi to all, first post here! Exactly the same thing happened to me last week, display died. I've had onkyo receivers for many years and this is the first time a have a problem. Anyway the store replaced it without asking. I'm a happy camper again :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've had onkyo receivers for many years and this
is the first time a have a problem.
That's my experience too except that I have yet to have an Onkyo fail. My old TX-SV525 is now over 11 years old and running strong in the garage at my sister's house. I'd chalk it up to an isolated incident. Every brand will have a dud or two from time to time, after all they make millions of them.

I bought my sister a Krupps digital toaster oven for christmas. It's the same one I have and mine has been fine for a year now. The LCD display went out on hers in two weeks. Does that mean Krupps is unreliable? I don't think so...just a faulty lcd panel. It happens.

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
oops now i can't use it at all because i lost all my settings and without the video set up i have no OSD.

Are you using HDMI ? Push the HDMI button under the face plate or remote and see if works ... the last two pages (troubleshooting) on the manual might help .

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
That's my experience too except that I have yet to have an Onkyo fail. My old TX-SV525 is now over 11 years old and running strong in the garage at my sister's house. I'd chalk it up to an isolated incident. Every brand will have a dud or two from time to time, after all they make millions of them.

I bought my sister a Krupps digital toaster oven for christmas. It's the same one I have and mine has been fine for a year now. The LCD display went out on hers in two weeks. Does that mean Krupps is unreliable? I don't think so...just a faulty lcd panel. It happens.

Very good point.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
My Onkyo CD changer has been operating without even the most trivial of glitches for over four years now. That is pretty impressive for something with so many moving parts.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I own an Onkyo TX-SR601 besides my Denon, and in five years, it has never given me any trouble. If I don't go separates such as Emotiva for my next build, I will probably return to Onkyo, even though my Denon is a good product.

S

simmons225

Audioholic Intern
Are you using HDMI ? Push the HDMI button under the face plate or remote and see if works ... the last two pages (troubleshooting) on the manual might help .
HEY rico how do your speakers sound I have the same 5.1 bic acoustech speakers and Im using a kenwood vr6060 receiver now and I just bought the onkyo 805 it's on it's way

R

rabbit_ears

Audioholic Intern
No i didn't try that Rico. i just packed it up and am waiting for the new one to arrive (supposedly in the next couple days). for right now i'll just run satellite and DVD direct through the panel.
i appreciate all the encouraging words that lead me to hope that i won't have any problems with the second receiver. 'cause shipping charges of sending defective units back is quickly eating away my savings:(.

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
HEY rico how do your speakers sound I have the same 5.1 bic acoustech speakers and Im using a kenwood vr6060 receiver now and I just bought the onkyo 805 it's on it's way
First of all, they're my first setup ... so far, totally love the thing man ... :p
A good friend of mine has the Yammy 661 AVR, wich was my first pick and, last weekend I've decide to try the Yammy with my speakers and see if I could pick any diference ..... well, we were 6 people and all 6 agreed that the Onkyo sounded better, and after run the Audyssey MultEQ(R) XT was another history. All I'm saying is, no regrets buying the onkyo at all. Let me know what you think once you get yours. :)

P.S. Yes, I know the Onkyo 'Should' sound better, its a beefier receiver after all.Otherwise, I'd be really pissed.

No i didn't try that Rico. i just packed it up and am waiting for the new one to arrive (supposedly in the next couple days). for right now i'll just run satellite and DVD direct through the panel.
i appreciate all the encouraging words that lead me to hope that i won't have any problems with the second receiver. 'cause shipping charges of sending defective units back is quickly eating away my savings:(.
Okay, I think when I first got mine, I had the same issue, and that helped.
At least you know if happen again :)

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
I went to Fry's today. Put my hand on top of an 805 that was on standby, and it was warmer than a 705 that was on. The 805 sells for $700. The 705 sells for $800.

S

sammyhd

Audiophyte
I went to Fry's today. Put my hand on top of an 805 that was on standby, and it was warmer than a 705 that was on. The 805 sells for $700. The 705 sells for $800.
Problably it was on before you got there who knows, my 805 runs warm when operating but in stand-by it is very cool to the touch. Not a hint of heat.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The TX-SR805 has more balls than the TX-SR705.:D

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Something seems backwards about those prices......:D

Anyway, I'll join my voice to the chorus, I've had a few Onkyo products, currently the 705, before that the 605, and an older CD changer that's been through quite a bit of abuse and all have worked flawlessly.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Onky 605

I am building a home theater piece by peice, and I chose the Onky over the yammy 661 because the yammy might be fine, but I couldn't tell these people to buy old technology (661 has HDMI 1.2), so its a 605 :cool:.

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
Problably it was on before you got there who knows, my 805 runs warm when operating but in stand-by it is very cool to the touch. Not a hint of heat.
Same here, even when its on duty.Its hot, but not crazy hot, my DVR gets as hot as hell sometimes, and the old HTiB too .... but anyway, I'm working on build myself a rack and I will try put a fan or do something else to protect the components .. :D

About prices, I've seen the 705 on sale a bunch of times as well, on accessories4less.com sells for $529.99, its out of stock now but should be back shortly. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis