Onkyo A-9010 or NAD C316bee

M

mahikhan

Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a better amp to drive my speakers (Pioneer SP-BS22-LR) and headphones (Possibly Hifiman HE-400i) and also use them as a DAC. I've narrowed down my choices to two items:

1- NAD C316bee
2- Onkyo A-9010

Now, my questions are:

1- Which one do you think is a better amp overall?
2- Which one do you think is a better headphone amp & DAC?
3- Are they better than some inexpensive headphone amps like Fiio ones?
4- If I want to upgrade to something like Tannoy Revolution XT6F or Monitor Audio Silver RX6, which one is a better choice?

Thanks in advance

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a better amp to drive my speakers (Pioneer SP-BS22-LR) and headphones (Possibly Hifiman HE-400i) and also use them as a DAC. I've narrowed down my choices to two items:

1- NAD C316bee
2- Onkyo A-9010

Now, my questions are:

1- Which one do you think is a better amp overall?
2- Which one do you think is a better headphone amp & DAC?
3- Are they better than some inexpensive headphone amps like Fiio ones?
4- If I want to upgrade to something like Tannoy Revolution XT6F or Monitor Audio Silver RX6, which one is a better choice?

Thanks in advance
The Onkyo is a better value for the price. It has a decent DAC and a separate headphone amp built in. In a small room is should be okay with the Monitor Audio Silver but not in a larger room. The NAD costs more and offers less, no DAC, and likely has a weaker power supply (educated guess based on published specs only).

M

mahikhan

Enthusiast
@PENG & @surveyor
Thanks you for your replies.

I've got another question:
My music library is on my laptop. So I should be able to connect A-9010 to my laptop. But My Lenovo Z00 only has USB port and headphone jack. How should I connect A-9010 to my laptop to be able to use its DAC and Amp?

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what are you upgrading from, what are you currently using? I'm wondering if upgrading speakers rather than amplification may be a better route....

M

mahikhan

Enthusiast
Curious, what are you upgrading from, what are you currently using? I'm wondering if upgrading speakers rather than amplification may be a better route....
Thanks for your reply!

I currently use a Lepai LP-2020A+ and I have no external DAC. I think getting something like A-9010 that seems like a better amp and has a DAC and a headphone amp, would be a real upgrade for me.

I like Pioneer's sound (I only wish it had cleaner bass) and I like to use it for a year before upgrading to something more expensive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your reply!

I currently use a Lepai LP-2020A+ and I have no external DAC. I think getting something like A-9010 that seems like a better amp and has a DAC and a headphone amp, would be a real upgrade for me.

I like Pioneer's sound (I only wish it had cleaner bass) and I like to use it for a year before upgrading to something more expensive.
Only issue I have with integrated amps is usually they lack bass management for integration of subs, prefer the feature set of an avr for that reason (plus multi-ch sound, more apps and more connectivity, too), and the pricing on avr is better IMO than the integrated amps. I've got one of those Lepais, but just for fun in my case, have it set up in a spare room to play with, they're decent little units albeit limited. Since you've got a speaker upgrade in mind anyways I can see the attraction for the additional functionality via electronics for now....

M

mahikhan

Enthusiast
@PENG & @surveyor
Thanks you for your replies.

I've got another question:
My music library is on my laptop. So I should be able to connect A-9010 to my laptop. But My Lenovo Z00 only has USB port and headphone jack. How should I connect A-9010 to my laptop to be able to use its DAC and Amp?

Thanks
Any idea?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Any idea?
That may be tough, I can't think of a simple solution. You can bitstream to the Onkyo's via the digital coax input but your laptop does not seem to have the ability to do it.

M

mahikhan

Enthusiast
That may be tough, I can't think of a simple solution. You can bitstream to the Onkyo's via the digital coax input but your laptop does not seem to have the ability to do it.
:(
That's disappointing! Why they don't put a simple USB port in their amps? NAD D3020 has a USB port, but it's too expensive.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's disappointing! Why they don't put a simple USB port in their amps? NAD D3020 has a USB port, but it's too expensive.
Be careful, just because it has a USB port does not mean you can use the unit's internal DAC for streaming and music from your computer. Sometimes they provide the port for playing files on USB flash drives, or iPod etc.

I am not sure it this device linked below can work.
https://www.amazon.com/Fanmusic-FM6011-Coxial-Converter-Digital/dp/B00A2QJK5I

Also, read this article: http://www.musicservertips.com/how-to-articles/set-up-music-server-home/
and see if you can find a solution.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Have you considered one of N series Yamaha integrated units. Network playback and USB input for PC, Ipod, flash drive, etc. On board DAC for other digital sources, and some models have sub out available.( probably fixed crossover but I'm not sure)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Have you considered one of N series Yamaha integrated units. Network playback and USB input for PC, Ipod, flash drive, etc. On board DAC for other digital sources, and some models have sub out available.( probably fixed crossover but I'm not sure)
OP didn't state a budget, but I would also look at the newest Emotiva offerings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Get a unit with the right connectivity, avrs have all you need or as slippery suggested, the Yamaha 2ch receiver....or maybe the Onkyo 8050 (but the usb only indicates apple connectivity on the feature list, didn't read the manual).

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Let me bump this.

My friend is interested in this Onkyo. I read what all of you wrote. I know sometimes members here will warn about some Onkyo products that are flawed in some way. I see no such warnings for this one, I guess it's fine.

I know it's an older model, so here's my question; it is now 250$ in my parts, it has all my friend wants, should he go for it or you maybe know of a better 250$ deal?

Just throw a suggestion or two (maybe he could be persuaded to stretch it up to 300$, but no more, money's too tight to mention).

He likes stereo music and he plays movies through this stereo set up. He's far from a bass-head. He plays old records and this Onkyo seems to have an acceptable phono stage. He likes headphones, and this model has a built-in DAC that can be utilized over a RCA or optical cable. He plans to hook his desktop PC to one of these to play digital files.

(I honestly think it could do with a 20-30Wpch more;))

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis