Onkyo is dead, again.. Time for a new brand

thejknight

thejknight

Audioholic Intern
So my Onkyo tx-nr807 is dead for a 2nd time with a HDMI board failure. I decided that I am now done with Onkyo's new stuff. Even the newer ones seem to be dying as well.

I have never considered any other receiver brands so its back to square 1. I was hoping for some recommendations on other brands / models that will do or have the following and have better reputations for longevity than the Onkyo's:

100-140 WPC X 5 channels
preferably 2 sub pre outs
5-6 HDMI inputs
Network connectivity (wifi preferred but wired is fine)
Primary use would be movies and TV

In case its relevant, this will be driving a set of HSU Horn speakers and center and a pair of VTF3 MK3 subs.

Ideally I would like to keep the price around $500 (used gear would be OK too)

Suggestions?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't have a recommendation for you but am curious. Is it out of warranty? Have you complained to Onkyo?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So my Onkyo tx-nr807 is dead for a 2nd time with a HDMI board failure. I decided that I am now done with Onkyo's new stuff. Even the newer ones seem to be dying as well.

I have never considered any other receiver brands so its back to square 1. I was hoping for some recommendations on other brands / models that will do or have the following and have better reputations for longevity than the Onkyo's:

100-140 WPC X 5 channels
preferably 2 sub pre outs
5-6 HDMI inputs
Network connectivity (wifi preferred but wired is fine)
Primary use would be movies and TV

In case its relevant, this will be driving a set of HSU Horn speakers and center and a pair of VTF3 MK3 subs.

Ideally I would like to keep the price around $500 (used gear would be OK too)

Suggestions?
I'm sorry to hear that. If you think you could live without Auddsessy, I suggest you try Yamaha. Their reliability is tops in the industry IHO and they are very customer friendly; certainly head shoulders above Onkyo's. I still receive prompt replies from them regarding my older RX-V1800 receiver.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would call around to Electronics Expo, OneCall, Vanns, etc, and see if anyone has a new Denon 3312 for $600 or new 3313 for $750.

Yes, I'm still in a very economical conservative mood. :D

My 3312 has performed superbly for me, and it was an open-box item from Amazon (open-box gets 3 yr warranty).

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
^^^

Also, conisder searching eBay.
OneCall loves to list a few B-Stock units. I bought my Yamaha AV820 this way.
It was clearly new.
They had 3 units before I bought mine and 3 units after ;)

- Rich

thejknight

thejknight

Audioholic Intern
I would call around to Electronics Expo, OneCall, Vanns, etc, and see if anyone has a new Denon 3312 for $600 or new 3313 for $750.

Yes, I'm still in a very economical conservative mood. :D

My 3312 has performed superbly for me, and it was an open-box item from Amazon (open-box gets 3 yr warranty).
A4Less has a refurbed Denon for $600, and idea what was killing them to supply the refurb market?

thejknight

thejknight

Audioholic Intern
I don't have a recommendation for you but am curious. Is it out of warranty? Have you complained to Onkyo?
Unfortunately its out of warranty. I am sure I could complain to them and they would fix it but that might take months (based on others experiences). At this point I am done with them. On a plus side, a few 90's Onkyo pieces I have are still ticking along (some better than others but its nice to see they once made good stuff).

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
A4Less has a refurbed Denon for $600, and idea what was killing them to supply the refurb market?
Sometimes new product is sold as refurbs for a better price point that does not directly compete with a-stock.

- Rich

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Well heres my 2 cents. DONT BUY ONKYO!! Ive had 4 Onkyos and 3 of them have blown up and 1 twice!! I too am done with Onkyo and have switched to Denon. I have the 4311 which, thus far, is a great A/V receiver/preamp. Now Im just trying to match some good speakers with it.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a Pioneer brand loyalist and recommend them. My Elite VSX-92 has been driving my main HT since 2006. I have a low end Pioneer receiver in my bedroom HT and an Elite integrated amp driving the stereo system in my workout room. They've been outstanding for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a friend who is a custom installer. He hates using Onkyo too because he has to replace them more often, which makes him look BAD!

He told me one time his team had to replace THREE Onkyo AVR for the same client! His client insisted on Onkyo because it was cheap. The client finally gave in and agreed on Pioneer. :D

Pretty much the WORD around most forums is to stick with Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Sony for reliability. Onkyo seems to have the most bashing. Harman Kardon and NAD arguably come in second in regards to reliability, at least from a year ago.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty much the WORD around most forums is to stick with Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Sony for reliability. Onkyo seems to have the most bashing. Harman Kardon and NAD arguably come in second in regards to reliability, at least from a year ago.
Sony? Are we talking AVR's?
(I am actually asking without sarcasm, etc. I am unfamiliar with Sony's HT/Audio offerings?)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I have a friend who is a custom installer. He hates using Onkyo too because he has to replace them more often, which makes him look BAD!

He told me one time his team had to replace THREE Onkyo AVR for the same client! His client insisted on Onkyo because it was cheap. The client finally gave in and agreed on Pioneer. :D

We have been an AV installer and member of CEDIA for many years..
Our most reliable AVR brand we install is Yamaha, also we use quite a few Integra AVRs as well..
The primary point of Integra and Onkyo AVRs are that they biased high as to minimize X-over distortion so their heat output @ idle is quite high, so one has to provide adequate free-air clearance of @ least 3-4" for the L/R sides and top..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Reliability's not the issue w/ Sony AVR's. My HK AVR 247 is going out. I just went to Fry's and bought an Onkyo TX-NR616. Maybe I should've upped my budget for a Denon or Pioneer Elite.

Fry's doesn't sell Marantz. :(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Reliability's not the issue w/ Sony AVR's. My HK AVR 247 is going out. I just went to Fry's and bought an Onkyo TX-NR616. Maybe I should've upped my budget for a Denon or Pioneer Elite.
The Force is NOT w/ you on the Onkyo. :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's not too late to take it back and get something nicer. I've never had a problem with any Yamaha AVR I've owned, and so far my Denon's have been rock solid too.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
FWIW, I have had two Onkyo receivers and no issues, knock on wood. HT-RC160 and currently I use a TX-NR809

Actually bought a Denon 3312 and just recently sold it because I like the Onkyo UI much better.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
It's not too late to take it back and get something nicer. I've never had a problem with any Yamaha AVR I've owned, and so far my Denon's have been rock solid too.
Yamaha? It's not Sony, but aren't Yammies a bit err..umm...harsh?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis