Onkyo receiver MultEQ problem

L

Lee33

Enthusiast
When I first got the Onkyo TX NR808 I set it up, used the speaker balance feature (MultEQ) and all went well. A Few days ago I decided to get the rear speakers off the floor and mount them on the ceiling. The distance from the floor and ceiling position to the main viewing position did not change, just the height. That should not have made a difference in the spk balance but I ran the 808 Audyssey set-up procedure again anyway. It finished the sound test and told me there was an "error" in the front left speaker reading. I retested and got the same answer. I unplugged the mic wire, restarted the 808 and ran the test a their time. Same reading. As nothing has changed from the first setup to this one as far as the main front speakers I'm at a loss. Does anyone know how to fix this?

FWIW, we watched a Blu-ray movie last night and the audio was fine. Front spk worked normally.

Thanks, Lee

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
When I first got the Onkyo TX NR808 I set it up, used the speaker balance feature (MultEQ) and all went well. A Few days ago I decided to get the rear speakers off the floor and mount them on the ceiling. The distance from the floor and ceiling position to the main viewing position did not change, just the height. That should not have made a difference in the spk balance but I ran the 808 Audyssey set-up procedure again anyway. It finished the sound test and told me there was an "error" in the front left speaker reading. I retested and got the same answer. I unplugged the mic wire, restarted the 808 and ran the test a their time. Same reading. As nothing has changed from the first setup to this one as far as the main front speakers I'm at a loss. Does anyone know how to fix this?

FWIW, we watched a Blu-ray movie last night and the audio was fine. Front spk worked normally.

Thanks, Lee
Double check your phasing on the speakers you moved and then also search here. http://ask.audyssey.com/home

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There are distance limitations for the surrounds, rear surrounds, and subwoofer that are relative to the front speakers. Moving the speakers higher did change the distance so it's possible that is the reason for the error.

If it is not easy to reposition the speakers now mounted to the ceiling, try moving the front speakers forward and re-run Audyssey. If the error is gone, then the distance is the problem.

L

Lee33

Enthusiast
Jeff,

Thanks for the link. I'll keep that around for further info.

Per the phasing, I did not touch the front spks, just the 2 rear. I will check it but would reversed phasing on a rear speaker affect the front speakers?

MDS,

I checked the distance from all speakers (5.1 setup) to the main listening position and, as luck would have it, they are all within 6 inches of 9 feet away from my chair. When setting it up the first time I just eye-balled the distance so i got lucky.

Per moving the speakers. Unfortunately that's out. THe front are 6 ft tall and weight over 100 lbs each. They come in three sections and are put together in place. I could move the rear but it would be a bear as they are now mounted. Gad, I hope it's not a distance problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis