Onkyo 604 ----- 805????

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Hi i was thinking about geting a new reciver, i have the 604 now and was wondering if i would be able to tell a big diff. with the 805? And was also wondering if i run my satilite box through the 805 if it would upconvert my non HD channels to 1080p or if i would have to get something different?

Thanks for any help

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The 805 will pass HDMI but will not do a stellar job of scaling.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The TX-SR805 does not scale, but it has tons of power and features.

*The Faroudja DCDi chip in the TX-SR805 is for 480p only.

leo1058

leo1058

Audioholic
that pioneer sounds sweet. got to hear a demo with some def tech and dts master audio. rocked!!!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
The TX-SR805 does not scale, but it has tons of power and features.

*The Faroudja DCDi chip in the TX-SR805 is for 480p only.
The 805 will upscale a 480i or 480P signal to 720P. It's in the 805 manual page 6.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The 805 will upscale a 480i or 480P signal to 720P. It's in the 805 manual page 6.
Onkyo TX-SR805 manual said:
HDMI upconversion of composite video, S-Video,
and component video sources (720p capable).
What this means is that if you use the upconversion (converting composite, s-video, and component video to HDMI) that it will only except up to 720p (which could only be used on the component video input). That manual also covers the TX-SR875, and that data is separated in certain areas (which isn't the case with that specification you mention).

I used to think it scaled too, it doesn't break my heart that it doesn't.:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
What this means is that if you use the upconversion (converting composite, s-video, and component video to HDMI) that it will only except up to 720p (which could only be used on the component video input). That manual also covers the TX-SR875, and that data is separated in certain areas (which isn't the case with that specification you mention).

I used to think it scaled too, it doesn't break my heart that it doesn't.:D
Actually it does but the results are questionable. From AVS:

from a previous reply to similar question:
"...the claim (and reality) for the 605/705/805 is that:
1. They will "up-convert" analog video IN to HDMI OUT. In fact, they will also convert composite and s-video to component OUT.
2. They will "up-scale" analog video to a maximum 720p for component OUT or HDMI OUT. There never has been a claim that they would scale to 1080i or 1080p. In fact, they will "down-convert" 1080i to 720p.
3. They will "pass-through" video untouched if the OUT matches the IN... e.g., HDMI IN = HDMI OUT, s-video IN = s-video OUT."

To add to that, 480i analog in->480p out (on HDMI & component), unless you activate the hidden menu to force 720p...
to access the hidden menu: press & hold AUX on the AVR and push the power/standby button concurrently on the 805"

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
Onkyo 875!!!

Hey I have the Onkyo 875 and it rocks not only with the sound but with the Pic as well!!! It does not have the DcDi but instead the HQV Reon chip which is used in many high end scalers and can up convert to 1080p. You wont notice much of a difference with lets say a LCD TV using a Blu Ray player because of all the digital content but SD TV, satellite reception VCR all look a lot better and do a little reading and you will see no one regrets getting one I know I didn't:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Actually it does but the results are questionable. From AVS:
Could I have a link to the page in that thread that post appeared please?

It sounds like they don't intend for this feature to be used, that's very strange.

It's note worthy that if it does indeed upscale, it does not do with with HDMI sources (which isn't necessary in most cases anyway).

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Could I have a link to the page in that thread that post appeared please?

It sounds like they don't intend for this feature to be used, that's very strange.

It's note worthy that if it does indeed upscale, it does not do with with HDMI sources (which isn't necessary in most cases anyway).
Good edit, I saw your previous post;) BTW, the Manual has a few errors, omissions and ambiguous statements as is the case with most of these type products.:)

The quoted post was from the very large 805 thread. I owned an 805 a few AVR's/SSP's back and used the Hidden Menu to turn on 720P up-scaling. I had forgotten the command sequence and had to look it up. It is a big thread and there are many references to this contained within. Just do a search if you’re interested.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Good edit, I saw your previous post;) BTW, the Manual has a few errors, omissions and ambiguous statements as is the case with most of these type products.:)

The quoted post was from the very large 805 thread. I owned an 805 a few AVR's/SSP's back and used the Hidden Menu to turn on 720P up-scaling. I had forgotten the command sequence and had to look it up. It is a big thread and there are many references to this contained within. Just do a search if you’re interested.
I figured this post was more appropriate. Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself as you saw.:D

I don't have the time at the moment to look it up, maybe I will do that tonight.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I figured this post was more appropriate. Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself as you saw.:D

I don't have the time at the moment to look it up, maybe I will do that tonight.
That’s cool Seth, it is a feature with dubious value hence is un-documented. I thought the 805 was a pretty nice AVR although I preferred the 905 with a more robust amp section and the Reon chip.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That’s cool Seth, it is a feature with dubious value hence is un-documented. I thought the 805 was a pretty nice AVR although I preferred the 905 with a more robust amp section and the Reon chip.
Indeed, but at a fraction of the price the TX-SR805 is a killer deal.:)

Z

Zetram

Audioholic Intern
Hi i was thinking about geting a new reciver, i have the 604 now and was wondering if i would be able to tell a big diff. with the 805? And was also wondering if i run my satilite box through the 805 if it would upconvert my non HD channels to 1080p or if i would have to get something different?

Thanks for any help
Looking at the op, really I don't think it matters what upscaling chip he has, since he's going to use hdmi to connect his cable box and not component. Besides most 1080p hdtv's can deinterlace pretty well on their own anyway.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Looking at the op, really I don't think it matters what upscaling chip he has, since he's going to use hdmi to connect his cable box and not component. Besides most 1080p hdtv's can deinterlace pretty well on their own anyway.
*nods yes*

I don't find scalers in receivers to practical in most situations.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis