2WYCE

Audiophyte
Hello, I plan on getting either a 626 or 727. I pretty much had my mind made up on the 727 after a week of research. I never buy anything when I FIRST make up my mind just in case I can save money on a better price or a different choice, or decide not to get it at all.

Okay, I know anything will be better than my current old-old-school Onkyo HTIB receiver that doesn't even have HDMI ports. I've revisited my research today and looked at the 626 one more time in an attempt to see if I really needed the 727 or if I would be just as happy with the 626, plus $200 in my pocket. Would it be correct to say the only differences between them is that the 727 has:

-15 watts more power (always nice for man-points but probably don't need it in a small 20x12 room)
-2 more HDMI inputs including one on the front (would be nice to have a couple extra and one on the front, but not $200 nice)
-THX certification (don't care)
-3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry on all channels vs on LCR channels on 626 (not an "audiophile" but I am pretty picky with sound quality, most importantly its clarity)

Those are the only differences I can find. I need help on the last difference. I don't know if I would even notice the extra channels of 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry much sonically. Or if I would think it's worth $200. Based on your experience, does anyone know how big of a difference that would make in a small 20x12 room?

If anyone knows any other differences, or has any opinions, please let me know.

If these are the only differences, then I will definitely go with the 626 and put that extra $200 toward getting my new speakers faster!

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I presume another main difference is actually that the 7xx still have the preamp outs and the 6xx do not. Future growth option I would definitely prefer to have. Plus you don't want to choose the lesser receiver before you've decided on speakers. Speakers should be chosen first, even if you buy the receiver before the speakers IMO.

Personally, I'd also opt for a Marantz or Denon over a current model Onkyo, but that's just me. Onkyo is OK, just not my first choice.

2WYCE

Audiophyte
@afterlife2: Thanks for that site! Actually, the 818 is what I had decided on about 3 weeks ago but in the interest of saving money, I did more research to weed out specs/features that might be overkill for my application. While my research also says this one is better, I had to ask myself is it enough better based on what features I'm going to actually use to be worth the extra money. That brought me to the 727 vs 626, however, the 818 had still not been weeded out of my consideration lineup. Now, since you gave me that site, it's back to the top of my list at that price! Thanks for the second opinion. :)

@j_garcia: Thanks. I've never heard that; I always thought you should choose a receiver with the features/specs you need/want and then find speakers that sound good with it. I'll start looking at speakers now also. Thanks for that insight and for pointing out a couple differences that I missed. I'm never going to use an external amp, second sub, nor second zone for this application. So the preamp outs (unless there's a different use for them that I'm not familiar with), the .2 vs .1, and the zoning specs don't matter. I'm also not very familiar with Marantz. Per your suggestion, I did a little reading up on it. The look really nice! Looking in my preferred price range, I came across the NR1604 and the SR6007. I know they seem to be two different classes of devices, but they seem to have the features I want. What are your opinions on them vs the Onkyos mentioned as far as sound quality, features, interface, and reliability go? What comparable Denon models would you suggest I look at?

Anyone else want to chime in?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I presume another main difference is actually that the 7xx still have the preamp outs and the 6xx do not. Future growth option I would definitely prefer to have. Plus you don't want to choose the lesser receiver before you've decided on speakers. Speakers should be chosen first, even if you buy the receiver before the speakers IMO.

Personally, I'd also opt for a Marantz or Denon over a current model Onkyo, but that's just me. Onkyo is OK, just not my first choice.
I know the OP has said they don't care about preouts, but I wanted to point out that Onkyo has been cost cutting like everyone else and the 727 only has sub/zone2/zone3 preouts.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
@afterlife2: Thanks for that site! Actually, the 818 is what I had decided on about 3 weeks ago but in the interest of saving money, I did more research to weed out specs/features that might be overkill for my application. While my research also says this one is better, I had to ask myself is it enough better based on what features I'm going to actually use to be worth the extra money. That brought me to the 727 vs 626, however, the 818 had still not been weeded out of my consideration lineup. Now, since you gave me that site, it's back to the top of my list at that price! Thanks for the second opinion. :)

@j_garcia: Thanks. I've never heard that; I always thought you should choose a receiver with the features/specs you need/want and then find speakers that sound good with it. I'll start looking at speakers now also. Thanks for that insight and for pointing out a couple differences that I missed. I'm never going to use an external amp, second sub, nor second zone for this application. So the preamp outs (unless there's a different use for them that I'm not familiar with), the .2 vs .1, and the zoning specs don't matter. I'm also not very familiar with Marantz. Per your suggestion, I did a little reading up on it. The look really nice! Looking in my preferred price range, I came across the NR1604 and the SR6007. I know they seem to be two different classes of devices, but they seem to have the features I want. What are your opinions on them vs the Onkyos mentioned as far as sound quality, features, interface, and reliability go? What comparable Denon models would you suggest I look at?
Honestly, reliability is actually the reason I'd put Onkyo lower on the list. That's mainly with the more recent models too, because I've used them in the past and they were great. A couple of friends have owned them recently and had problems with them right away, but luck of the draw too. I would actually go for this one: DENON AVR-1912 7.1ch Network A/V Home Theater Receiver w/ Airplay | Accessories4less I picked up a refurb one of these for a little more than that earlier this year for my dad and it's been solid.

Between the 6007 and 1604, I'd go with the 6007. The 1604 is a bit light on power and is designed for smaller system IMO.

I know the OP has said they don't care about preouts, but I wanted to point out that Onkyo has been cost cutting like everyone else and the 727 only has sub/zone2/zone3 preouts.
I didn't verify that it had them, and kind of surprised that they dropped them. I kind of figured based on the OP's info that an external amp probably wasn't going to be needed anytime soon, but it is still an option that is better to have than not have, and since it doesn't have it anyway it's moot for this one :)

2WYCE

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot for your input and suggestions. I'm going to do a little bit of research on that Denon you suggested; I LOVE the price. :D It always helps to get input from some experienced folks and I appreciate the help. Now I'll have to weigh my subjective pros and cons, multiply that by all of your thoughts & suggestions, and make a decision.

K

Krush9

Audiophyte
I currently run a TX-NR626 in my family room (replaced TX-NR706) and it runs much cooler than the 706 with excellent features (blue tooth, wireless, adn sound). Since you are upgrading from an Old school, you will be happy with the 626 great sound, and latest features like bluetooth, and wireless.

That being said, I have been window shopping for a receiver from my basement project and was thinking of the Onkyo TX-NR727, Pioneer VSX-70 and recently the Onkyo TX-NR818. The 818 has a higher power rating, (blue tooth, and wirless features are add on options via adapters). After weighing it out, I am leaning towards the 818 for the Power, and in light of the mention here that they have added a fan since the older models. Also teh 626 runs much cooler than my old 706.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis