Onkyo receiver, Def Tech speakers: Searching for the perfect setup

T

tcoble33

Audiophyte
I'm putting together my HT system and am getting ready to pull the trigger on the following components:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3007

Front speakers: Definitive Technology BP7002

Surrounds: Definitive Technology BPX

Center: Definitive Technology C/L/R2500

I plan on using the Onkyo's Audyssey system to calibrate everything for my room's acoustics, etc., but I need some advice on the basic connection and configuration options that this particular combination of components enables.

For example, the C/L/R2500 center channel speaker has connections for separate low, mid and high inputs, so I'd like to figure out if and how I can take advantage of this given the outputs that the Onkyo provides. I'm also interested in recommendations for configuring the integrated powered subs in the front and center speakers - specifically in terms of wiring connections, crossover configurations, etc. Finally, what are my best options for doing things like bi-amping any of the speakers?

It's been quite a few years since my last A/V component purchase and my first time setting up a system at this level. Naturally, I want to get the most out of the equipment so I'm trying to learn all I can. I realize that it's difficult to speak to the finer points of specific equipment combinations, but I'd greatly appreciate any insights from anyone who's familiar with these components or comparable equipment.

Thanks in advance!

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Just use 12-16 guage speaker wire only (and the jumpers provided) set the towers to small and cross at 40Hz (when set to large the bass becomes muddy) and the center to small and 50Hz. Many of us have tried multiple options and the easiest is the best, plain speaker wire only and let the speakers internal crossover do what it was best designed for.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Matthew, do you happen to have a Denon receiver?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I have a Denon 3808 in my 7.1 master bedroom system and a Denon 4802R in my office/guest room system. My Onkyo 805 drives my main system.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I should mention Denon 3808 with outboard six channel amp drives a full 7.1 Acoustic Research Phantom series system, my Denon 4802 with outboard stereo amp drives my AV123 Strata Minis and my Onkyo with three outboard stereo amps drives my full DefTech 7.1 system

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I was just asking because I recently got a Denon AVR-1910 and can see why you would set the mains to small and crossed over at 40 hz. But with my yamaha receivers, I don't have the ablility to set different crossover points for different speakers, so if I have small surround speakers and I leave the crossover set to 40 hz. that also affects the surrounds which can't/shouldn't really handle 40hz. So reccomending everyone use a small setting with 40 hz. crossover point may not always be the best solution, but if your receiver allows you to set crossover points for each set of speakers then yes that would be the way to go. I'm not familiar with Onkyo receiver's so I can't comment on those. But for my main system and my bedroom system whose front speakers are both def tech towers with powered subwoofers in them, I leave them set to large, and the crossover set to 80 hz. since my surrounds can't handle much lower than that.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Onkyo and Denon recievers allow for different crossovers for each channel (which is a huge benefit for those of us who have mismatched speakers. My main system has DefTech BP7001s (mains) a CLR2002 (center) crossed at 95Hz to my Prosub 800 for center duty only (crossed at 40Hz) DT Studio 450's (crossed at 70Hz) and Mythos gems (crossed at 120Hz) to my SVS NSD 12/2 with such a conglomerate of speakers all with a huge varience in what they can hanlde on the low end, I had to get a reciever that allowed different crossovers.

Now since my center couldn't match the depth of the mains I added a seperate "mini sub" that easily got down to 40Hz before dropping off, so that it could match with my mains (crossed at 40Hz) so I could get a universal panning on the front soundstage. I didnt want to have to upgrade my center to the LCR3000 for 1,000 when I could eaily buy the Prosub brand new for 225.00 I talked with Chet at DT who said actually using the LCR2002 with the smaller mid ranges would bring me tighter mid range than the centers with 6.5" drivers and since I was adding a prosub to handle everything below 95Hz that I would get the best of both worlds, tight mid bass with the prosub, tight mid range with the 5.25" drivers and of course universal bass up front and my SVS handling everything in the back of the room. The BP7001s sound very muddy when set to Large, hence why i cross them at 40Hz and the bass tightened up and was very clean and my SVS handles the real lwo end stuff, so I get overall tight bass throughout the room, using some inguinity and precise placement.

I would hate to have a speaker that only allowed one universal crossover, for the very reason you have and by having rear channel speakers that can't handle the low end, hinders sound quality far too much for me, by allowing seperate crossovers for each channel is worth the upgrade to me.

Enjoy your Denon, they make great recievers, I still use my 4802R daily and the sound quality is just short of amazing, even though an 8 year old reciever it matches my 805 and 3808 in sound quality.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not even using my denon on my main system, but since the front channels on both my main and bedroom system are all matched, meaning they all have the same size built in subs in all 3 speakers, and the surround back speakers in my main system are full range towers, I don't really need to set separate crossover points for each speaker. I know not everyone will be in that same situation though. But I would like the ability to set them to small and crossed over at 40 hz. like you have, just to hear the difference. Right now my crossover is set at 80 hz. so that's as low as I want the BP1.2x and my BP2x in the main system to play, everything else is set to large.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis