Onkyo Dolby Atmos AV Receivers: Which one do you want?

Is the lack of Audyssey a deal breaker for you?

• Yes. Bring Back Audyssey

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, I don't use room correction EQ anyways.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Onkyo Dolby Atmos A/V Receiver Comparison Guide

With no less than five A/V receivers supporting Dolby Atmos, Onkyo leads the pack in terms of adopting the new audio format. Audioholics takes a look at the TX-NR636 ($699), TX-NR737 ($899), TX-NR838 ($1,199), TX-NR1030 ($1,699), and the TX-NR3030 ($2,399) to help consumers figure out which model might be right for them. We also discuss Onkyo's adoption of their AccuEQ room correction system, as well as their HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 rollout.

Which Onkyo AV Receiver with Dolby Atmos do you want?

Last edited:
dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
Whats amazing is the lying and deception in this market today.

My example is I was at Fry's Electronics the other day with the wife. Decided I'd try to show my wife the difference between the new LCD's and OLED (surprisingly not a futile attempt with her).

While there and fixing the TV's from their nasty torch mode, the sales guy butted into the convo between me and my wife as I was explaining to her the common issues with these new TV's (fake HDMI 2.0, LCD motion issues, edge lighting compared to FALD). He seemed irritated that I was telling her these TV's (and receivers too) only have one or the other when it comes to full hdmi 2.0 certification or HDCP 2.2 for future blurays. He even brought his manager over as he could see other people were stopping and listening to us banter back and forth on how *I* was wrong and didn't understand. That the TV's and receivers would work "fine" with everything. I went on a tiraid about everything from HDMI 2.0 labeling, to hdmi cables, and speaker cable snake oil. At the end the manager asked if I was going to buy a TV and if not, If I could leave.

These stores are out there selling these TV's, AVR's and such to people and just gloss over the important details/issues that may arise a year from now. Crazy how the uninformed get taken advantage of. Just proves that we on here and AVSforums are in the minority.

Lets hope 2015 is the year of OLED, real HDMI 2.0/2.2 compliance in one chip, and the end of edge lit LED. I'll settle for having FALD for a little while longer.

Lastly, seeing these receivers and stuff from Denon, makes me wonder how many 4k bluray players are going to come with dual hdmi out? One for the receiver and one to pass the hdcp2.2 content straight to the TV. Guess you could always use a splitter.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I'd go for the 1030. One feature of the 1030 not mentioned in the write up is that it offers balanced outputs for the front R/L outputs, a feature i have not yet seen in a receiver. This would be a nice feature for me, as I am using a Krell amp for those channels and could enjoy the balanced connection.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No Onkyo for me. :)

They screwed up big time IMO by omitting Audyssey.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go for the 1030. One feature of the 1030 not mentioned in the write up is that it offers balanced outputs for the front R/L outputs, a feature i have not yet seen in a receiver. This would be a nice feature for me, as I am using a Krell amp for those channels and could enjoy the balanced connection.
Then should it not include one for the center as well? Doesn't make sense to me to have just the mains. For music yes, but when using the rest of the channels, I want the center to have matched power to the mains.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Then should it not include one for the center as well? Doesn't make sense to me to have just the mains. For music yes, but when using the rest of the channels, I want the center to have matched power to the mains.
Yes, it would be nice if the center channel had a balanced connection as well, but I guess you can't have everything in a receiver and that's why the have pre/pros as well. Regarding having "matched" power for the mains and center, I don't think there would be a problem in that regard. And you can set the levels of each channel independently.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For an AVR to have XLR at all is already a good thing, but if I was after XLR, then I'd almost certainly be looking pre/pro at that point. I realize it is a cost and real estate factor and they likely borrowed the bits on the Onkyo from the Integra line to do it in the first place and I'm not faulting them for it. When I say balanced power, I am not referring to level matching, I am referring to having on tap the same amount of total power for each of the three front speakers. That may be a bit of overkill for average listening, but I want it for critical listening.

As to the original thread question do I need Audessey? I think it is most definitely a good thing...but I can live without it. I DO use room correction, but I also often bypass it for music, so it isn't a necessity in my book. I was FAR more impressed with DIRAC compared to Audessey.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis