Onkyo Receiver Fried? (TX-SR806) -- please help

A

andrewcoffin

Audiophyte
I've had an Onkyo TX-SR806 since August of '09. I purchased it refurbished directly from Onkyo. The receiver has been great--I love(d) it.

However, I moved to a new home this week and tried to get our home theater set up last night. After connecting everything exactly (or almost exactly--I'll come back to this) as I had before, I had everything up and running for a few minutes...then, I pulled the receiver out from the shelf to reverse two speakers (the rear surround left and right were reversed), I hear a snap and hiss/crackle and smell smoke and then receiver shuts down. It smelled like an actual fire (not just hot electronics), but I can't see any burn marks on the outside of the unit.

Now the receiver's red power light flashes constantly when plugged in. If I turn it on it stays on for a second or two, then the screen flashes and the unit shuts down.

Apparently I am out of warranty--new Onkyo units have a two year warranty, but refurbs only a year.

So I have two questions for anyone willing to help:

1) Is there anything that can be done for the receiver at this point? Should I try getting it to a repair center? (The nearest Onkyo repair center is in Simi Valley, about an hour away from me.) Anyone done this before and know what the cost might be? Anything I can try at home?

2) If I buy a new receiver, I'd like to get some idea what caused the problem before hooking it up. My basic setup is Sony Blu-ray player, DirecTV DVR, Xbox 360, and AppleTV running into receiver via HDMI, with HDMI out to Sony LCD. My speakers are as follows (and here is where the new variable comes in):

Front & Center: Sony SS-K series, with a Sony sub
Rear Surrounds: in wall speakers that were in the house already--I don't know much about them
Second room: similar (identical?) in wall speakers

So is it likely/possible that some problem with the in-wall wiring of these in-wall speakers caused the receiver to short out? Or is it more likely that the short was caused by me jostling the receiver as I pulled it out of the entertainment center? What are the likely culprits for this sort of thing?

Finally, somewhat off topic...The Sony STR-DA3500ES is really cheap right now on Amazon ($500 through Vanns). Any quick opinions on this receiver? I wouldn't spend $1000 on it, but for a quick replacement, it seems like a decent option, and comes with a 5-year warranty. Not thrilled about spending another $700-$800 on an Onkyo.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've had an Onkyo TX-SR806 since August of '09. I purchased it refurbished directly from Onkyo. The receiver has been great--I love(d) it.

However, I moved to a new home this week and tried to get our home theater set up last night. After connecting everything exactly (or almost exactly--I'll come back to this) as I had before, I had everything up and running for a few minutes...then, I pulled the receiver out from the shelf to reverse two speakers (the rear surround left and right were reversed), I hear a snap and hiss/crackle and smell smoke and then receiver shuts down. It smelled like an actual fire (not just hot electronics), but I can't see any burn marks on the outside of the unit.

Now the receiver's red power light flashes constantly when plugged in. If I turn it on it stays on for a second or two, then the screen flashes and the unit shuts down.

Apparently I am out of warranty--new Onkyo units have a two year warranty, but refurbs only a year.

1) Is there anything that can be done for the receiver at this point? Should I try getting it to a repair center? (The nearest Onkyo repair center is in Simi Valley, about an hour away from me.) Anyone done this before and know what the cost might be? Anything I can try at home?

2) If I buy a new receiver, I'd like to get some idea what caused the problem before hooking it up. My basic setup is Sony Blu-ray player, DirecTV DVR, Xbox 360, and AppleTV running into receiver via HDMI, with HDMI out to Sony LCD. My speakers are as follows (and here is where the new variable comes in):

Rear Surrounds: in wall speakers that were in the house already--I don't know much about them

So is it likely/possible that some problem with the in-wall wiring of these in-wall speakers caused the receiver to short out? Or is it more likely that the short was caused by me jostling the receiver as I pulled it out of the entertainment center? What are the likely culprits for this sort of thing?

Finally, somewhat off topic...The Sony STR-DA3500ES is really cheap right now on Amazon ($500 through Vanns). Any quick opinions on this receiver? I wouldn't spend $1000 on it, but for a quick replacement, it seems like a decent option, and comes with a 5-year warranty. Not thrilled about spending another $700-$800 on an Onkyo.
You caused it, by changing leads, especially the speaker leads, with the unit on.

Hiss crackle and smoke are very bad omens. There is nothing you can do and the unit is likely to be not worth the trouble to fix. If the unit cost less than $500 don't bother taking it to a service center. Recycle it. If it cost more than $500 it is may be worth getting an estimate.

However you stressed that unit severely and you may well have further problems related to this incident even after a large repair bill.

Next time take more care. Turn units off before switching cables ESPECIALLY SPEAKER LEADS.

This episode would have voided any warranty, as the manufacturer had no hand in this.

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
Sorry about your luck with your unit.....
I am looking for a new receiver myself.... I am wondering if you would be willing to possibly sell your broken unit to me if you decide not to repair as I am interested in repairing a unit instead of buying new (to save money!....) let me know.. thanks!!! also if you have any questions related to reparing these things LMK.... While I do not repair receivers as a biz I do work on lots of other types of electronics often...
Thanks!\
Dan

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

The Onkyo service center in Simi Valley is Northridge Electronics, they are very capable but I would strongly suggest that you check closely the in-wall speaker wiring..
It appears you have a major short..
And if not corrected then it may blow another AVR..

Virtually all AVRs have sensitive protection against shorts..
However if there is a direct short and the AVR's volume control is turned up high it is possible to blow an output device.

Just my $0.02... ;)

A

andrewcoffin

Audiophyte
Sorry about your luck with your unit.....
I am looking for a new receiver myself.... I am wondering if you would be willing to possibly sell your broken unit to me if you decide not to repair as I am interested in repairing a unit instead of buying new (to save money!....) let me know.. thanks!!! also if you have any questions related to reparing these things LMK.... While I do not repair receivers as a biz I do work on lots of other types of electronics often...
Thanks!\
Dan
I did purchase a new receiver, so I'm open to selling you the damaged unit. I have the box, remote, calibration mic, documentation, etc. -- everything that came with the receiver originally.

I also opened up the Onkyo and peered inside. I can't see anything amiss. Despite the serious sound/smell when the short took place, there's no visible burn damage--the unit looks pristine.

I have a friend who's a more serious hobbyist than me and is also an electrical engineer, so he may take a look at it at some point... but what would you be willing to offer for the Onkyo?

Andrew

A

andrewcoffin

Audiophyte
The Onkyo service center in Simi Valley is Northridge Electronics, they are very capable but I would strongly suggest that you check closely the in-wall speaker wiring..
It appears you have a major short..
And if not corrected then it may blow another AVR..

Virtually all AVRs have sensitive protection against shorts..
However if there is a direct short and the AVR's volume control is turned up high it is possible to blow an output device.

Just my $0.02... ;)
Thanks. I'm going to do exactly that this weekend--I've got a friend with some experience in this sort of thing. Clearly should have brought him in to start with, before I started plugging random wires into a $1k receiver!

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Sorry for your loss there buddy, but switching the wires like that shouldn't have fried the receiver. I hve a feeling you may have had + to - contact.

Maybe I've been lucky, Im guilty of doing that myself once of twice. I will never do it again.

Good luck with your new receiver. and share your story with others, to help prevent this from happing to someone else.

A

andrewcoffin

Audiophyte
I'll report back after the testing this weekend. I may never know exactly what caused the problem, but I should know soon if there's a problem with the in-wall wiring.

I bought the 3500es from Amazon as a replacement. I actually like it quite a bit--it's not as big and beefy as the Onkyo, but it's got a more refined interface and runs much, much cooler than the 806. Operation is quieter too--the Onkyo always made loud "clicks" when switching between inputs or resolutions. Don't get me wrong, the Onkyo is a great receiver, and I probably took a step back in some ways.

The sound of the Sony is not bad at all to my ears, though. I may end up running the front channels off of a B & K amp from a friend, which should give me plenty of power.

A

andrewcoffin

Audiophyte
Agreed, not worth the effort to repair it.

For the trouble and expense I would just buy this one.

Just out of curiosity, what was the price at this link? It appears to be dead now...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's a little late for this now but, in the future, keep in mind the #2 rule of this hobby: Always power everything down when kerfutzing with wiring.

FWIW, #1 is: If it sounds bad, turn it down NOW!!!

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
How is the unit physically? is it in decent shape?
Ill poke around to see about a price...

A

andrewcoffin

Audiophyte
How is the unit physically? is it in decent shape?
Ill poke around to see about a price...
It's in perfect shape physically. It's been on one shelf for the entire time I've owned it, aside from the recent move. No dings or scratches...

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
Would anyone like me to document to repair of this receiver? I can show pics and what it takes to do a repair of this type...

A

andrewcoffin

Audiophyte
For those interested, here's a quick update on several fronts:

1. The problem SEEMS to have been faulty in-wall wiring. The front room speakers run through a wall box volume control, but the wires were crossed (positive with positive, negative with negative). I obviously should not have connected the wires a) without checking the wiring and b) while the receiver was on...

2. Madman66 above bought my damaged Onkyo to attempt repairs--and I wish him luck!

3. I tried the Sony STR-DA3500es. No go. Thankfully, Vann's has a good return policy. There seemed to be a problem with the HDMI board, but beyond that, Sony's calibration system is a pale imitation of Audyssey and came up with very different results every time a ran the set-up. (I will say that Sony's on screen menus are very attractive and easy to use.) The results produced muddy 5.1 mixes and what seemed to me to be very poorly managed bass (compared to my old Onkyo). I've ordered the Onkyo 708 as a replacement--which seems to have an impressive feature set, solid reviews, and I hear runs cooler than my old massively hot 806.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
For those interested, here's a quick update on several fronts:

1. The problem SEEMS to have been faulty in-wall wiring. The front room speakers run through a wall box volume control, but the wires were crossed (positive with positive, negative with negative). I obviously should not have connected the wires a) without checking the wiring and b) while the receiver was on...

2. Madman66 above bought my damaged Onkyo to attempt repairs--and I wish him luck!

3. I tried the Sony STR-DA3500es. No go. Thankfully, Vann's has a good return policy. There seemed to be a problem with the HDMI board, but beyond that, Sony's calibration system is a pale imitation of Audyssey and came up with very different results every time a ran the set-up. (I will say that Sony's on screen menus are very attractive and easy to use.) The results produced muddy 5.1 mixes and what seemed to me to be very poorly managed bass (compared to my old Onkyo). I've ordered the Onkyo 708 as a replacement--which seems to have an impressive feature set, solid reviews, and I hear runs cooler than my old massively hot 806.
Thanks for the follow up.

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
I received the unit today and it is in perfect shape! like new!

Whatever happened blew the right front channel... so far two parts... I'll dig into it tomorrow night and order the parts friday... I'll take some pics as soon as I start... The unit is up and running right now (without the defective output and everything else is working great!)

Andrew... Thanks again! Time for a master reset!

BTW I just picked up a defective 3310CI... I'll do that next... I have a feeling its gonna be more labor judging from the service manual... also to note.... Denon service manuals are FAR superior to Onkyo's.....

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
phresh follow up fellas!!!

a+ interneting!!

I look forward to the pics and following the repair.

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
Everything went well with the repair.. I am testing the repaired channel as I type... I will post the exact parts + cost this weekend and throw up some pics....
here is a shot of the amp section.... you can see I removed parts from one channel to test the damaged one..... (it was the right surround)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis